Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

King James - The Fall

Go down 
+15
ryanmetalman
Eyesore
Waylon
Orion Crystal Ice
Rex
Dave the Boss
Metallic Blaze
kmorg
exact33
Fat Freddy
Zdan
thejokeriv
Hamer12
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

King James - The Fall Empty
PostSubject: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:04 am

Is anyone familiar with this band? Their first album featured Rex Carroll (Whitecross), Tim Gaines (Stryper), Robert Sweet (Stryper) and vocalist James Bennett. "The Fall" was their second album, with the two Stryper guys long gone. This album switched styles to a much more 1990's, Stone Temple Pilots influenced style.

It's about to be re-released by Retroactive Records, with Cliffy doing the remastering. Hearing this album again, I hear a lot of similarities to Black Label Society, thought The Fall predates BLS by a couple years.

Any thoughts on this album?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:20 am

Quote :
I hear a lot of similarities to Black Label Society

Never heard of them, but that intrigues me. After a long lay-off, I'm finally starting to enjoy BLS again.

Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:21 am

I haven't heard it, but if it sounds like B.L.S., I'm in!!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:26 am

The comparison comes from those heavy downtuned stop/start riffs, the use of some pinch harmonics, and the vocals.

PM me your email address and I'll shoot you over a sample m4a file to check out.

ult

Last edited by ultmetal on Wed May 12, 2010 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:51 am

Ult, you should update the review on your site. It's a little sparse.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 11:03 am

Ha. I noticed that. I will be writing a new review for the remastered CD.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 11:48 am

I've got the first one, never heard the second. I wasn't all that impressed with the first one. I bought because of the names behind it and was expecting much more.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 12:17 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I've got the first one, never heard the second. I wasn't all that impressed with the first one. I bought because of the names behind it and was expecting much more.

The Fall doesn't sound anything like it. I didnt' care that much for the first album either.

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 12:42 pm

If it does sound like BLS I am all in. I really love BLS so any band that sounds like them is OK in my book.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 1:02 pm

I thought the first King James album was booooooring. Never even knew they did a second one!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 1:08 pm

The Fall was much better than the first. It is a lot heavier.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:10 pm

It's been years since I listened to it, and frankly never cared much for it. Love the debut though..

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 2:13 am

I really liked the debut, but never did hear this follow-up.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 10:33 am

Never heard their music, but the name always seemed rather weird to me. It wouldn't make any sense either to call your band New International right? Razz
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 10:40 am

Dave the Boss wrote:
Never heard their music, but the name always seemed rather weird to me. It wouldn't make any sense either to call your band New International right? Razz

Actually, if you consider that the band is made up of Rex (King) Carroll and Jimi (James) Bennett, the name makes perfect sense.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 10:42 am

ultmetal wrote:
Dave the Boss wrote:

Actually, if you consider that the band is made up of Rex (King) Carroll and Jimi (James) Bennett, the name makes perfect sense.

Yeah, I guess so. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Robert's cover for it rules too.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 12:20 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:

I would go for New King James at the very least. Only a band actually made up of RINOS or Satanists would call themselves New International Version.
Back to top Go down
Waylon
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Ult, I have both CDs... the first one was just ok (take it or leave it). The second one is MUCH better (MUCH heavier). The song NEVER IS FOREVER is probably my FAV off of it... and is one that a band I was in used to cover. King James - The Fall 11840
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 1:50 pm

Shiney sent me this a long time ago and I really dig it. Had no idea they had a first album. I'll have to hunt that down.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 11:07 pm

I had the first one and didn't care for it. I think Prisoner and The Hard Road to Go were the only songs I cared for (the rest was boring), and I couldn't get into the vocals. I never bothered with the second, though I have heard other people say it was better.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
I really liked the debut, but never did hear this follow-up.

Likewise. I really like the song "Prisoner".
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 10:33 am

I have both their albums, although I havent heard them in a couple years. The Fall is pretty cool, it's heavy and has some really catchy riffs.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 2:20 pm

I found the first album last year.... boring stuff.... with perhaps 1 or 2 redeeming tracks.... already offed it on Ebay...

This second album sounds NOTHING like the first.... completely different stuff.... I just reviewed the new Rex Carroll Band album... great stuff.....

The Fall is forthcoming.... need to spin it a few more times....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 2:24 pm

I still have their first one, and really like it, but the second i traded it some time ago, A smurf poo album, it sounded like grunge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: King James - The Fall   King James - The Fall Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

King James - The Fall
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next