Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Heavy Metal discussion continued...

Go down 
+20
rattpoison
GrandNational
Orion Crystal Ice
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
jstate
Getizzyback
Metallic Blaze
mc666
Thrasher73
T-Roy
James B.
scottmitchell74
krokus
JBall_Z
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Empty
PostSubject: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:39 pm

ToB brought up a point in the other thread that got me to thinking. I've never heard anyone deny that heavy metal is a form of rock and roll. I've actually used the expression, "it's all just rock and roll" many times over the years. I agree that not all rock is heavy metal, but am I wrong in saying that heavy metal is just a form of rock and roll?

Obviously it doesn't really matter and it just becomes a "genre nazi" issue, but I'm still interested in hearing people's opinions on the subject.

Opinions? What say ye?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:46 pm

If it weren't for rock n roll, there wouldn't be heavy metal. Seems like a no brainer to me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Heavy metal is def. rock n roll in my brain. Dee Snider taught me that. Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Heavy Metal or hard rock is rock n roll.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:48 pm

Just the term "rock n' roll" covers a pretty wide spectrum of music, but I'd agree that heavy metal is an off-shoot of it.

If rock n' roll is the family tree, heavy metal would certainly be a branch. Of course, some will argue that rock n' roll is itself a branch off of the blues tree. So there ya go.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:55 pm

I didn't deny it. I was trying to be more specific.

When I talk about people, I don't refer to them as "mammals". I talk about the specific type they are ... "people".
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Heavy metal is rock ('n' roll).

Is Judas Priest heavy metal? I think we can all agree that they most certainly are heavy metal and they were livin' after midnight and rockin' till the dawn. They rocked hard and rode free. They rocked forever and they rocked you all around the world.

Is KISS heavy metal? They certainly inspired a lot of heavy metal bands and they rocked and rolled all nite and partied everyday.

Black Sabbath called the Rock n' Roll Doctor.

AC/DC had a rock n roll dream.

The defense rest. The Heavy Metal discussion continued... 798255
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:28 pm

Yeah, its all ROCK´N´ROLL but i like to call HEAVY METAL by its name, HEAVY F-UCKING METAL, no ROCK´N´ROLL. Rock´n´roll is ELVIS PRESLEY, and all those 50s bands and singers. Still, HEAVY METAL comes from ROCK´N´ROLL. I know in the USA they like to call everything ROCK´N´ROLL but i like to call the music i listen to METAL.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:32 pm

The Heavy Metal discussion continued... 395375 Krokus! The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:33 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I didn't deny it. I was trying to be more specific.

When I talk about people, I don't refer to them as "mammals". I talk about the specific type they are ... "people".

personaly, I "can't" refer to people as "mammals" The Heavy Metal discussion continued... 685534

We have the abilty to choose a course of action that isn't motivated by a need to survive or dictated by mere instinct. When was the last time you saw a bear or a dolphin laugh at someone for debating as to whether or not "heavy metal" is "rock n roll" and predict that someone would leave an out in every point they make to exclaim..."that isn't what I meant"

In the end we have heavy metal=rock n roll

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:34 pm

Heavy metal is a type of rock-n-roll. Or more specifically, heavy metal is a type of hard rock which is a type of rock-n-roll.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:38 pm

James B. wrote:

We have the abilty to choose a course of action that isn't motivated by a need to survive or dictated by mere instinct.

As Dan Aykroyd (as Joe Friday) said in "Dragnet," "there are two things that separate us from the animals. One, we use cutlery. Two, we're able to control our sexual urges when we need to. Now, you might be an exception to that second one, Mister, but don't drag me down into your private Hell."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:38 pm

It's the octomaroon of the rock n roll world!!! The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_eek The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Affraid The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Lol
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:41 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Heavy metal is a type of rock-n-roll. Or more specifically, heavy metal is a type of hard rock which is a type of rock-n-roll.

To be more simplistic "heavy metal" is music

or we can be more specific and say that it is "music" usually made up in smaller chord progressions, doesn't encompass the full use of various scales found in other types of music, often focuses apon faster tempos and exhibits a varied style in vocal approach.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:44 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
The Heavy Metal discussion continued... 395375 Krokus! The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_cheers

Hail to you bro The Heavy Metal discussion continued... 11840 The Heavy Metal discussion continued... 11840 The Heavy Metal discussion continued... 11840
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 pm

James B. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

To be more simplistic "heavy metal" is music

HEAVY METAL IS THE BEST MUSIC The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Lol
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:00 pm

I say no. Heavy Metals roots are in Rock 'n Roll, but we call it heavy metal because it's,
krokus wrote:
HEAVY F-UCKING METAL
NOT ROCK 'N ROLL!!

Hence, Heavy Metal is NOT rock 'n roll!

To say otherwise is like saying the pirate code is more "guidelines"
The Heavy Metal discussion continued... A5cdd810

Last edited by T-Roy on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:05 pm

In the End its all just rock n roll to me.Of course I never refer to metal as rock n roll,I call it metal.Sounds more METAL to me. The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:20 pm

I don't get specific and refer to "heavy metal" while conversing as "rock and roll". When actually it is. To explain my position, 100 years ago my grandfather was born. Taken from part of one thing and combined with part of another. The process continued two more times and I was the product of that. Today I am totaly different in various ways than my grandfather, though my orgins derive from him. After all this time am I still not part of my grandfather?

If somebody thinks that "metal" isn't "rock n roll"... well that is one's perogotive. It just comes down tp perspective. I explained mine. Still, just an opinion that isn't more valid than one that differs.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:22 pm

James B. wrote:
I don't get specific and refer to "heavy metal" while conversing as "rock and roll". When actually it is. To explain my position, 100 years ago my grandfather was born. Taken from part of one thing and combined with part of another. The process continued two more times and I was the product of that. Today I am totaly different in various ways than my grandfather, though my orgins derive from him. After all this time am I still not part of my grandfather?

If somebody thinks that "metal" isn't "rock n roll"... well that is one's perogotive. It just comes down tp perspective. I explained mine. Still, just an opinion that isn't more valid than one that differs.

Nicely put.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:34 pm

James B. wrote:
Still, just an opinion....
and you think you're allowed that?! lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:39 pm

metal is definitely a child of rock n roll. that's indisputable. so saying that it's still a form of rock n roll makes sense. to me anyway.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Makes sense to me. It's all rock and roll!

The Heavy Metal discussion continued... 11840
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:42 pm

T-Roy wrote:
James B. wrote:
Still, just an opinion....
and you think you're allowed that?! The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Lol

We do have a reccommended daily allowance by some government agency, don't we?

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 5:58 pm

For me there are 2 forms of music:

"Listenable"

and

"Unlistenable"

Last edited by Getizzyback on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Heavy Metal discussion continued...   The Heavy Metal discussion continued... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Heavy Metal discussion continued...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next