Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Musician in a Horrible Band

Go down 
+20
akeldama
tohostudios
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Joe
MetalRob331
kmorg
XYZ
Metallic Blaze
Schbopo
Lari
James B.
fingers
thejokeriv
Addy
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
manny
Troublezone
Neuropete
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 10:28 am

fingers wrote:
Tommy Lee in Motley Crue like Motley Crue isnt horrible but he's the only talented one in the band.

Dave Groul in Nirvana

Josh Homme in QofTSA

Tommy's a great rock drummer, but have you heard his solo work? Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 78889 He's fine right behind the kit in Motley.

Dave in Nirvana? Well that problem sorta solved itself, didin't it.

Josh in Queens? I dunno. That seems like it's more or less his vision/band anyway. He fills in all the blanks with other musicians that play what he tells 'em. That's like saying Trent Reznor is the most talented member of NIN.

Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 4:01 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
fingers wrote:
Tommy Lee in Motley Crue like Motley Crue isnt horrible but he's the only talented one in the band.

Actually that would be Nikki Sixx IMO

Nikki Sixx? nah he's mediocre when it comes to his bass playing
the 2nd most talented musician would be Mick Marrs
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 4:43 am

Mick Marrs
Nikki Sixx
Tommy Lee
Vince Neil

all very talented and good musicians. Motley Crue RULES!!!
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 pm

fingers wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
fingers wrote:

Actually that would be Nikki Sixx IMO

Nikki Sixx? nah he's mediocre when it comes to his bass playing
the 2nd most talented musician would be Mick Marrs

He's not just mediocre. He's ATROCIOUS.

I mean, OK, I'll give him some credit. He HAS improved significantly....but back in the day, Holy S*** was he bad. Have you ever watched footage of him when he was still in London? I didn't know it was possible to be THAT BAD at bass playing.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 2:59 am

Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 1:17 pm

Nikki's strength has always been writing...he's never been a technical musician.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 1:32 pm

I am a Motley Crue fan but they where never known as great musicians, like S stated Nikki Sixx's strength lies in his songwriting and his SIXX A.M. project was excellent IMO.

The weak link in Motley Crue is Vince Neil, but he is good in his own way.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 5:12 pm

Wow, that's where we totally differ manny.

I can see saying Motley Crue wasn't fabulous musicians.

Though I actually disagree with that as well ...

Tommy Lee is a master drummer. Say what you want.

Mick Marrs actually invented techniques on the guitar that were later used heavily in alternative metal. He was very innovative! Sure, he was not Yngwie! But he kicked arse in a Hollywood / Sunset Strip kinda way.

Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_wink

Sure, Nikki's high point is his songwriting (of which he is a MASTER!) ... but his bass prowess was always spot on!!! It's not so much what he knew ... he wasn't trying to emulate Geddy Lee! He was a punk! And he had stage charisma!

But after saying all that ... and paying respect to these great musicians (of which they all are!) ... now it's time to talk Vince Neil.

He was the STRONG link in Motley Crue!

He had a voice that pierced the sky! That's what mattered in early 80s Hollywood metal. Say what you will.

Look no further than his first solo album (which featured none of the Motley Crue members)! That album is in the top 10 best glam metal albums ever released. But most are unaware of this!

Sure, he's not Leonard Cohen with his vocals.

But he was unique!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 5:52 pm

I listened to Nikki Sixx's show the other day where him and Duff were hanging it was quite good....

I have no real opinion of motley crue though I do like Vince Neil's first solo album and I do dig Dr Feelgood but thats about it outside of a few songs not on that album

Though Dave the best in Nirvana Id have to agree even though I love Nirvana, I really think Nirvana would have gone further had Dave had more in the creative process, then again Dave's the best to come out of Nirvana.
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 6:21 pm

I think Nirvana would have gone further if Kurt had not died. Not because of Dave's involvement. Dave was very involved with Nirvana.

The proof of that can be seen on the first Foo Fighters album.

Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Nikki Sixx is an okay bassist and a good songwriter, but you'd think he'd be more interesting. His radio show is one of the most boring things EVER.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:00 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
I think Nirvana would have gone further if Kurt had not died. Not because of Dave's involvement. Dave was very involved with Nirvana.

