Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury

Go down 
+15
Addy
325ad
Shawn Of Fire
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
Sutekh
manny
snooloui
Alex Dee Rokket
ZetaReticuli
tohostudios
MetalH
GrandNational
Eyesore
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Empty
PostSubject: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 7:05 pm

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/borat-star-to-play-freddie-mercury-in-movie/47336?nc

Think it could work? I've never seen him in a serious role. But put some fake teeth in his mouth, and that's a good match, lookswise.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 7:21 pm

He's got the flamboyant part down, could be good.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 7:30 pm

I think this could work. He does have the looks down... Hope it would do justice to Freddie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 8:05 pm

Beat ya to it:

http://www.heartofmetal.net/gutterbox-f10/sacha-cohen-to-play-freddie-mercury-t14184.htm

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 8:08 pm

he'll do fine, im sure.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 9:38 pm

I am not sure how this will go down.

It's hard to take Cohen seriously considering the past roles he has played. Maybe there is a different side to him than the characters for which he has become famous.

I hope he was not given the part because of his performance in Bruno - I mean just because he played a ga-hey person in the past that shouldn't automatically lead to him playing Freddie Mercury.

In that regard, I fear that Cohen performance as a very flamboyant ga-hey man will overshadow the substance of a movie about the musical genius that was Freddie Mercury. I don't think a movie about Freddie should be turned into a movie about ga-hey activism or ga-hey rights - it shouldn't have anything to do with the artist's sexuality - yes it was relevant but it was relevant only to Freddie and not to the rest it was something personal to him and should remain that way.

Even if Cohen does not bring out his own eccentric antics into the movie, I still fear the public will not take the movie seriously, and simply turn towards something else to make fun of. While I had no problem with laughing at and with Bruno in the movie, I do have a problem with Freddie Mercury becoming a joke. Not only can Freddie no longer defend himself but we have to also think in terms of keeping the legacy of Freddie alive, and that means not tarnishing this iconic and extremely influential artist and making him the topic of ga-hey jokes.

Sorry if I am reading too much into this but I am a big Queen fan and of Freddie. I've always felt Freddie was like an uncle I never met, like an extended member of my family living in another country or something. If a movie is to portray his life I want it to be tasteful and not the subject of cheap jokes.

Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Also why is the word G.A.Y automatically spelled "ga-hey"...

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 10:01 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Beat ya to it:

http://www.heartofmetal.net/gutterbox-f10/sacha-cohen-to-play-freddie-mercury-t14184.htm
Damn! Forgot you guys created a movies folder. Merge 'em! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I am not sure how this will go down.

It's hard to take Cohen seriously considering the past roles he has played. Maybe there is a different side to him than the characters for which he has become famous.

I hope he was not given the part because of his performance in Bruno - I mean just because he played a ga-hey person in the past that shouldn't automatically lead to him playing Freddie Mercury.

In that regard, I fear that Cohen performance as a very flamboyant ga-hey man will overshadow the substance of a movie about the musical genius that was Freddie Mercury. I don't think a movie about Freddie should be turned into a movie about ga-hey activism or ga-hey rights - it shouldn't have anything to do with the artist's sexuality - yes it was relevant but it was relevant only to Freddie and not to the rest it was something personal to him and should remain that way.

Even if Cohen does not bring out his own eccentric antics into the movie, I still fear the public will not take the movie seriously, and simply turn towards something else to make fun of. While I had no problem with laughing at and with Bruno in the movie, I do have a problem with Freddie Mercury becoming a joke. Not only can Freddie no longer defend himself but we have to also think in terms of keeping the legacy of Freddie alive, and that means not tarnishing this iconic and extremely influential artist and making him the topic of ga-hey jokes.

Sorry if I am reading too much into this but I am a big Queen fan and of Freddie. I've always felt Freddie was like an uncle I never met, like an extended member of my family living in another country or something. If a movie is to portray his life I want it to be tasteful and not the subject of cheap jokes.

Dude, you're thinking about it too much.

And...uncle? You realize how bizarre that sounds? Haha.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 11:23 pm

LOL yeah I know it sounds kinda bizarre I dunno I always had a connection with Freddie he seems like such a great frontman and his voice is just really so powerful. Never quite had the same connection with any other musician. I completely agree it's bizarre but just the way I feel I guess...
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 5:38 am

I think he'll do a great job.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 7:14 am

Alex you are going to give him a chance, if the Queen gives are involved (which my understanding they are) this movie will be a honest (at as a movie as able to) portrayal of one of the most important, enigmatic frontman in rock history, and comedians can make some of the most powerful dramatic performances.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 1:42 pm

I think he'll do fine. This isn't about mocking, it's about showing respect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 5:01 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Also why is the word G.A.Y automatically spelled "ga-hey"...

There have been alot of childish dickweeds in the past that have used the word in the inappropriate context.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Knowing Cohen's ability to create characters distinct from each other, I don't have a problem with this at all.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 1:51 pm

I think he'll knock one out of the park with this. He's got a sort of narrow face like Mercury and he's good with voices and affecting mannerisms.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:09 pm

The only minor problem would be his height. Cohen's reportedly 6' 3". Freddy was a pretty small guy at 5' 9". Not a big deal, but could look awkward at times if it's not shot right. Whoever is cast as Brian May will need to be 7 feet tall. Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_lol

Other than that, I could see him in that role.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:41 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The only minor problem would be his height. Cohen's reportedly 6' 3". Freddy was a pretty small guy at 5' 9". Not a big deal, but could look awkward at times if it's not shot right. Whoever is cast as Brian May will need to be 7 feet tall. Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_lol

Other than that, I could see him in that role.

They can make it work, height is not a problem with Hollywood tricks and effects.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:53 am

Quote :
a pretty small guy at 5' 9".

Hey... Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Suspect

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:56 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
a pretty small guy at 5' 9".

Hey... Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Suspect

Yeah, uper 5' might be below average but it's not small.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 11:03 am

If you're shorter than my 5'11 frame, that's small enough. Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_wink Of course, Fat Freddy looks down and laughs at all of us peons.

Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 11:00 pm

How fitting since they are both ga-hey! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Quote :
dickweeds

Thats a word ive not heard in a long time, good one Uncle Saxon Smile
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Q is now Freddy for anyone keeping score...

Quote :
And actor Ben Whishaw, who played Q in James Bond movie Skyfall, has been lined up to play Freddie Mercury after Sacha Baron-Cohen bowed out.

Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Ben_Whishaw

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Wonder why Cohen is out of the picture. He would have done a brilliant job, I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury   Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next