Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?

Go down 
+20
rattpoison
stevegarveyfan
Schbopo
Stender
Shiney
tohostudios
troublemagnet
T-Roy
GrandNational
MetalRob331
Temple of Blood
Eyesore
Troublezone
ultmetal
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
manny
Metallic Blaze
mez
fingers
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Ska punk for the Bosstones is the standard, I believe. Haven't heard much RFTC, though.

I personally started labeling everything under the big genres—rock, metal, punk, hardcore, and so forth—a long time ago. I don't mind breaking things down for purposes of clarifying sounds, but whether it's pop punk, ska punk, punkabilly, or whatever, it's all still punk.

Yet the recent Bosstones discs really only have one or two songs that are ska punk.

And RFTC is essentially punk with horns (but not ska).

Actually, now that I think about it, The Bosstones and RFTC sound much more alike than I would have initially thought. I always considered the Bosstones to be "ska metal"; especially on their early releases. But their latter day stuff sounds a lot like a smoother version of RFTC.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:22 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Social D is just straight up rock with elements of blues, country and rockabilly. Their first album was as punk as they would ever be.
Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 647664

Not as funny as as how punk their song "Ball and Chain" is...
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Social D is just straight up rock with elements of blues, country and rockabilly. Their first album was as punk as they would ever be.

I love that song!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Wow! You got me. I guess Savatage is a rap group, you know, because they have that hidden rap song on one album.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:56 pm

SUGAR RAY used to be a hair metallish band in the late 80's called "SHRINKYDINKS"

I also think the guys from LIT were metal at that time as well...

GREEN DAY have always been punkish....

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:18 pm

Eyesore wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:
Punk is MDC,Blag Flag,Negative Approach,Cro-Mags, Bad Brains,Minor Threat etc. How does Green Day or Good Charlotte sound like those bands? They don't. They don't play punk-tour buses are not punk, making your own T-shirts is.
Then I guess Social Distortion isn't punk. Rolling Eyes
Rockabilly isn't punk.
I didn't realize Social D was a rockabilly band. Surely they've had some rockabilly moments in their songs, but they are a definitive punk band.

I agree with Eye. Social D was definately "real" punk....not rockabilly, not rock, and troublemagnet, it IS punk when your tour bus is basically built from the ground up with the help of the other band you toured with.....see the film "another state of mind" to see what I mean.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Can we officially lock up this thread and say that Green Day were NOT a heavy metal band in the 80's and be done?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:26 pm

Sure.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 11:02 pm

Locking threads is ga-hey.

And the first Sugar Ray album ruled.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 11:03 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I liked them better after they sold out.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I liked them better after they sold out.
Really? Weirdo.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 12:38 am

I like cookies.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 2:11 am

I remember reading in "The Oral History Of The Replacements" book Billie Joe Armstrong saying something to the effect of "If it wasn't for the Replacements i would of been playing in bad Speed Metal bands all of my life"..........
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 2:15 am

I would rather listen to bad speed metal bands...

Metal novice
Metal novice
AlbertMond

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 5:40 am

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Green Day Dookie era was far from Pop-punk to me. It was just punk rock music. They have some pretty raw rock tunes that used to be heavy to me.
Nah, they were pop punk, just like the Ramones were. Nothing wrong with the term.

The Ramones were pre-pop-punk, and really a lot more aggressive than pop-punk's ever been. I can't see them being any more pop-punk than The Clash. Both bands occasionally incorporated poppish elements, but they were pure punk rock.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:33 am

Green day? Metal??
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:35 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:
I like cookies.

Me too especially Choclate Chip
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Addy wrote:
stevegarveyfan wrote:
I like cookies.

Me too especially Choclate Chip

NUM NUM NUM NUM NUM NUM NUM !!!!

Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 180px-EvilCM
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Locking threads is ga-hey.

That first album is great! Then they scored a radio hit and it was all downhill after that...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 pm

tohostudios wrote:

And RFTC is essentially punk with horns (but not ska).

Are you familiar with The Saints and their song "Know Your Product", basically the blueprint for RFTC's brand of Horns N' Punk fueled rock n' roll..........

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2