Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?

Go down 
+11
SideShowDisaSter
kmorg
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
krokus
Troublezone
rattpoison
ultmetal
mc666
Thrasher73
Olafsto
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Rock Band
W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Vote_lcap21%W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Vote_rcap
 21% [ 5 ]
Metal Band
W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Vote_lcap79%W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Vote_rcap
 79% [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 24

AuthorMessage

W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Empty
PostSubject: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 2:30 am

So here's the deal: I've not been a W.A.S.P. fan for long. I've heard plenty of songs over the years, as they're one of best friend's favorite bands. Now, I've never viewed them as a metal band. They've always sounded like a rock band to me. Now that I've gotten their albums, I still think they're a rock band. They may have some metal moments, but I hear a rock band.

Over at the lala forum, some people are telling me they're a metal band. So I'm curious to know what everyone here thinks. I really don't think they're a metal band. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 4:10 am

W.A.S.P. have always been a metal band for me. In fact one of the greatest Metal bands ever!!
Having said that, it is not very important to me what genre people put various bands in. As long as I like the music, it can be labeled Metal, rock, folk, power, thrash, I don`t care that much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 7:57 am

I've always considered them metal
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 8:15 am

i've always considered them a traditional metal band. however, i can see how others lump them in with certain hard rock bands like Motley Crue, etc.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 8:36 am

Metal.

Crue started off as a metal band too.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 8:54 am

Definately metal, but i guess metal is a genre of rock so i guess their rock to0 just like slayer could be called rock.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 9:31 am

To me they are sort of shock rock. Buzz saw blade jock strap. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 9:33 am

HEAVY METAL and in their early days i would say SHOCK METAL (like IMPALER, HALLOWEEN, old LIZZY BORDEN etc...).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 9:44 am

Metal.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 10:07 am

hard rock
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 11:54 am

METAL!

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 2:31 pm

I think it's all perspective based on age, maybe? I don't find their early stuff to be metal, but I also didn't start getting into music until the late 80s; heavily in the 90s. At that point I don't think W.A.S.P. was very unique in terms of their sound/look. Maybe when they debuted the only proper term for them was metal?

Maybe if I'd began listening to music in the early 80s my perspective would be different?

Last edited by on Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 2:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I think it's all perspective based on age, maybe? I don't find their early stuff to be metal, but I also didn't start heavily getting into music until the late 80s. At that point I don't think W.A.S.P. was very unique in terms of their sound/look. Maybe when they debuted the only proper term for them was metal?

Maybe if I'd began listening to music in the early 80s my perspective would be different?

That's true. I began listening to hard rock and metal in the 1970's. Then we called bands like Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Judas Priest, UFO, etc. heavy metal. Hard rock and metal were one in the same. However, now people seem intent on making a distinction.

I even see people arguing these days that Judas Priest and Saxon are not heavy metal. As a matter of fact, there is one such debate in my Hall of Shame. The fact is, these band's help define metal. Indeed, W.A.S.P. were one of the defining band's of the movement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 2:45 pm

Yeah, that must be it, because I also feel that most of Judas Priest's output was rock, not metal. I edited my post above, to clarify that I just go into music in the late 80s, it wasn't until about the mid-90s (1993 or so) that I got heavily into music.

I can definitely see W.A.S.P. being considered a very heavy band in the early 80s, whereas when I got into music a really heavy band was Morbid Angel, you know?
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 2:53 pm

I think it just depend on everybodys ears. I also started to listen to wasp in the very late 80s but still thought they were metal. Never thought about them like a rock band. For me, a rock band would be DIRE STRAITS or ROLLING STONES. Thats why i would even say that i dont like ROCK. I love HEAVY ROCK, HARD ROCK and stuff like that but ROCK is ELVIS PRESLY. Somebody agree??
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 2:57 pm

I've always considered them a metal band.

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 3:02 pm

krokus wrote:
I think it just depend on everybodys ears. I also started to listen to wasp in the very late 80s but still thought they were metal. Never thought about them like a rock band. For me, a rock band would be DIRE STRAITS or ROLLING STONES. Thats why i would even say that i dont like ROCK. I love HEAVY ROCK, HARD ROCK and stuff like that but ROCK is ELVIS PRESLY. Somebody agree??
Well, I'm not trying to break the genre down like that. Haha.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 3:11 pm

krokus wrote:

I agree. Actually, I had a teen metal fan email me not long ago and chew me out for having bands like Aerosmith and Ted Nugent listed as heavy metal on my site. He asked, "so if Aerosmith were heavy metal, who were the rock bands?" I replied with a mile long list of bands like The Eagles, Rolling Stones, ELO, Kansas, Tom Petty, James Gang, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 10cc, Doobie Brothers, Gentle Giant, Fleetwood Mac, The Beatles, The Doors, Supertramp, etc. He actually emailed me back and conceded, agreeing that in the 70's Aerosmith were a heavy metal band.

