Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Heavy Metal discussion continued...

Go down 
+20
rattpoison
GrandNational
Orion Crystal Ice
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
jstate
Getizzyback
Metallic Blaze
mc666
Thrasher73
T-Roy
James B.
scottmitchell74
krokus
JBall_Z
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
For me there is 2 forms of music:

"Listenable"

and

"Unlistenable"

That's kinda how I am too.

It just so happens that I like metal the best.

but I like a lot of other stuff too. I don't give a rat's ass if someone calls what I listen to emo. If I like it - that's all that matters to me. I really don't give a dam what anyone thinks.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:25 pm

I put metal under the general umbrella of "rock n' roll". Different branches from the same rock tree seems about right to me. I think the fact that I'm a big fan of the different "genres" makes it a fairly easy and simple classification.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:26 pm

jstate wrote:
I put metal under the general umbrella of "rock n' roll". Different branches from the same rock tree seems about right to me. I think the fact that I'm a big fan of the different "genres" makes it a fairly easy and simple classification.

Same here.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
jstate wrote:

Same here.
YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:28 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:
jstate wrote:

Same here.
YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!

The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 706740 The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Lol
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:46 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Getizzyback wrote:
For me there is 2 forms of music:

"Listenable"

and

"Unlistenable"

That's kinda how I am too.

It just so happens that I like metal the best.

but I like a lot of other stuff too. I don't give a rat's ass if someone calls what I listen to emo. If I like it - that's all that matters to me. I really don't give a dam what anyone thinks.

My categories are more specific:

"Stuff I like"

and

"Stuff I don't like"

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 7:24 pm

I do believe that what we consider some of the most metallic music now (various types Symphonic metal) has often gotten quite a distance from it's rock roots. I think old symphonic prog ( bands like Zarathustra, Alphataurus, My Solid Ground, and Balleto Il Bronzo) may be as much of an influence on bands like Rhapsody or early Samael than rock bands were, if not more so.
Also I don't think that the evolution of metal is always as linear as we like to think it is, because a lot of influential musicians are also record collectors and sometimes incorporate long lost influences off the dusty shelves of time into their music. They aren't always building just on recent pop culture in a linear way. I think it's pretty well documented that people like Phil Anselmo, Lars Ulrich, Dave Grohl and others have borrowed influences from point A that had been lost at point B, and brought them back in at point C. So music is influenced by much more than recent popular performers and trends. I don't know for sure where people like Peter Tatgren or Samael or others got their symphonic influences from, but I do know that a lot of old symphonic prog does at least sound like it must have influenced recent symphonic metal in some way or another, it's hard to believe it's just coincidence. If anybody has tracked this I'd be interested in the story.
The point I'm trying to make here is that Metal as we know it in 2010 isn't always necessarily a form of Hard Rock; as Classical and Progressive influnces may even be more prominent than rock influences in many cases.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 7:39 pm

Rhapsody are Goblin fans, and everyone knows Mikael Akerfeldt is all about Camel and other assorted classic prog. I'm sure there's more, though I'm not sure how much it correlates in the same way. I know I don't want to oversimplify things..we like music, there are reasons we like it, giving them names or knowing more intrinsic facts about what makes it what it is, is only beneficial to the listener.

That's my contribution to this thread.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Also it's well known that people like Varg Vikerness chose to avoid rock influences in his music as much as possible (maybe for racist or nationalistic reasons of "purity"); and like it or not Burzum has been a huge influence on metal. This begs the question, is a band like Dimmu Borgir any kind of "hard rock" at all? I'm not sure, you tell me.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
When I talk about people, I don't refer to them as "mammals". I talk about the specific type they are ... "people".

I'm, speechless.

Muddy Waters has a great song that goes something like this..."the Blues had a baby and they named it rock n' roll"....and so RNR had a baby and they named it Heavy Metal. Get off of your high chair, because it's all rock 'n roll to me to.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:36 pm

If your talking Black Metal, the band that has had arguably the greatest impact on them all Bathory sounds like great big loud dirty rock n' roll to me in the tradition Motorhead, Venom, Black Sabbath etc.

These bands who move to more ambient, atmospheric, classical etc sounds and influences become less Heavy Metal and therefore less Rock N' Roll, just look at a band like Ulver or as you pointed out Sahb Burzum!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Its Only Rock and Roll (But I Like It)

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 11:19 pm

rattpoison wrote:

These bands who move to more ambient, atmospheric, classical etc sounds and influences become less Heavy Metal

Good to see you RP. The point about the heavier Black Metal though that is influenced by Wagner, Bach etc. is that a lot of people would consider it Metal at this time, which is what we are talking about. I'm just playing devil's advocate here (pun intended). The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_smile

As to my other point (that the evolution of metal isn't always a linear one that takes place in the floodlights of pop culture); I remember something that you yourself may have said, that Buffalo wasn't well known enough in the USA to be an actual direct influence on anybody here until people like Chris Cornell dug their records up years later and made their influence more profound. Sorry if I'm misqouting you, but I seem to remember something like that. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Years ago, I watched an interview with Bob Segar and he said that heavy metal was just an extreme form of rock and roll, it follows the same musical patterns. Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 11:48 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:

As to my other point (that the evolution of metal isn't always a linear one that takes place in the floodlights of pop culture); I remember something that you yourself may have said, that Buffalo wasn't well known enough in the USA to be an actual direct influence on anybody here until people like Chris Cornell dug their records up years later and made their influence more profound. Sorry if I'm misqouting you, but I seem to remember something like that. Thoughts?

