Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

any Tom Petty fans in the house?

Go down 
+18
rattpoison
Wargod
Troublezone
Jesusandmetal23
MetalRob331
jstate
manny
Schbopo
EvyMetal
akeldama
Ford.Prefect
Neuropete
stepcousin
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
Addy
Orion Crystal Ice
Metallic Blaze
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 pm

I seem to like about every other song on his albums. So he's hit and miss with me. I do really like to break out the vinyl Pack Up The Plantation from time to time. Love the songs American Girl, Rebels, You Got Lucky (great video too), Jammin Me, Free Fallin, and Learning To Fly. Wouldn't have any idea about any of his recent output.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 6:17 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
He is another one of those artists that everyone seems to like ..but me.

I do have alot of respect for the guy despite not liking his music, he has managed to hold on to his success for over 30 years.

Yea, I've always enjoyed his "stick-it-to-the-record-company" attitude. He's managed to carve out a nice little living for himself, doing things his way. I admire that.

Yeah, I admire that too.

It's part of his charm I think.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 7:34 pm

manny wrote:
He is another one of those artists that everyone seems to like ..but me.

I do have alot of respect for the guy despite not liking his music, he has managed to hold on to his success for over 30 years.

Agree 100% here. Something turns me off with his music and his voice. I really like Running Down a Dream but other then that song its just too simple for my ears.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 8:17 pm

I gotta give Tom Petty credit, the solo on "Mary Jane's Last Dance" is possibly the best one-string solo of all time.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 8:20 pm

I was never able to get into him.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 12:07 pm

I like Tom Petty's early 80's stuff. He is a great songwriter.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 3:35 pm

Tom Petty is a legend and great songwriter. I own everything on cd and everything on vinyl and I have 2 bootlegs on vinyl. Also 3 DVDs as well.

One of my favorite non metal bands. And tha band has not had many band member changes in over 30+ years.

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 5:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_VL8ZU5fSI

Tom Petty with Axl Rose doing Free Fallin
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 8:43 pm

Really like the first few Heartbreakers records, but prefer Petty's contemporaries and label mates the Dwight Twilley Band who sang backing vocals on a few of those early Tom Petty records. Their first two records are classics imo.

Haven't explored much of Petty's career outside the early stuff but i guess in time, really thought it was cool he used the "Rebel Without A Clue" line in his song Great White Open. That line taken from The Replacements song "I'll Be You" who also were the opening band on Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 1989 tour.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Only got Full Moon Fever, but I love it -so I'm going to have to buy some more of his stuff. One of my favourite descriptions of his voice is "an in tune Bob Dylan" any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 201269 . Great stuff!
Back to top Go down
jerseyultifan+
Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 7:31 am

you know you have hit the midlife crisis when your 22 yr old dau sees the video "into the great wide open"(for the first time..this yr) and says.."look mom...its captain jack sparrow"! wow! she slaps her forehead and then smacks the kid! lol! just kidding!
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:25 am

I thought this was interesting. On Tom Petty's new tour, if you purchase your ticket on-line, you can get the new album as a free download...

Quote :
Every ticket purchased on line will include an MP3 download of every track on the Heartbreakers’ electrifying new album, “Mojo.” It will work like this; once fans purchase tickets online they will receive an email with codes entitling them to download two tracks from Mojo (“First Flash Of Freedom” and “Good Enough.”) Then, on the release date of the album, currently slated for this spring, ticket buyers will be sent a download of the entire album. Also included with every online ticket purchase, to be delivered at the end of the 2010 tour, will be a selection of live tracks recorded during the tour.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 11:42 am

Awesome a new Petty cd!

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 1:35 pm

I like his stuff with the Heartbreakers, solo and as part of the Wilburys.

Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 pm

I was readin that today AWESOME about Mr Petty doing another album wonder if hes goin through Nashville would love to see him live
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 3:53 pm

I've always liked Mike Campbell's guitar style, not just on the Petty stuff either. His restraint and they way he knows just what and when to play is great, but after I read that Petty told him to let loose on the upcoming album Mojo it makes me all the more anxious for it to come out. I really like the early stuff up to Long After Dark especially and his solo album Wildflowers is great, I also like SHe's The One & The Last DJ. His stuff with the Traveling Wilburys and Mudcrutch is good too.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 7:01 pm

The traveling Wilbury's first cd is a classic imho. Volume 3 is not as good as they really missed Orbison.

Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:25 am

I dont think I have She's The One I do have the Last DJ which is great IMO

I want to get that Playback Box set
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Mary Jane's Last Dance is an awesome song, everytime I hear it on the radio, it gets cranked, and the people in my town must think that is one disturbed man........I can hear them saying they hope I don't come around here no more.......
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 4:11 pm

That is a good song, nice intro guitar riff in the Documentry Runnin Down a Dream Petty was against putting that song on the GH because it wasnt a GH but later said that it sold xx million amout of copies so what do I know lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: any Tom Petty fans in the house?   any Tom Petty fans in the house? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

any Tom Petty fans in the house?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2