Same would be true of W.A.S.P. There were plenty of 'rock bands' in the early 80's. Anyone remember The Hooters? LOL! W.A.S.P. were a metal band.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 3:15 pm

ultmetal wrote:
krokus wrote:

I agree. Actually, I had a teen metal fan email me not long ago and chew me out for having bands like Aerosmith and Ted Nugent listed as heavy metal on my site. He asked, "so if Aerosmith were heavy metal, who were the rock bands?" I replied with a mile long list of bands like The Eagles, Rolling Stones, ELO, Kansas, Tom Petty, James Gang, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 10cc, Doobie Brothers, Gentle Giant, Fleetwood Mac, The Beatles, The Doors, Supertramp, etc. He actually emailed me back and conceded, agreeing that in the 70's Aerosmith were a heavy metal band.

Same would be true of W.A.S.P. There were plenty of 'rock bands' in the early 80's. Anyone remember The Hooters? LOL! W.A.S.P. were a metal band.

I am happy you agree and all those bands you named in your list are ROCK to me too only maybe i would call KANSAS a hard rock band and LYNYRD SKYNYRD a Southern rock band but i get your point very well ULTMETAL.
HAIL TO YOU BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤘
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 5:30 pm

I think of them as a rock band with a metal image, so either answer can be right. But that's according to current definitions. Like Ult, I know that those definitions change over time, as I was calling my favorite music "metal" long before metal ever existed, according to some people's arguments.
An example of definitions changing would be that I remember when many people called Yngwie Malmsteen "gothic metal", and it made sense at the time because of all the kings and castles subject matter. However after the advent of so many goth/ metal crossovers like Paradise Lost, it doesn't really work to apply the gothic label to mid 80's dark power metal anymore. (And according to some, the definition of "power metal has changed as well).
I don't really care about the issue actually, except that I apply these labels when organizing my library; so I can find what I'm looking for when in a certain mood. I find that generally the labels move towards the heavier end of the spectrum over time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 6:51 pm

Yet the definition of classic rock never changes. I mean, shouldn't Aerosmith and Def Leppard and even Winger be classic rock by now? Haha.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 9:27 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Yet the definition of classic rock never changes. I
mean, shouldn't Aerosmith and Def Leppard and even Winger be classic
rock by now? Haha.

Actually, the local 'classic rock' station plays Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard and Tesla. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 9:52 pm

I've been a huge W.A.S.P. fan since their debut album and I've always considered'em metal. However, I can understand the confusion, as W.A.S.P. have had some bouts with an identity crisis over the years.
I'd say their first couple of records were more "hard rock" or "hair metal" oriented (though there is really some ferocious stuff on the S/T debut, i.e. "Tormentor," "The Torture Never Stops," etc.) "The Last Command" and especially "Inside The Electric Circus" were pretty much hair metal thru and thru. I remember back in the 80s they really didn't fit much of anywhere. The hair metallers considered 'em "too heavy" and the headbangers thought they were poofy, cuz they kinda straddled the fence between "hard rock" and "metal."

IMHO the HEADLESS CHILDREN (still their best album and in my top 5 of all time) finally kicked'em off the fence onto the METAL side. That album still rules.

Then of course, came THE CRIMSON IDOL where Blackie decided he was Pete Townshend and he decided to write his own "Tommy," this phase went on for another record ("Still Not Black Enough") before he jumped the shark altogether with the god-awful K.F.D. (their worst disc and in my all time BOTTOM five, haha). After that train wreck he went back to basics for a few more records, cannibalizing the S/T debut sound on HELLDORADO (decent record but nothing mind blowing) and then going back to the HEADLESS CHILDREN era with UNHOLY TERROR and DYING FOR THE WORLD.

Then we got hit with the NEON GOD saga (snore!) and I went "Ah sh*t, Blackie's got the Townshend virus again," haha. The new disc, DOMINATOR, thankfully seems a bit more back to basics, but I haven't had it long enough to figure out where it ranks with the rest of the catalog.

So I guess what I'm sayin' in my long winded way is that Blackie's been all over the map in the last twenty-odd years, but I always thought of W.A.S.P. as "Metal" and probably always will, even with Blackie's occasional detours into weird pastures.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 11:20 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Metal.

Crue started off as a metal band too.
very true.. the first 2 Crue albums were definitely metal.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 7:52 am

I can't see them being classified as anything else than a metal band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band?   W.A.S.P.: Rock Or Metal Band? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next