Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PANTERA question...

Go down 
+8
arttieTHE1manparty
fingers
manny
Troublezone
Joe
onrypt
bassman
Alex Dee Rokket
12 posters
AuthorMessage

PANTERA question... Empty
PostSubject: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:15 am

What is edited out of this cover? What is the dude supposed to have in his hand? Anyone know?

PANTERA question... Pantera-reinventing-the-steel-f
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:18 am

It's probably black label whiskey except they probably didn't have the rights to display the label on the front cover so they took the easy way out.

On another note, great album but horrible, god awful album cover. I guess it's one of those albums you cannot judge by the way the cover looks. However with a title like reinventing the steel I would have hired Ken Kelly to draw up some really awesome looking artwork.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:20 am

It's gotta be Jack Daniels Black Label.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:23 am

Jack Daniels? That makes sense. Yes it is a pretty awesome album. IMO, Pantera have always had horrible album covers.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:28 am

I like the standard album cover of Far Beyond Driven , the blue one not the original deleted one. But that's the only one I like.

Ironically, the album cover for Cowboys From Hell reminds me of a glam metal band, I can't remember which one.
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:33 am

Yeah, I always assumed it was a bottle of Jack. I did like the cover of "Vulgar Display" and the Blue cover on "Far Beyond Driven" that Alex mentioned....RIP Dime, I miss Pantera!
C.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:36 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Ironically, the album cover for Cowboys From Hell reminds me of a glam metal band, I can't remember which one.

Maybe it was this band!

PANTERA question... Pantera

Razz
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 2:55 am

LOL Power Metal is a great album. I think Vinnie Paul should re-release the 80s Pantera albums. Maybe as double discs - one disc being the original recording, the second being a remastered / remixed version with maybe some bonus tracks thrown for good measure.

As much as Vinnie doesn't like admitting it, there are some really strong songs not only on Power Metal but throughout Pantera's 80s albums. Those albums deserve a proper treatment, they belong as much in Pantera's legacy as their more popular albums from the 90s.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 4:22 am

Power Metal is a good album. I think their best years were from '88 to '92.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 7:41 am

I never heard any of those early Pantera albums til earlier this year, when a friend of mine on FB posted a bunch of videos on my wall, it was not bad and I do wish they would reissue them but I prefer the more famous era of Pantera then earlier material.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 7:50 am

I think that 90s Pantera is overall more consistent and has more stand out tracks. The glam era is fun but also a bit hit and miss.

For me, the best Pantera albums are Cowboys from Hell and Far Beyond Driven.

Vulgar Display has some very solid songs but it was the band's first attempt at changing gears towards a heavier sound. I think about half of Vulgar is great, the other half past This Love is less memorable and interesting.

The Great Southern Trend Kill is probably their weakest from that era. There are some very strong songs on there but the album at times feel heavy for the sake of being heavy and all out aggressive.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 8:39 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

The Great Southern Trend Kill is probably their weakest from that era. There are some very strong songs on there but the album at times feel heavy for the sake of being heavy and all out aggressive.

Disagree I have to say either Reinventing the Steel or Far beyond Driven would have to be their weakest post glam album. Far Beyond Driven was a good album for its time but if you look back at it is overrated least with great Southern Trendkill they become more experimental (interesting) and not just proving to the world how hard they are like they just did with Far beyond driven
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

I would have to disagree. I think Trendkill is easily their most underrated album. I think Far Beyond Driven is overrated, personally....

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 3:57 pm

I've always assumed it was a bottle of Jack. While the pic itself is kinda cool, it doesn't really go with the title of the album. Reinventing the Steel? If the guy was forging some steel in the fire perhaps, but jumping thru fire in your underwear and a bottle? What is he reinventing? Where is the steel? His testicles?

More like the cover to a Jackass movie than a record album.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 4:07 pm

It just looks cheap but it does bring their adolescent lyrics to life, which I guess is the point.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 4:08 pm

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

I would have to disagree. I think Trendkill is easily their most underrated album. I think Far Beyond Driven is overrated, personally....

Arttie

I would have to agree with this, I like 'Far Beyond Driven' but this is was not their best album IMO that honor goes to 'Vulgar Display of Power'
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 4:09 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
It just looks cheap but it does bring their adolescent lyrics to life, which I guess is the point.

I agree about the lyrics, at this point in their career, on a lyrical level they were in danger of becoming a parody.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 7:35 pm

As far as album covers, I thought the strongest was The Great Southern Trendkill.
It is certainly more impressive than Reinventing Steel, and I know some of you may hate me for this, but it is also IMO more cool than the blue cover for Far Beyond Driven.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 8:54 pm

ryanmetalman wrote:
As far as album covers, I thought the strongest was The Great Southern Trendkill.
It is certainly more impressive than Reinventing Steel, and I know some of you may hate me for this, but it is also IMO more cool than the blue cover for Far Beyond Driven.

I'd say that would be the best album cover. Music wise, they lost me after Far Beyond Driven. IMO Cowbyoys was the best, Vulgar was almost as good, and Far Beyond was half good, half boring, then anything after was boring. As for the pre-Cowboys, I haven't heard anything from that eara.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PANTERA question...   PANTERA question... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PANTERA question...
Page 1 of 1