Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RIP Leonard Skinner

Go down 
+3
tohostudios
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

RIP Leonard Skinner Empty
PostSubject: RIP Leonard Skinner   RIP Leonard Skinner Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 4:55 pm

Quote :

Leonard Skinner, Namesake of Rock Band, Dies

Leonard Skinner, arguably the most influential high school gym teacher in American popular culture, whose enforcement of a draconian classroom policy against long hair inspired some of his students to name their Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, has died, The Florida Times-Union reported.
Mr. Skinner was 77 and living in a nursing home in Riverside, Fla. A cause of death was not immediately provided but his son, also named Leonard Skinner, told The Times-Union that his father had Alzheimer’s disease.

The elder Mr. Skinner, born Forby Leonard Skinner, was a gym teacher at Robert E. Lee High School in Jacksonville in the 1960s, whose students included Ronnie Van Zant, a founder and lead vocalist of a band known variously as the Noble Five and My Backyard. Seeking a new name the group recalled Mr. Skinner, who was said to have sent Mr. Van Zant and his bandmates to the principal’s office for wearing their hair too long in his class. In a mocking tribute the fledgling band changed its name to Leonard Skinnerd and then, more memorably, to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

In a previous interview with The Times-Union, Mr. Skinner seemed not to be bothered by his association with Lynyrd Skynyrd, whose hits include “Sweet Home Alabama,” “Gimme Three Steps” and, of course, “Free Bird.”
“They were good, talented, hard-working boys,” Mr. Skinner said. “They worked hard, lived hard and boozed hard.”
His son told The Times-Union: “I think he kind of ate it up. He didn’t like it at first, he had mixed emotions later, but I think he kind of liked it eventually.”

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: RIP Leonard Skinner   RIP Leonard Skinner Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 5:23 pm

RIP!!!!

Lynyrd Skynyrd will always be one of my favorite bands of all time.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: RIP Leonard Skinner   RIP Leonard Skinner Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 5:49 pm

RIP!

I love Skynyrd in all its incarnations.

It's cool that the original Mr. Skinner came to like his association to the band.

PostSubject: Re: RIP Leonard Skinner   RIP Leonard Skinner Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 9:19 pm

I agree with Toho. RIP.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: RIP Leonard Skinner   RIP Leonard Skinner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:35 am

I respect Mr Skinner simply for never suing the band or going after royalties. RIP
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: RIP Leonard Skinner   RIP Leonard Skinner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Jesus has long hair. I hope he burns in Hell.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: RIP Leonard Skinner   RIP Leonard Skinner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Really? Ken. Rolling Eyes

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: RIP Leonard Skinner   RIP Leonard Skinner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 10:13 pm

Shiney wrote:
Really? Ken. Rolling Eyes
lol!
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: RIP Leonard Skinner   RIP Leonard Skinner Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 8:06 pm

jstate wrote:
I respect Mr Skinner simply for never suing the band or going after royalties. RIP

QFT.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Leonard Skinner   RIP Leonard Skinner Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP Leonard Skinner
Page 1 of 1