Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lucifer's Friend

Go down 
+4
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
manny
Shawn Of Fire
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 9:19 am

This is just too badass not to share...

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 9:36 am

I know Trouble's Eric Wagner is a huge fan...I need to check them out.

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 9:38 am

John Lawton is a badass vocalist. He still sounds like that. Too bad his Heep output was so limpwristed.
Back to top Go down

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 am

Their stuff is WAY too expensive used right now, eventually when a decent priced reissue hits the streets I'm buying their first 5 albums (including the one released under the name Asterix).

They came out of the same Hamburg scene as Nektar. They were originally called German Bonds, then released an album as Asterix, then finally adopted the Lucifer's Friend moniker and recorded their "second debut" under that name.

They were a very talented band, whose main problem was they never did completely figure out what direction they wanted to go in. Their albums have a "everything but the kitchen sink" mentality which I love...but I'm sure might irritate those looking for more straight-ahead stuff.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 am

I have two of their albums on vinyl that a friend just gave me a few weeks ago, excellent material and I agree with Spec, Lawton sounds great with Lucifer's Friend, and he sang great in Uriah Heep but the material Lawton did with Uriah Heep was a major disappointment.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 12:07 pm

That wa righteous!! Never heard of them, but that was cool, man. Was that a french horn?

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 12:23 pm

That horn part was ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
That horn part was ridiculous.

I dunno, I liked it. It kinda came outta left field and added some charm. Especially watching the organist quickly picking it up and putting it down to keep up. Nowadays, he'd just hit a button on his keyboard for a pre-programmed sound effect. He's doing it old-school. Laughing

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 12:40 pm

It's some kind of English horn I think, it's on the studio version as well.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 3:57 pm

I never heard of this band until i heard Trouble's cover of this song on SMC. It's a pretty cool song in the vein of Diamond Head. I don't like the horn though... it takes away from the overall heavy vibe.
Back to top Go down

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Here's the studio version, the horn is mixed more effectively here:

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:30 pm

detuned wrote:
Here's the studio version, the horn is mixed more effectively here:

The singer's voice reminds me of Robert Plant.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Some of my "druggie" friends in college used to listen to this band, Flash and the Pan and other really obscure bands.

I don't remember any songs but I think I remember a Lucifer's Friend album cover with a chick in fishnet stockings.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:43 pm

Yep. I looked it up on Amazon. This is the one I remember. Still don't remember any songs though.

Lucifer's Friend 51Nl4aVlX4L._SL500_AA300_

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 7:02 pm

That was a later lineup with a different vocalist, more pop/rock oriented.

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Good Time Warrior was from the era when they featured Mike Starrs on vocals. By then they were playing an almost AOR/Pomp sort of mix. I like it though, reminds me of the band "Lake", if anyone remembers them.
The Lucifer's Friend album from '81, "Mean Machine" is a return to good Hard Rock.
Back to top Go down

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 7:40 pm

So far I would say I like the second album the best. It still has the heaviness of the first album, but with some interesting progressive rock twists thrown into the mix.

This is the opening track "Hobo" and it's a stomper!

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Great band listened to them quite a bit in the 70's.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lucifer's Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucifer's Friend   Lucifer's Friend Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lucifer's Friend
Page 1 of 1