Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?

Go down 
+16
Tur-Thalion
DeathCult
Sinistar
DallasBlack
EvyMetal
chewie
MetalGuy71
snooloui
QuothTheRaven
James B.
exact33
bassman
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
mez
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Enchant
Magellan
Arena
Fish (origional vocalist of Marillion)
Proto-Kaw

Some albums from the already mentioned bands:

Spock's Beard-Snow
Marillion-Season's End
Marillion-Clutching At Straws
Marillion-Misplaced Childhood (this and the one above are IMO the best Fish era Marillion and two of the best prog albums of all time)
Pallas-The Dreams Of Men (Mr. Wolfe has one of the coolest bass intros)

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Just some Fish songs, 5 with Marillion in the two alubms mentioned above.
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 pm

some fav prog records:

Nektar REMEMBER THE FUTURE
Nektar RECYCLED
Message FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS
Caravan IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK
Yes DRAMA
Soft Machine VOL ONE
Soft Machine VOL TWO
Renaissance ASHES ARE BURNING
Hawkwind WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME
King Crimson RED
Greenslade BEDTIME MANNERS ARE EXTRA
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 2:00 am

mez wrote:
Chewie, I will check out Marillion, however do you recommend the stuff from 1999 on up?

What about the other albums they have released in the 2000's? I know nothing about this band, though I have heard the name since I was a teenage.

Hey sorry I took so long to answer, but I got this nasty malware issue last week and finally got rid of it.

Prog-wise there isn't much but Marbles and Happiness Is The Road. Everything else is really good pop or rock.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 2:14 am

DallasBlack wrote:

Marillion-Clutching At Straws
Marillion-Misplaced Childhood (this and the one above are IMO the best Fish era Marillion and two of the best prog albums of all time)

I've always enjoyed the darkness that Fugazi had to offer: Assassing, Incubus, She Chameleon. Clutching has the best trio of songs to open up an album... The Hotel Hobbies trilogy is awesome!

Nice Video posts.......... "Brother 52, I don't think so............." cool song.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 9:37 am

Fugazi is a pretty good album and the Hotel Hobbies Trilogy is awesome, Warm Wet Circles is my favorite Marillion song. Fish's solo stuff is worth an investment for any Marillion fan, at least the two albums I have (Raingod's With Zippos and Sunsets On Empire).
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 12:04 pm

You should check out the the first 3 "Vigil In A Wilderness of Mirrors"(which has Janick Gers play a song or two on), "Internal Exile" (Shadowplay is a great song) and Suits(which I don't remember much of but that isn't a bad thing). I think that I will spin these today.... heck, I'll just have a Fish day.

I started getting back into Fish a few years ago and started getting all his albums.

BTW "Sunsets On Empire" is produced by Steve Wilson of PT. he was really busy that year. I think that is when he did some mixing and producing for Marillion that same year for the album "Marillion.com".

So you haven't heard his new one 13th Star. It is a GREAT Fish album.

You gotta get more Fish albums.....
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Though it's technically Prog-Metal, the following are must haves/hears:

Voivod- Dimension Hatross, Nothingface, Angel Rat, The Outer Limits
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 6:30 pm

chewie wrote:
You should check out the the first 3 "Vigil In A Wilderness of Mirrors"(which has Janick Gers play a song or two on), "Internal Exile" (Shadowplay is a great song) and Suits(which I don't remember much of but that isn't a bad thing). I think that I will spin these today.... heck, I'll just have a Fish day.

I started getting back into Fish a few years ago and started getting all his albums.

BTW "Sunsets On Empire" is produced by Steve Wilson of PT. he was really busy that year. I think that is when he did some mixing and producing for Marillion that same year for the album "Marillion.com".

So you haven't heard his new one 13th Star. It is a GREAT Fish album.

You gotta get more Fish albums.....

I know, but those two are the only ones I have found around here. But I do have Fish on my wantlist for future aquasitions (sic). I shall use your suggestions as a starting point
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 10:18 pm

I love King Crimson. Larks' Tongue..., Red, and Starless and Bible Black are a great trio of albums.

I definitely agree with all the praise for Porcupine Tree. They are my favorite band. Saw them live in Atlanta this spring and I believe it to be one of the best shows I've seen.

Also really like The Mars Volta and have seen them twice, but I was kind of disappointed by the sonic quality of their shows, which both times seemed pretty muddy.

Hoping to check out Nektar one of these days. And Spock's Beard.

I have tried to get into Coheed and Cambria, but really haven't been able to for some reason. I might give them a few more tries though. I don't give up on music so easily.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Another Band that I found that is really good is Deadsoul Tribe. They sort of sound like a Tool vibe but they stand on their own!

Also another one is Ephrat - produce by Steven Wilson, and the album itself takes acouple spins but is actually up there with a PT album.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 pm

mez wrote:
Another Band that I found that is really good is Deadsoul Tribe. They sort of sound like a Tool vibe but they stand on their own!

Also another one is Ephrat - produce by Steven Wilson, and the album itself takes acouple spins but is actually up there with a PT album.

