Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Waking up dead.

Go down 
+2
ultmetal
kethdredd
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

Waking up dead. Empty
PostSubject: Waking up dead.   Waking up dead. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 8:09 am

Anyone seen it? Waking up dead is a pretty good documentary about the life of Phil Varone, former Saigon Kick/Skid Row drummer. It follows him around for about 4 years. The movie gives some good insights on the music business and touring life. Phil had a big cocaine addiction that basically forced him to stop doing music. (HE does stand up comedy now). Interesting guy.

Forced me to pull out The Lizard. Great disc. Good metal with the slightest tinge of alternative thrown in. Saigon Kick was a band that got caught between genre changes in the music business. They never were marketed properly because of this. They did achieve a limited amount of success with the Love is on the Way single. But thats about it.

I found the business side of the music industry pretty fascinating. It cost $125000 to produce SK's first record. They were actually signed to a subsidiary of Atlantic called Third Stone that was owned by Michael Douglass (the actor). According to Phil, the contract they signed was horrible and he saw a total of $1100 out of the three records they did.

I think that technology has really made record labels a thing of the past. I don't know for certain how much it costs to make a sonically "good" record nowadays, but its significantly less that $125,000. With the advent of Protools and relatively cheap digital recording equipment, you can produce a great record out of your basement. What do you think Deliverance's recording of As Above, So Below costed?

Anyways, good movie. It also showed me what an incredible music selection that Netflix has. Just about anything you can think of is on there.

http://www.wakingupdeadmovie.com/
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Waking up dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waking up dead.   Waking up dead. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 am

Sounds like an interesting movie. Hard to believe that those Skid Row records would only make the artist $1,100.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

Waking up dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waking up dead.   Waking up dead. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 9:46 am

ultmetal wrote:
Sounds like an interesting movie. Hard to believe that those Skid Row records would only make the artist $1,100.

He didn't play on any of the Skid Row records that actually sold Smile
Back to top Go down

Waking up dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waking up dead.   Waking up dead. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 10:04 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

He didn't play on any of the Skid Row records that actually sold Smile

That's what I'm thinking. Viv Camblell said something similar about Def Leppard. He's been on a few albums now, but none of them have sold well at all...he makes all his money with the band on stage while the other 4 make $$ off of 'Hysteria' & 'Pyromaina'...

The only album Viv has made any money on with DL was 'Rock Of Ages' cuz a couple songs he wrote was on it and it sold very well...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Waking up dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waking up dead.   Waking up dead. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 10:59 am

I think the only Skid Row disc Varone played on was THICKSKIN (the first disc with replacement singer Johnny Solinger), and by then the band was already well past its freshness date so the album sank without a trace
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Waking up dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waking up dead.   Waking up dead. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 12:01 pm

Mildy off topic, but "Waking Up Dead" sounds like the title for Dave Mustaine's biography. That or "I was in Metallica, don't you know?".

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28453

Waking up dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waking up dead.   Waking up dead. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 10:13 pm

Smindas wrote:
Mildy off topic, but "Waking Up Dead" sounds like the title for Dave Mustaine's biography. That or "I was in Metallica, don't you know?".

I figured a Megadeth reference would be made.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Waking up dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waking up dead.   Waking up dead. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 10:59 am

ultmetal wrote:

I think he was talking about Saigon Kick, not Skid Row. And yes, Freddy was right too. Phil only played on Thickskin. If he made $1100 on that one, he was overpaid. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Waking up dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waking up dead.   Waking up dead. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 1:09 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I think he was talking about Saigon Kick, not Skid Row. And yes, Freddy was right too. Phil only played on Thickskin. If he made $1100 on that one, he was overpaid. Very Happy

Amen! Boy did that album blow goat!!

I love those first two Saigon Kick releases though. They were a very unique sounding band that never got their due. Probably because they were a little too weird/alternative leaning for the hair metal crowd, but too "hair metal" for the alternative audience, if that makes any sense.

So this Varone guy is doing standup comedy now? Is he any good?
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

Waking up dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waking up dead.   Waking up dead. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 2:16 pm

Quote :

So this Varone guy is doing standup comedy now? Is he any good?

No clue, the movie basically focused on his coke addiction, groupies, and the business.

Basically at 125k to produce their 1st record, 200k a video, its very difficult for a band to earn their money back.

Heres an interview with Phil Varone: http://www.sleazeroxx.com/interviews/varone.shtml
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Waking up dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waking up dead.   Waking up dead. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Waking up dead.
Page 1 of 1