Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Other metal/hard rock biographies?

Go down 
+12
metalken
QuothTheRaven
Addy
chewie
nevermore
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
jstate
Approval Guy
ultmetal
Leatherface
Ben Grimm
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

Other metal/hard rock biographies? Empty
PostSubject: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 11:51 pm

I have almost finished the Dave Mustaine biography and am wondering if there are other rock/metal biographies out there?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18924

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 2:47 am

Isn't Mustaine's book an AUTObiography? Celtic Frost's Tom Warriors book Are You Morbid is an awesome read.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:24 am

Lemmy's autobiography is a great read. It's called "White Line Fever". Definitely recommended from me.

I recently also finished Anvil - The Story of Anvil book. It's much, MUCH more detailed than the movie and covers more history. A worthwhile read if you area fan of the band.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Approval Guy

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:32 am

I'm reading Ozzy's autobiography now and it's great. Plenty of laugh out loud moments.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 am

More biographies of the bands, but I recommend Motley Crue's The Dirt and Martin Popoff's Sabbath book Doom Let Loose.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:35 am

Slash's book wasn't bad. I'm a huge fan, so not too many shocking revelations.

Joey Kramer's (of Aerosmith) was bad. Skip that one.

David Lee Roth's was ok. Too much Dave rambling on and not enough stories from "back in the day". I don't care about him canoeing down the Nile with natives.

Aerosmith's was pretty good, from what I can remember. Although when they were questioned about certain passages on the Howard Stern Show, the guys didin't seem to know what he was talking about, which left me guessing about it's validity.

Motley's 'The Dirt' is what every other autobiography aspires to be. Read that one.

Tommy Lee's 'Tommyland' was better than I thought it would be. His time in prison was a good insight. Might need an ebonics-to-english dictionary though.

Lemmy's 'White Line Fever' was good. Nothing too deep, but just Lemmy telling stories as if you were sitting in a pub with him.

Nikki Sixx's book was a good read. For a strung-out junkie.

Tommy James (of the Shondells fame) gave an interesting look into the music biz of the 60's. Although Tommy makes himself sound like he was bigger than the Beatles.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:47 am

The last rock N roll biography I read was "I Slept With Joey Ramone" by Mickey Leigh (Joey's brother).... great book, I highly recommend it...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:14 am

Give Me An R - Brian Vollmer

Fantastic read from a really cool dude.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Neon Angel : A Memoir Of A Runaway is a pretty good read.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 6:54 pm

okay this isn't Metal but a damn good read:

Other metal/hard rock biographies? Image001
MILES: The Autobiography MILES DAVIS with Quincy Troupe

Damn those jazzers were a bunch of junkies.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:46 pm

I see a few listed already that I want to read
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:20 pm

Walk This Way was good I read it years ago

Slash's auto bio was good much in the same way Mustaine's was

I want to read Ozzy's

I know Ace Frehley is having one come out later this year
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:05 pm

chewie wrote:

I was just going to recommend this one! If you know much about jazz at all, it's amazing to hear Miles recount all the people he played with or hired into his bands who ended up being big on their own. He played with *everyone*! He lived quite the rock n roll lifestyle for a jazzer!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:20 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
chewie wrote:

I was just going to recommend this one! If you know much about jazz at all, it's amazing to hear Miles recount all the people he played with or hired into his bands who ended up being big on their own. He played with *everyone*! He lived quite the rock n roll lifestyle for a jazzer!

That story about the cab ride with Charlie "Byrd" Parker to their first gig together is a doozie.... Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_eek ..... To say the least.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:16 am

I am currently making my way through "Everybody Wants Some - the Van Halen Saga" by Ian Christie. Quite the interesting and revealing book. Lots of little trivia throughout the book :

- that while we all know that Gene Simmons helped the band with their first proper demo, he actually came across the band while he was scoping out another band called the Boyz and VH was opening for them. The guitar player for the Boyz was George Lynch

-the guitar pictured on the album cover of 'Women and Children First' was an Ibanez Destroyer lent to Eddie by local Pasadena guitarist Chris Holmes of W.A.S.P. fame

I am just starting on the Van Hagar part of the book.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:01 pm

Another good one is Anthony Keidis' book
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Planchaaaa
Metal novice
Metal novice
Planchaaaa

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Another nod for Ozzy's and Lemmy's books from me. Both are really fantastic.