Kurt's death is a no brainer, What I am talking about is in the songwriting, Dave had said he didnt contribute as he didnt want to mess with the dynamic. The only creds he got was for the drum intro on Scentless Apprentice and for writing the B-side to Heart Shaped Box which was a song called Marigold. That was my first exposure to Dave's chops and skills heh. Kurt wrote all the lyrics and a majority of the music itself. Dave is Talented Most definitly, and yes the proof is in the first Foos album which IMO is the best album he's done. Had Kurt and Dave Collaborated and Kurt lived Nirvana would have been a juggernaut.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Nikki Sixx is an okay bassist and a good songwriter, but you'd think he'd be more interesting. His radio show is one of the most boring things EVER.

I liked the interview with Duff its hard for me to get into talk radio it could have been cuz it was Duff
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:45 am

Addy wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Kurt's death is a no brainer, What I am talking about is in the songwriting, Dave had said he didnt contribute as he didnt want to mess with the dynamic. The only creds he got was for the drum intro on Scentless Apprentice and for writing the B-side to Heart Shaped Box which was a song called Marigold. That was my first exposure to Dave's chops and skills heh. Kurt wrote all the lyrics and a majority of the music itself. Dave is Talented Most definitly, and yes the proof is in the first Foos album which IMO is the best album he's done. Had Kurt and Dave Collaborated and Kurt lived Nirvana would have been a juggernaut.

I can agree with that!

Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 29150
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:24 am

When Kurt killed himself there was talk of a collaboration with him (Kurt) and Michael Stipe of REM they were friends and that would have been quite cool to hear I think
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:31 am

Addy wrote:
When Kurt killed himself there was talk of a collaboration with him (Kurt) and Michael Stipe of REM they were friends and that would have been quite cool to hear I think

Oh man, no offense but that would have been one whinyass collaboration.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 3:29 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Addy wrote:

Whinyass how, exactly? You mean because it would most definitely not produce songs about chicks and partying? Both are fine musicians in their own way, and I think it would have been very interesting music.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:21 pm

I wish that came to fruitition
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:51 pm

Neuropete wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Addy wrote:

Whinyass how, exactly? You mean because it would most definitely not produce songs about chicks and partying? Both are fine musicians in their own way, and I think it would have been very interesting music.

Lyrically that collaboration would have produced the most emo lyrics ever conceived. Between Stipe's whiny "losing my religion" type lyrics and Kurt's "oh my angst!" lyrics, I think that collaboration would have set the bar for "emo", maybe not musically but surely lyrically.

I'll take songs about chicks and partying over "poor, poor pitiful me" lyrics anyday.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:38 pm

Michael Stipe and Kurt Cobain are both of historic value.

That combo would have been dynamite.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Lyrically that collaboration would have produced the most emo lyrics ever conceived. Between Stipe's whiny "losing my religion" type lyrics and Kurt's "oh my angst!" lyrics, I think that collaboration would have set the bar for "emo", maybe not musically but surely lyrically.

I'll take songs about chicks and partying over "poor, poor pitiful me" lyrics anyday.

You got it all wrong, the combination of Kurt's "I hate myself" lyrics with Stipe's "I hate everybody else" lyrics would cancel each other out, and they'd become all happy and shiny.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Michael Stipe and Kurt Cobain are both of historic value.

That combo would have been dynamite.

Yeah, if you want to go to a "crying cafe".

Geez, those two whiners together would have made emo bands sound cheerful.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:44 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:
Marty Friedman in Megadeth

Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Shut_up

100% agreed! Even though you my bro MB.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:48 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Mick Marrs
Nikki Sixx
Tommy Lee
Vince Neil

all very talented and good musicians. Motley Crue RULES!!!

You forgot John Corabi, he slays Vince!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 2:54 pm

Paul McCartney, he was in one of the worst bands of all-time, The Beatles. But, Wings is very good schtuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Musician in a Horrible Band   Best Musician in a Horrible Band - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Musician in a Horrible Band
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next