No doubt it doesn't follow some straight and narrow line like alot of people think, Black Sabbath being the start and all manner of Metal being an evolution of that.......definately not.

Buffalo is a good example of this, a band who did not listen to Black Sabbath but arrived at a similar sound at roughly the same time as Black Sabbath from the other side of the world, who were basically obscure and outside the known canon of Heavy Metal until Grunge and Stoner Rock bands of the late 80's/early 90's started heralding them as an influence. They're are plenty of well known bands who come up with some heavy metal sound who are not derived from this Black Sabbath line of Metal, Motorhead or AC/DC anyone.........or maybe they're just rock n' roll The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:07 am

It's all rock n roll to me. Some I like, some not so much.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:45 am

I have an I-pod that's dedicated to what I consider the best of Hard Rock from 1990 or so until now. I know several Metal elitists that would deny that anything I've got on there is actual Metal, even though most of the music on the pod is actually heavier or faster than 70's Heavy Metal was. But I bet that if I put my headphones on random people on the street, 9 out of 10 would describe most of it as Heavy Metal.

Here are some of the albums that I've had arguments with people about, as to whether they are actually Metal or not.

Corrosion of Conformity- Deliverance
Danzig- III How The Gods Kill
Fireball Ministry- Their Rock is not Our Rock
Kyuss- Welcome To Sky Valley
Overkill- I Hear Black
Trouble- Manic Frustration
Witch- s/t

Believe it or not, I understand their point of view, even if I don't agree with it really.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 3:11 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I have an I-pod that's dedicated to what I consider the best of Hard Rock from 1990 or so until now. I know several Metal elitists that would deny that anything I've got on there is actual Metal, even though most of the music on the pod is actually heavier or faster than 70's Heavy Metal was. But I bet that if I put my headphones on random people on the street, 9 out of 10 would describe most of it as Heavy Metal.

Here are some of the albums that I've had arguments with people about, as to whether they are actually Metal or not.

Overkill- I Hear Black
Witch- s/t

Believe it or not, I understand their point of view, even if I don't agree with it really.
everything you listed i still consider to be metal. f*ck the elitists.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 4:39 am

mc666 wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:

Overkill- I Hear Black
Witch- s/t

I agree. It's all metal.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:01 am

Lemmy on the subject.

When asked if he has a problem with Motörhead being called a metal
band, he replied: "I do, because I come from way before Metal. I’m
playing Rock n’ Roll and I think Rock n’ Roll should be sacred – it is
to me. I don’t see why it should not be for everybody else."

Of the genre debate itself Lemmy was more forthright when Joel McIver spoke to him for an interview published in the January 2000 edition of Record Collector.
He asked him if he thought some people get confused between hard rock
and soft metal and all the other categories. Lemmy replied "Cunt metal?
Spunk metal? Left-handed metal? Right-handed metal? Upwardly-mobile
metal? This term "heavy metal" is only rock'n'roll anyway, because
metal bands are the logical successors to Eddie Cochran and Buddy Holly"
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:05 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Lemmy on the subject.

When asked if he has a problem with Motörhead being called a metal
band, he replied: "I do, because I come from way before Metal. I’m
playing Rock n’ Roll and I think Rock n’ Roll should be sacred – it is
to me. I don’t see why it should not be for everybody else."

Of the genre debate itself Lemmy was more forthright when Joel McIver spoke to him for an interview published in the January 2000 edition of Record Collector.
He asked him if he thought some people get confused between hard rock
and soft metal and all the other categories. Lemmy replied "Cunt metal?
metal bands are the logical successors to Eddie Cochran and Buddy Holly"

The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Lol

That's funny how Lemmy went off on those genres.

I agree with him though. It's all rock and roll!!! *BUT I LIKE IT*
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 am

SAHB Healer wrote:

Overkill- I Hear Black
Witch- s/t

I think you should stop hanging out with these people if they don't consider these bands/albums Metal. Overkill not metal? WTF?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 7:17 am

Quote :

The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 395375 Agreed!

Or as my Dad still calls all of it...Acid Rock. And it's all Saytonic.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 8:40 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Or as my Dad still calls all of it...Acid Rock. And it's all Saytonic.
The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 604261
Our poor parents dude!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 8:43 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Lemmy replied "Cunt metal?
metal bands are the logical successors toEddie Cochran and Buddy Holly."

Brilliant! Lemmy rules! headbanger

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Heavy Metal discussion continued...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next