I love books about music; especially ones about metal/rock. In many cases i enjoy them almost as much as the music itself. Nerd.

Here's some i've read recently that i would highly recommend:

Saxon - Never Surrender by Biff Byford (support the band, order it from their website!)
The Beast by Paul Di'Anno
Hammer of the Gods: Led Zeppelin Unauthorised by Stephen Davis
When Giants Walked The Earth: A Biography Of Led Zeppelin by Mick Wall (probably the definitive Zepp story thus far)
Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs by John Lydon (not metal, obviously.. but still a great man).
A Journey Through America with the "Rolling Stones" by Robert Greenfield
"Exile on Main Street": A Season in Hell with the "Rolling Stones" by Robert Greenfield
No One Here Gets Out Alive: The Biography of Jim Morrison by Jerry Hopkins
Rat Salad: "Black Sabbath" - The Classic Years 1969-1975 by Paul Wilkinson (probably the best Sabbath book i've read. i hope he does a post-Ozzy sequel)
How Black Was Our Sabbath: An Unauthorised View From The Crew by Graham Wright
"Sabbath" Bloody Sabbath by Joel Mciver (i've only just got this, but it seems like it's divided into 3 parts: 1948-1978/1979-1992, and 1993-2006. Can't wait to read it).

Has anyone read The Story of Judas Priest: Defenders of the Faith by Neil Daniels?. I quite fancy a good read about Priest, but the fact that this same author also wrote an "Ultimate Guide To Linkin Park" book makes me openly question his credentials.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:00 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Anvil - The Story of Anvil book. It's much, MUCH more detailed than the movie and covers more history. A worthwhile read if you area fan of the band.

Yes, great book!

Some other books I've read and can recommend:

Aerosmith -Walk This WAy
Michael Bruce - No More Mister Nice Guy
Lydia Criss - Sealed With A Kiss
Motley Crue - The Dirt
Martin Popoff - Judas Priest: Heavy Metal Painkillers
Nikki Sixx - The Heroin Diaries
Back to top Go down
Planchaaaa
Metal novice
Metal novice
Planchaaaa

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:30 pm

JBall_Z wrote:

I've been wanting that book for AGES. It sells for ridiculous amounts on Amazon and eBay. £100+ as right now, infact.

It was republished in 2007 - i don't understand why it's so rare.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Planchaaaa wrote:
JBall_Z wrote:

I've been wanting that book for AGES. It sells for ridiculous amounts on Amazon and eBay. £100+ as right now, infact.

it is still in print and you get it at regular price from Barnes and Nobles.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 1:00 pm

Planchaaaa wrote:
JBall_Z wrote:

You can also order it directly from the author's website. He may even autograph it for you. When I bought The Collector's Guide To Heavy Metal, Vol. 1 from his website, he personalized it for me. That was a cool and unexpected bonus.

http://www.martinpopoff.com/html/priest.html
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Steven Adler just put out a book.

Also I remember seeing Rudy Sarzo promoting his book on That Metal Show.

Those are probally the next 2 I will seek....Vince Neil has a book coming out soon, sure I will enjoy that one too.

I've read

Slash
Tommyland
Nikki Sixx Heroin Diaries
Hell Ain't a Bad Place To Be (about AC/DC up until around Who Made Who)

I also own a great book for Hair Metal fans called American Hair Metal, I found it by accident at (one of the big book stores, can't remember which) for like 4 bucks!
It's got some great pics, and it tells a little about most of the bands everyone knows plus some of the not so popular ones too....I like it, it's a good book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Other metal/hard rock biographies?   Other metal/hard rock biographies? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Other metal/hard rock biographies?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: