Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury

Go down 
+15
Addy
325ad
Shawn Of Fire
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
Sutekh
manny
snooloui
Alex Dee Rokket
ZetaReticuli
tohostudios
MetalH
GrandNational
Eyesore
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 8:58 am

Eyesore wrote:
Wonder why Cohen is out of the picture. He would have done a brilliant job, I think.

Queen wanted a more mainstream portrayal of Freddie Mercury, where apparently Cohen wanted to show the more decadent side to Mercury's life.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 12:22 am

manny wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Wonder why Cohen is out of the picture. He would have done a brilliant job, I think.

Queen wanted a more mainstream portrayal of Freddie Mercury, where apparently Cohen wanted to show the more decadent side to Mercury's life.

So Cohen wanted to make it memorable and interesting, and the other guys wanted boring. Gotcha.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 11:26 am

Eyesore wrote:
manny wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

So Cohen wanted to make it memorable and interesting, and the other guys wanted boring. Gotcha.  Laughing 

Yea, I read that the guys in Queen didn't want Borat playing Freddie. He might have had the look down, but they were afraid of him being too over-the-top in his performance. So yea, boring PG-13 instead of interesting R. Oh well.

Brian and Roger seem very, very protective of Freddie's legacy and his privacy.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 1:23 pm

Cohen is a brilliant actor. His comedic ventures aside, I think he would have done a brilliant job.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 6:29 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
manny wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Yea, I read that the guys in Queen didn't want Borat playing Freddie. He might have had the look down, but they were afraid of him being too over-the-top in his performance. So yea, boring PG-13 instead of interesting R. Oh well.

Brian and Roger seem very, very protective of Freddie's legacy and his privacy.

It makes sense, they considered him family, not just a friend or bandmate.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 11:32 am

Brain May talked to Rolling Stone about the decision...

Quote :
Now May tells Rolling Stone: “There was a story put out that Sacha had walked out in disgust, but none of that was true. We parted amicably – we’re still in touch and we’re still good friends.

“We just came to the conclusion that it wasn’t going to work with Sacha in the leading role. He’s brilliant; but we felt having him in there would be distracting because he’s such a powerful persona.

“The characters he makes tend to stand out in a way that wouldn’t be suitable for the film. Freddie has to be completely believable – you have to not question for an instant that you’re watching Freddie, and that couldn’t have happened with Sacha.”

May noticed the problem after seeing Borat creator Cohen in Hugo, Les Misarables and The Dictator. “It didn’t occur to us straight away,” the guitarist admits. “He came to us with a lot of great thoughts and great ideas and a lot of enthusiasm.

“It dawned on us slowly as we started to look at what he had done in Hugo. We thought, ‘No, this isn’t going to work,’ and I think that anyone who sees those films will probably have the same feelings.

“We really were enjoying working with him, but you just have to come to a realistic decision in the end.”

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Who?..... Well hopefully they did the right thing. I don't know who this other guy is but I know that Sasha probably would have had freddys moves down. I could see how they would take Sashas other movies into consideration but they shouldn't compare it to what they want him to do. Comedians do serious roles all the time. OH well... heres hoping they didn't just make a mistake.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 2:00 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I could see how they would take Sashas other movies into consideration but they shouldn't compare it to what they want him to do. Comedians do serious roles all the time.

I'm not so sure it's a comparison to what he's done in the past but rather a fear that it might turn into a Sacha Baron Cohen movie i.e. he would be the main drawcard and not the fact that it's a movie about Freddie Mercury. At least that's how I interpreted the statement.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Citanul wrote:
I could see how they would take Sashas other movies into consideration but they shouldn't compare it to what they want him to do. Comedians do serious roles all the time.

I'm not so sure it's a comparison to what he's done in the past but rather a fear that it might turn into a Sacha Baron Cohen movie i.e. he would be the main drawcard and not the fact that it's a movie about Freddie Mercury.  At least that's how I interpreted the statement.

your probably right lol

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Citanul wrote:

I'm not so sure it's a comparison to what he's done in the past but rather a fear that it might turn into a Sacha Baron Cohen movie i.e. he would be the main drawcard and not the fact that it's a movie about Freddie Mercury.  At least that's how I interpreted the statement.

your probably right lol

But that logic makes sense, you want people to recognize the lead. Its a good way to put butts in the seats and appeal to mainstream america.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 2:58 am

That's a shame Sacha Baron Cohen is a very talented guy, but I've thought that he needs to expand his repertoire beyond caricatures of his own creation. This could have been perfect for him. I think that as a general rule, comedians do a good job with straight acting roles (although the term straight acting, may be inappropriate if you are playing Freddie!  lol! )

I hope the film is good as I love Queen and Freddie was such an awesome performer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2