Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name

Go down 
+5
Hamer12
Thrasher73
Required Fields
ultmetal
kethdredd
9 posters
AuthorMessage
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Empty
PostSubject: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 9:37 pm

I was listening to Cinderella's Long Cold Winter today and thinking about waht a fantastic album it is. I wonder how many people never gave them a chance because of their "hair metal" image. There isnt a glam moment on the entire disc, just fantastic blues based rock.

It got me wondering how many other bands out there that were pigeonholed by their look. Or perhaps crippled with a cruddy name. I have been known to completely ignore a band becuase I hated the album cover (Zion's Thunder From the Mountain comes to mind).

Any you guys could think of?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2007 12:24 am

kethdredd wrote:
I was listening to Cinderella's Long Cold Winter today and thinking about waht a fantastic album it is. I wonder how many people never gave them a chance because of their "hair metal" image. There isnt a glam moment on the entire disc, just fantastic blues based rock.
The Night Songs image was clearly a very conscious thing. Still, Cinderella never released a bad album. They're all great!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2007 9:11 am

I often thought that VICIOUS RUMORS were overlooked due to their name, as opposed to their album art. Their name sounds sort of LA, glammy, but in fact they are an incredible classic power metal band similar to Metal Church.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2007 9:18 am

Laaz Rockit sounds more like a name that a hair band would use, as opposed to a thrash band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2007 9:19 am

Nasty Savage-sounds like glam but its a thrash band
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2007 11:03 am

I'ts only 1 cd but Cathedral's Supernatural Birth Machine comes to mind, they look like a bunch of guys we used to beat up in high school.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2007 12:28 pm

I can't say that I was really a fan, but I remember long ago seeing a video by HELMET and thinking "These guys look like frat-boy jocks. They don't match the music they're making." I think they are also partly responsible for that 90's "alt-metal" look of t-shirts, baggy shorts, and baseball caps.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39652

PostSubject: Re: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2007 11:06 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Laaz Rockit sounds more like a name that a hair band would use, as opposed to a thrash band.

Thats who I thought of when I saw this thread
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2007 11:58 pm

I always think of Pretty Maids when this comes up. They're a melodic rock band with some bite, not a glam band.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2007 1:28 pm

Required Fields wrote:

If you listen to the first two L.R. albums (City's Gonna Burn and No Stranger To Danger) they kinda sound like they didn't know if they were supposed to be a hair band, a straight-up metal band, or a thrash band either. It took them a while to find their niche. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2007 8:52 pm

Quick quote courtesy of Encyclopedia Metallum (in case anyone was wondering about the origin of the name):

"The name Laaz Rockit came from the Clint Eastwood movie "The Enforcer"
where Clint ends the film by shooting a tower with a "L"ight
"A"nti-tank "W"eapons "S"ystem rocket [LAWS]. The band adopted the
name, changing the spelling to Lääz Rockit. The name was chosen to
describe their raw energy and explosive stage presence."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name   Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Groups that are better than their image/cd cover/name
Page 1 of 1