Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history

Go down 
+13
SAHB Healer
Dave the Boss
chewie
stepcousin
MetalGuy71
James B.
Fat Freddy
manny
INVADERS
Lurideath
Jesusandmetal23
Stender
Joe
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Empty
PostSubject: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 5:56 pm

What are some of the most legendary tours in metal history? For example, people still talk about the Metallica/Ozzy tour in 1986, where Metallica blew Ozzy off the stage every night. Another similar tour would be the Van halen/Black Sabbath tour of 1978. These shows have gone down as heavy metal lore, their storied passed down through metalhead generations. What are some similar tours which fans are still talking about to this day?
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 6:04 pm

I think the GNR/Metallica tour in 1992 was pretty legendary.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 6:14 pm

not metal, but youth brigade, social distortion, and minor threats north american tour from 1982.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Crash of The titans

And a one off show, Thrash of the Titans, which featured Testament with Souza under the name Legacy, and Forbidden going under the name forbidden evil. This was I think 2001. Death Angel reformed as well for that show.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
Crash of The titans

And a one off show, Thrash of the Titans, which featured Testament with Souza under the name Legacy, and Forbidden going under the name forbidden evil. This was I think 2001. Death Angel reformed as well for that show.

So did Vio-lence. Yes, that was 2001. Good call! The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_horns
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 8:07 pm

Joe wrote:
Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
Crash of The titans

So did Vio-lence. Yes, that was 2001. Good call! The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_horns

Yeah Vio-lence was on that bill without Flynn. Not to mention it was the first show for "Legacy" since about '82 or so.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 10:30 pm

Ozzy/Motley Crue
Sepultura/Obituary/Sadus

Napalm Death/Carcass/Cathedral/Brutal Truth (also known as The Campaign for Musical Destruction Tour)

Van Halen/Scorpions/Metallica/Dokken/Kingdom Come (Monsters of Rock)
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:30 pm

Maiden's World Slavery Tour
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 4:39 am

The Monsters of Rock tour with Van Halen, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken and Kingdom Come.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 4:58 am

manny wrote:
The Monsters of Rock tour with Van Halen, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken and Kingdom Come.

I was dere! The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history 320592

How'bout... Raven/Metallica's "KILL'EM ALL FOR ONE" tour in 1983

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 5:06 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

I saw that Monsters of Rock tour, I would also add the Aerosmith/Ted Nugent tour in the 80's (saw it) and one that is legendary for the wrong reasons the Jimi Hendrix Experience opening for the Monkees in 1967.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 5:19 am

In 1983, the triple bill of Maiden, Saxon, and Fastway came thru So. Calif.

It was a really great night The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history 11840

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 5:43 am

manny wrote:

I remember going with friends at the last minute to hang out in the parking lot for that show. We didn't get tickets or anything and had no intention of actually going in. We just tailgated in the parking lot. Heard some of the show. Didn't see any of it.

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 6:12 am

1995's Dissection, At the Gates, Morbid Angel
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 6:26 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

I saw the Monsters Of Rock in 1988. Wouldve liked to have seen the Raven/Metallica show.

How about Rush opening for Kiss back in 1975, now that wouldve been awesome!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 6:33 am

W.A.S.P. - METALLICA - ARMORED SAINT

aka - the official "Metallica should be the headliners" tour

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 6:42 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:

I remember going with friends at the last minute to hang out in the parking lot for that show. We didn't get tickets or anything and had no intention of actually going in. We just tailgated in the parking lot. Heard some of the show. Didn't see any of it.

I had the worst seats EVER for the VH Monsters of Rock tour @ Giants Stadium - upper tier, behind the stage. When my friends and I went to Ticketmaster that was all they had left. We hemmed and hawed for a couple of minutes about it and finally decided "Screw it, we gotta have'em" cuz we were all dying to see Metallica live for the first time.

So yeah, we basically watched everyone's backs for the entire show. Once in a while Don Dokken turned around, pointed to our section and asked "How you guys doin' back there?" or a Metallica guy would turn towards the back and give us a fist pump, but that was about it.

Even though the seats kinda sucked, it did give us an interesting view of the backstage goings-on. We saw some non-performers like Charlie from Anthrax and Gene Simmons and Eric Carr of KISS hanging around backstage, and at one point while Dokken were playing, George Lynch's guitar cut out and he walked behind the amps all pissed off and kicked his guitar tech square in the ass Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 6:46 am

Quote :
Even though the seats kinda sucked, it did give us an interesting view of the backstage goings-on. We saw some non-performers like Charlie from Anthrax and Gene Simmons and Eric Carr of KISS hanging around backstage, and at one point while Dokken were playing, George Lynch's guitar cut out and he walk behind the amps all pissed off and kicked his guitar tech square in the ass The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history 201269

I had a similiar experience when we saw Guns n' Roses at the Hershey Outdoor Arena. While our craptacular seats didint offer much view of the front of the stage, we could get a pretty good look at the backstage area, watching Slash doing wheelies on a BMX bike, seeing Matt Sorum playing his drumsticks on the railing, groupies standing around, goofy stuff like that.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 7:46 am

HellBellsLiveWire wrote:
What are some of the most legendary tours in metal history? For example, people still talk about the Metallica/Ozzy tour in 1986, where Metallica blew Ozzy off the stage every night.

I saw this Tour at The Cow Palace in San Francisco.... It was the first show with my friends from high school and my first "real" show.

I had previously seen Eddie & The Tide and Greg Khin at the Santa Clara County Fair with my Mom & Brother.... both free shows... both were good shows, though. I still dig both bands.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 7:48 am

Manowar and Mercyful Fate UK tour. Now THAT would've been an awesome gig.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 7:53 am

I wish I had seen the Metallica/Raven/W.A.S.P tour, and didn't Metallica open for Venom on a Europeon tour, that would have been killer to have seen.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 7:57 am

An awesome tour that never happened would've been the Pagan Altar/Metallica tour in 1982 or 1983. The guys from Pagan Altar received the offer to tour with them, but couldn't afford the plane tickets. I can't imagine how awesome that must've been.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 am

When I was in 8th grade, one of my friends saw Iron Maiden's POWERSLAVE tour at Radio City Music Hall in NYC, with THE WARNING era Queensryche opening. He still speaks of that show in tones of awe to this very day. And I am still jealous as hell. Laughing

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 1:14 pm

The one that I remember best was Judas Priest/UFO in 1979. It was pretty much the Unleashed In The East set followed by the Strangers In The Night set, more or less. I don't think it gets any better than that.

also Maiden/Priest in '82

and Wishbone Ash/Nazareth/BOC/Uriah Heep which was considered an oldies tour in '94 but that sort of thing is normal now.

also the Lollapalooza -2 in '93 that featured Soundgarden, Ministry, Pearl Jam, and I don't remember what all.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Quote :
1995's Dissection, At the Gates, Morbid Angel

Yeah I seen that one in San Fran! What a killer show that was!

Also have to add:

Trouble/Cathedral (1995/96)
Slayer/Overkill (1985)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history   The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The most legendary tours in Heavy Metal history
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next