I'd 2nd that nomination for Dead Soul Tribe. I'm not sure what it is, but I really dig those guys. (Or guy. I understand it's more of a one-man project or it was early on). Kinda weird since I never cared for Tool, but the vibe of them is present in DST.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:59 pm

I can't really add anything except did someone already mention

Neal Morse..... ???

I realize Spocks Beard and Transatlantic have been I musta missed him....

Orphan Project is worth checking out

Frost*
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 2:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
mez wrote:

I'd 2nd that nomination for Dead Soul Tribe. I'm not sure what it is, but I really dig those guys. (Or guy. I understand it's more of a one-man project or it was early on). Kinda weird since I never cared for Tool, but the vibe of them is present in DST.

It looks like it is a project/band from the former lead singer of Psychotic Waltz, Buddy Lackey, using his real name, Devon Graves. I've been getting ads for these guys for years from Inside Out, but I haven't checked them out yet.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 7:27 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:

I can't really add anything except did someone already mention

Neal Morse..... ???

I realize Spocks Beard and Transatlantic have been I musta missed him....

I didn't mention him because most people here don't like the lyrics in his music. But yeah, his solo material is real good as long as overly Christian lyrics aren't a problem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 1:21 pm

I want to ask, how does Porcupine Tree stack up compared to a Riverside? I love the Floyd influence Riverside has.
Has anyone mentioned Frameshift yet? I enjoy the one with Bach singing though it would probably be more prog-metal.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Man that is a good question Nazgul. It is tough to say, those bands are pretty similar in fashion. They both have influence under their belt by same bands like Floyd. I have all of PT and Riversides albums and enjoy each very much but PT has the edge for me. The hit a climax and emotion at points like no other band seems to do.

I think PT has moments in the songs that they can harmonize like Floyd vocally, and they have some slow moments and sounds that creep in during a good prog song that add the emotion to the song. Also they have a side of Rush in them where they can have a mellow song and all of a sudden break into a Rush riff or something along those lines. Listen to the song "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" if you can find it. I think this song is a great example of all the elements they kick up in all the discog of theirs.

Riverside to me seems to be a mix of the mellow Floyd and some Tool mixed in there. Maybe it is just me but I think those seem to be their influence. You cant go wrong with either though. man maybe I put to much info in here. Sry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 5:58 pm

the "single edit" pulled from the song "Remember The Future Part Two". This section is called "Let it Grow"

Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 6:49 pm

Just some albums that I've been listening to today, that are superb:

Magma - Köhntarkösz
Magma - K.A.
Magma - Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré

Aphrodite's Child - 666
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 7:49 pm

I am a huge PT fan but have never heard Riverside. What is the best disc of theirs to start out with?
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 9:06 pm

mez wrote:
Man that is a good question Nazgul. It is tough to say, those bands are pretty similar in fashion. They both have influence under their belt by same bands like Floyd. I have all of PT and Riversides albums and enjoy each very much but PT has the edge for me. The hit a climax and emotion at points like no other band seems to do.

I think PT has moments in the songs that they can harmonize like Floyd vocally, and they have some slow moments and sounds that creep in during a good prog song that add the emotion to the song. Also they have a side of Rush in them where they can have a mellow song and all of a sudden break into a Rush riff or something along those lines. Listen to the song "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" if you can find it. I think this song is a great example of all the elements they kick up in all the discog of theirs.

Riverside to me seems to be a mix of the mellow Floyd and some Tool mixed in there. Maybe it is just me but I think those seem to be their influence. You cant go wrong with either though. man maybe I put to much info in here. Sry

It's either Lightbulb Sun or Stupid Dream where Steve W. says he was going through a Beach Boys phase and you can totally hear it in the vocals. It's like Floyd with the Beach Boys harmonizing with them.... Awesome Stuff!!!!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 9:11 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Just some albums that I've been listening to today, that are superb:
Aphrodite's Child - 666

I've been curious about this album. Especially since it has Vangelis on it. Is it more Rock based like Yanni in Chameleon?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 9:23 am

mez wrote:

I don't know about their other stuff but Out Of Myself (the one Riverside album I have) sounds like the mellow parts of Opeth mixed with some Pink Floyd to my ears.

Back to the subject of good prog recommendations, try Magellan-Impending Ascension. They have a unique sound that is hard to describe, but the album mentioned is very good IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks for the info, i'll be checking out PT. I'm not a huge prog fan but some bands scratch the itch.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 5:51 pm

Chewie that is dead on about the Beach Boys, and at times I have mentioned that they do have that Beach Boys harmonizing, when I am describing them to friends.

DallasBlack, you know your right and Opeth somehow has been slighted in this thread a bit as an influence. I am only new to them but Detuned suggested them to me and WOW they are talented as well (what I have heard) though I am not into the growling voice, his regular singing voice is EPIC. These guys also clearly wax Prog.

Hey Tur-Thalion, to be honest I dont think you could go wrong with Out of Myself, Rapid Eye Movement, or Second Life Syndrome from Riverside. To me all these albums fit like a trilogy. The most recent album (Anno Domino High Definition) is just as great but it is heavy prog with only 5 songs clocking in around 45 minutes. I think it is a great album to get last once you understand the style they have, it just seems less approachable to come in starting with that album.

Just to add another bands I came across Pendragon (just starting to hear them) and so far I like what I hear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next