Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Most underrated drummers in metal

Go down 
+28
bassman
ultmetal
Lionheartâ„¢
Joe C
metalheaded
Troublezone
brontotex
Lurideath
Leatherface
Olafsto
mr.electric39
Required Fields
Hamer12
Gilbert
Grimmo
MetalRob331
Schbopo
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
Metallic Blaze
Fat Freddy
GrandNational
Jesusandmetal23
ZetaReticuli
Orion Crystal Ice
akeldama
Dave the Boss
Temple of Blood
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Most underrated drummers in metal Empty
PostSubject: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 7:19 pm

Steve Jacobs (amazing work with FORBIDDEN, although those albums could've been better)

Kirk Arrington (hands-down the most underrated. Should've been in METALLICA! Imagine how great that would've been.)

Mark Zonder (he gets some love occasionally but considering how great his playing was in WARLORD and FATES WARNING it's not enough)

Mikky Dee (they still haven't been able to adequately replace him in KING DIAMOND's band)

Rick Colacula (inimitable style)
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Randy Foxe, ex-Manilla Road drummer. His drumming on LPs like The Deluge, Mystification and Open the Gates is symply amazing. It's too bad he left the band after the 1990 LP Courts of Chaos.

Mark Zonder, ex-Warlord and ex-Fates Warning. If you'd leave out the guitars, vocals and bass on a song Zonder plays on, you'd still have an amazing track. A lot of times I listen to Warlord, I just focus on his drumming. Amazing.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Lance Garvin (Living Sacrifice, Soul Embraced)
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Mat Stancioiu (brings a wonderful heap of influence from the Sean Reinert, etc, school to power metal...a master of answering the question of 'what can be done with this rhythm?' see Labyrinth tracks: This World, Lost, Neverending Rest)

Rick Colaluca (one electric drum set, one acoustic drum set, and more interesting work on 2 albums then Peart had through most of the 80's, see WatchTower tracks: The Eldritch, Energetic Disassembly, Control and Resistance)

Antonio Leon (blends old school death metal feel with new school technicality and ferocity, never descends into br00taldom for the sake of itself, the influence of Lombardo does abound, see The Chasm tracks: Fortress, Procreation of the Inner Temple, Dark Cloud)

Horgh (a signature pummeling mix of black metal and thrash with fierce, fierce precision, see Immortal tracks: One By One, Triumph, Solarfall)

Mike Terrana (a 'power drummer' with a big bag of jazz tricks who has played in every European metal band there is at this point, an unstoppable visage of Mike Portnoy but with personality, see......stuff from Rage, Axel Rudi Pell, or his solo work.)
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Side note: Never really understood what you hear in LABYRINTH, THE CHASM, or RAGE's music. I hear no good guitar riffs there.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Wayne Noon
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Side note: Never really understood what you hear in LABYRINTH, THE CHASM, or RAGE's music. I hear no good guitar riffs there.

I think The Chasm are amazing. Arghoslent are the better band (despite the retarded lyrics) when it comes to epic death metal, but they're definitely great. I wish more death metal bands could be melodic without sounding like some cheesy Gothenburg band.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 8:16 pm

I hate the Gothenburg influence in most DM too but I hear nothing of value in ARGHOSLENT or THE CHASM. Never understood the hype around those bands.

Melodic DM that I like: DEATH, DISINCARNATE, OPPRESSOR, etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Ted Kirkpatrick.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
Ted Kirkpatrick.

Underrated? The guy is celebrated as one of the best all the time.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 9:37 pm

Lars Ulrich is so widely hated nowadays that he's probably considered "underrated" now Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 9:40 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
Ted Kirkpatrick.

Tourniquet is a widely unknown band.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Forgot to mention Clive Burr. His drumming is one of the many things that make early Maiden so amazing.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 10:09 pm

1. Scott Columbus (Manowar)
Most underrated drummers in metal 2884920

2. Ken Mary (Chastain, Fifth Angel, House of Lords)
Most underrated drummers in metal Mary

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 10:29 pm

Joey Baron
David Gray
Steve Asheim
Mick Harris
Nick Byckoff
Jan Axel Blomberg
Bob Bagchus
Alex Hernandez
Mike Smith
Tim Yeung

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 10:45 pm

ZetaReticuli wrote:
Wayne Noon

THANK YOU!!!! Most underrated drummers in metal 25679

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
ZetaReticuli wrote:
Wayne Noon

THANK YOU!!!! Most underrated drummers in metal 25679

Haha, the second I saw that I seriously thought "Now where have I heard that name before?..."
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
Ted Kirkpatrick.

Tourniquet is a widely unknown band.

The subject is about underrated drummers, not bands Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_rolleyes . HM magazine has voted him best or favorite drummer for over a decade now.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 11:08 pm

GrandNational wrote:

The subject is about underrated drummers, not bands Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_rolleyes . HM magazine has voted him best or favorite drummer for over a decade now.

I hate to tell you this, but there are six people in the entire world that read HM.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Most underrated drummers in metal   Most underrated drummers in metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Stian Lindaas Kristoffersen (Pagans Mind) also has drummed for Jorn Lande and Firewind...

This guy blows me away with his style and technique but yet I have never ever heard this mans name mentioned once. Listen to him shine on the track below.