Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The state of double-kick drumming...

Go down 
+3
A Handful of Wayne
shamgar75
Shawn Of Fire
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

The state of double-kick drumming... Empty
PostSubject: The state of double-kick drumming...   The state of double-kick drumming... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:21 pm

http://www.teethofthedivine.com/site/featured/the-state-of-double-kick-drumming/

The state of double-kick drumming... 130177
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: The state of double-kick drumming...   The state of double-kick drumming... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Interesting read. I have to ponder on this a little more. scratch
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: The state of double-kick drumming...   The state of double-kick drumming... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Being a drummer I feel the same way. I like double kick, but sometimes it does just get over the top and I get annoyed when I hear all this programmed drumming. What happened to all the real drummers? I do double pedal a lot but only when I feel it should fit in. Otherwise I mainly do single pedal stuff.

What I really think it has to do with is everyone is trying to be heavier, faster and harder than everyone else, when it doesn't even have to be that way. I mean even Slayer doesn't even do as much double pedal as some of these new bands do nowadays. When I saw Anvil there were a few bands that opened for them and they were just all horrible. On top of them being horrible every song was just double pedal after double pedal. It gets boring, but thats what seems to sell nowadays.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The state of double-kick drumming...   The state of double-kick drumming... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:41 am

Yeah, I like double-kick drumming, but when the whole song sounds like someone running sprinting on the pedals, it gets real boring real quick. What triggered my essay was more the current wave of Deathcore, Screamo, whatever you want to call it type bands...that stuff is double-kick insanity! It's impressive at first, but even that is circumvented once you know how they get it to sound like that.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: The state of double-kick drumming...   The state of double-kick drumming... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:23 am

Once it's loaded into a computer and tweaked that pretty much ends how cool it is, for me at least. Being somewhat of a drummer and listening to guys like Terry Bozzio, Neil Peart, Phil Collins, Bill Bruford, Phil Ehart, Billy Cobham, Mike Portnoy and some others who play with and around the beat it's hard listening to machine gun like double bass the WHOLE ALBUM..... I just get bored with it........

I'm starting to get into Cozy Powell and his style.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The state of double-kick drumming...   The state of double-kick drumming... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:57 am

Good article, SoF.

I think that's part of the reason I got bored with allot of the power metal genre. The tempos were all blasting through at break-neck speed making all the songs and bands sound the same to me.

I certainly don't mind the double-kick drumming in my thrash, but at least they tend to vary up the beat every now & then.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12611

PostSubject: Re: The state of double-kick drumming...   The state of double-kick drumming... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:09 pm

chewie wrote:
Once it's loaded into a computer and tweaked that pretty much ends how cool it is, for me at least. Being somewhat of a drummer and listening to guys like Terry Bozzio, Neil Peart, Phil Collins, Bill Bruford, Phil Ehart, Billy Cobham, Mike Portnoy and some others who play with and around the beat it's hard listening to machine gun like double bass the WHOLE ALBUM..... I just get bored with it........

I'm starting to get into Cozy Powell and his style.

good choices on those old 70's dudes
you can't go wrong with Cozy
check out Tommy Aldridge w/ Black Oak Arkansas

I despise blast beats and the typical power metal style of drumming. The old school thrash bands used double bass as an accent more than just all out driving the song. It was also dynamic and had a groove to it. Not just playing BPM as fast as possible.

Thanks for the article Shawn

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The state of double-kick drumming...   The state of double-kick drumming... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Anything can go overboard: riffing, vocal histrionics, soloing ...

This is just one example.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: The state of double-kick drumming...   The state of double-kick drumming... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Anything can go overboard: riffing, vocal histrionics, soloing ...

This is just one example.

Even replying to threads Laughing

PostSubject: Re: The state of double-kick drumming...   The state of double-kick drumming... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The state of double-kick drumming...
Page 1 of 1