Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Small Faces

Go down 
+3
tohostudios
Metallic Blaze
Schbopo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:02 pm

Before the Rod Stewart/Ron Wood led Faces, there was an even more awesome band...the Small Faces, one of the greatest groups of the 60's! Their sound drew on elements of psychedelia, blues, r&b, and early hard-rock, much like their post-Small counterparts, but in these early years, it was the soulful wail and aggressive guitar playing of Steve Marriott (my all-time favorite vocalist) that defined their sound. Still lacking some of their catalog, but already, they're one of my personal favorites, and it's clear that they had quite a large impact on music during the short time they were together. They'll never be mentioned in the same breath as contemporaries The Who or The Rolling Stones, but if you ask me they were every bit as good as those bands.

The Small Faces Draft_lens1943764module9101530photo_120824939911914_small_faces_orig

Note to Rod Stewart: You've got a cool voice, dude, but Marriott was the best singer the Faces ever had, small or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Not familiar with this band, other than hearing of them.

Are they anything like The Who? I'm a fan of those guys.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:53 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Before the Rod Stewart/Ron Wood led Faces, there was an even more awesome band...the Small Faces, one of the greatest groups of the 60's! Their sound drew on elements of psychedelia, blues, r&b, and early hard-rock, much like their post-Small counterparts, but in these early years, it was the soulful wail and aggressive guitar playing of Steve Marriott (my all-time favorite vocalist) that defined their sound. Still lacking some of their catalog, but already, they're one of my personal favorites, and it's clear that they had quite a large impact on music during the short time they were together. They'll never be mentioned in the same breath as contemporaries The Who or The Rolling Stones, but if you ask me they were every bit as good as those bands.

The Small Faces Draft_lens1943764module9101530photo_120824939911914_small_faces_orig

Note to Rod Stewart: You've got a cool voice, dude, but Marriott was the best singer the Faces ever had, small or otherwise.

I like 'em. I only have a comp of their stuff but for my money they pioneered the glam/sleaze style that bands like The Quireboys and Dogs D'Amour trade in.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:15 pm

Can't go wrong with the Small Faces or the Faces IMO. Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake is a very good concept album and their 2 S/T are good too. Ronnie Lane lived about an hour away from where I live and that's where he died.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:44 pm

I hate to admit this but I am a fan of both the Faces and Humble Pie, but I am unfamiliar with the Small Faces outside a cover tune that the original version of Quiet Riot did.

For years I have read about them and was aware of the personal that made up the band but never took the time to look into them, I will now.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 pm

manny wrote:
I hate to admit this but I am a fan of both the Faces and Humble Pie, but I am unfamiliar with the Small Faces outside a cover tune that the original version of Quiet Riot did.

For years I have read about them and was aware of the personal that made up the band but never took the time to look into them, I will now.

If you like the whiskey-throated barroom style of bands like The Quireboys, I think you'll like Small Faces.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:52 pm

I love that pub barroom sound of the Quireboys so it sounds like something I would enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 8:02 pm

So is The Faces at all related to The Small Faces?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
So is The Faces at all related to The Small Faces?

Yep apparently when Steve Marriott left to form Humble Pie with Peter Frampton they recruited Rod Stewart and continued forward as the Faces.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Ive heard of them but not heard them I thought Marc Bolan was involved in the band too but I must be mistaken with something else
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Addy wrote:
Ive heard of them but not heard them I thought Marc Bolan was involved in the band too but I must be mistaken with something else

I think you maybe thinking of John's Children, Marc Bolan's prior T.Rex band.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:09 pm

I dont think so, I remember on the David Bowie VH1 Storytellers he was talkin about Marc Bolan and ideas for different bands and what not and I could have sworn he said Small Faces.... -shrugs-
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:11 pm

I dunno maybe it was my imagination.......
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Quote :
Before the Rod Stewart/Ron Wood led Faces, there was an even more awesome band...the Small Faces

I'd argue against that statement, but that's just me. The Small Faces Icon_razz

Awhlie back, I had a comp of their stuff on tape when I heard some of their original material being covered by some 80's bands (Great White, Blue Murder). I found their stuff to be a little too trippy and, I dunno, mod-like? (if that makes sense). They had some cool stuff going on, but it was a work in progress compared to the stuff that would come from The Faces.

It might sit differently with me now that I'm older and have a better appreciation for music, but I'll stick with the barroom swagger of The Faces for now.

The Small Faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Small Faces   The Small Faces Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Small Faces
Page 1 of 1