Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You

Go down 
+3
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Empty
PostSubject: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 10:10 pm

New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Captain_america_deadA few months ago I wrote an expose on Marvel's Captain America comics number 602 in which the writers and artists of the book portrayed Captain America saying that Tea Party groups in America are racist and dangerous. It looks like the makers of next year's Captain America movie in Hollywood have taken that Cappy-against-America theme for its new movie, too, because according to the film's director this film will feature a Captain America that is "not a flag-waver."

Once again we have Hollywood taking a classic, super-American character and turning him into a self-loathing, anti-hero.

So, what will we have? We'll have a Captain America that is filmed in a foreign country that fosters a suitably un-American loathing for the very country whose colors he wears.
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/publius-forum/2010/07/new-captain-america-movie-dear-america-im-just-not-that-into-you.html

---------------------------

lol, i just read about this online and couldn't believe it. whats everyones thoughts on it?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 10:14 pm

Cap is looking chubby and awkward in the pics I've seen. On a related note: 70% of people who see the film, including whoever it is that wrote this, have probably read an absolute maximum of 5 comics involving Cap and are the same dregs that guffaw at a medium like comic books unless and until the hulking underground movement gets some kind of attention from a mainstream outlet such as Hollywood - at that time, they become passionate philosophers on the subject. In response I say: F*** off, all of you.

Of course that doesn't mean I'm going to see the film. I love Marvel but their movies, IMO, are pretty worthless. Sad
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39655

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 10:22 pm

I noticed in that article that the author didn't know that there have been a number of people who were Captain America.It's only been that way for almost 50 years now.Why can't these people stick to what they know ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 10:27 pm

i just hope he's not as unpatriotic as they are all saying. whats the matter with keeping him pro american? i never read the captain america comic book alot but from what i knew he definately bled red white and blue. its just funny how hollywood is. they ruin the original stories for nearly every movie out there, lol.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:08 pm

He will hopefully be a real American, which is something foreign to most Americans these days (important things from Wiki follow):

"....The series also dealt with the Marvel Universe's version of the Watergate scandal, making Rogers so uncertain about his role that he abandons his Captain America identity in favor of one called Nomad. During this time, several men unsuccessfully assume the Captain America identity.[39]
[Steve] Rogers eventually re-assumes it after coming to consider that the
identity could be a symbol of American ideals and not its government;
it's a personal conviction epitomized when he later confronted a corrupt
Army officer attempting to manipulate him by appealing to his loyalty,
"I'm loyal to nothing, General.. except the [American] Dream."

As part of the aftermath of Marvel Comics' company crossover "Civil War", Steve Rogers was killed in Captain America vol. 5, #25 (March 2007). Series writer Ed Brubaker
remarked, "What I found is that all the really hard-core left-wing fans
want Cap to be standing out on and giving speeches on the street corner
against the George W. Bush administration, and all the really right-wing fans all want him to be over in the streets of Baghdad, punching out Saddam Hussein".[18]

so at this point, the conclusion may very well be that Cap just doesn't end up being patriotic enough for anyone...of course, this film will deal mainly with his origins and the WWII storylines, so there may be more 'black and white' context to work with, I suppose..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:13 pm

Wow. All the problems we have in the country right now...and we're worried about comic book characters being misinterpreted? Yep, this country has gotten significantly dumber in my lifetime.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:32 am

detuned wrote:
Wow. All the problems we have in the country right now...and we're worried about comic book characters being misinterpreted? Yep, this country has gotten significantly dumber in my lifetime.

plus comics were meant to entertain and to allow readers to enter a different universe. Leave the politics to the present day and tell a good story.

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 4:43 am

my fist can allow readers to enter a different universe lul
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 7:33 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
my fist can allow readers to enter a different universe lul

but i doubt it can tell a good story...

Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:13 am

This guy has no clue what he's talking about. Very Happy

What does he want? Captain FOX News?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:44 am

The current trend for all of these comic book movies is to make 'em "gritty" so they don't come off as corny or lame. Whoever is writing/directing this Captain America movie is just following that Hollywood format.

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 11:09 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The current trend for all of these comic book movies is to make 'em "gritty" so they don't come off as corny or lame. Whoever is writing/directing this Captain America movie is just following that Hollywood format.

Making it relevant for 2010 would be a concern, considering the character was introduced in 1941 and it's not the same country or world for that matter 70 years later...

Most stuff from the 40's has an overbearing "beat you over the head with patriotism" vibe, because that's the propaganda that fed the war machine. I don't have a problem with that, it was necessary for survival.

But in 2010, it's hard to find a bigger villain than us....

Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 am

Let's not jump the gun on the "grim 'n' gritty" stuff. Iron Man wasn't grim 'n' gritty and Captain America is part of the same "Marvel Cinematic Universe". Captain America isn't going to be The Dark Knight. It's probably going to be taking it's cues from the Ultimate Captain America though and possibly be a bit more realistic, they've already done that with the costume.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:32 pm

This is all tempest in a teapot stuff. The fact is that foreign audiences don't have any problem with American heroes - if they did American films would constantly bomb all over the world and Sylvester Stallone's career would have ended decades ago - but Hollywood is always scared @#!$less that they do, so they overcompensate and try to stave off any complaints of too much patriotism by throwing these little bones to foreign distributors. "Oh, yeah, see Superman is American but he's not THAT American *snicker*". Every indication so far is the Captain America movie is basically going to be a superhero version of Indiana Jones, right down to the Nazi-punching and the fact the director actually worked on Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:37 pm

Yeah we are a terrible nation. That's why everybody wants to come here. Lol. Just another example of Hollywood fing things up. Definately won't see this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 11:10 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
This guy has no clue what he's talking about. New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_biggrin

What does he want? Captain FOX News?

lol
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 am

It is a movie based on a Marvel super hero, it is not a political film, I doubt a character called Captain America is going to turn into Captain Jihad!!!!!!! What do you want them to do? Hire Sara Palin as a love interest? From their love nest they will be able to see Russia.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:58 am

Sarah Palin should be cast as Sharon Carter! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39655

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 9:09 am

Since this is dealing with Cap's origin and set in WWII,I think it will be a pretty good movie. His WWII adventures were always rather interesting,I think. Plus I read the Cosmic Cube will be in it and I've been partial to those stories as well.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 10:52 am

BTW here is a clip of the Avengers cast :

New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You The%20avengers The cast and director of "The Avengers" pose at ComicCon in San Diego last week. From left are Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Chris Evans (Captain America), Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury), Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Mark Ruffalo (The Hulk) and director Joss Whedon. (AP Photo)
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 10:57 am

Who's the guy clutching Downey?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 11:27 am

I do not know who Mark Ruffalo is but he will be playing Bruce Banner in the Avengers flick since Edward Norton ( I think that is his name) was not asked to return by Marvel/Disney Studios.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 11:28 am

Jeremy Renner - Hawkeye

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0719637/
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 11:29 am

detuned wrote:
Jeremy Renner - Hawkeye

[url=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0719637/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0719637/[/quote[/url]]

OK I donot know who either of those actors are, sorry MG.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 11:33 am

manny wrote:
detuned wrote:
Jeremy Renner - Hawkeye

[url=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0719637/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0719637/[/quote[/url]]

OK I donot know who either of those actors are, sorry MG.

You've probably seen Ruffalo before, he's been a very busy character actor for quite awhile now, a very good actor.

Renner was the main guy in "The Hurt Locker" and has also had a bunch of small roles on TV and movies.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You   New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Captain America Movie: Dear America, I'm Just Not That Into You
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next