Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?

Go down 
+20
rattpoison
stevegarveyfan
Schbopo
Stender
Shiney
tohostudios
troublemagnet
T-Roy
GrandNational
MetalRob331
Temple of Blood
Eyesore
Troublezone
ultmetal
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
manny
Metallic Blaze
mez
fingers
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Empty
PostSubject: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:56 am

there has been tthis rumour that Green Day started out as a heavy metal band back in the 80s. A mate of mine claims he's got a bootleg of them back in 1988 as a metal band
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:55 am

Possibly when they was called Sweet Children, but I never heard anything at that time, but when they changed the name over to Green Day, they were punk. They had some CD's before making it big in 94, but it was all punk, then after they made it big they were not even punk anymore but pop, and yet they still get labeled punk.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:52 am

Well, I consider them to be pop/punk - but whatever.

Their very early stuff was punk.

I do not think they were ever 'metal'.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:35 am

No
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:09 am

They were fairly Ramones-ish from what I remember. One of my friends had one of their pre-DOOKIE albums (I forget which) and when I heard it in his car one day I commented "Damn, these guys like the Ramones a whole hell of a lot don't they?"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:52 am

No - they were punk before taking the pop-punk route on Dookie
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 10:04 am

thejokeriv wrote:

What he said. Cool

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 10:05 am

I read in a biography that at one point in the late 80's before they had a musical direction they were doing Van Halen type hard rock and hair metal cover songs.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 11:24 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I've always found this kind of comment weird. It's like there always has to be this sort of "pop" justification for why a band became popular.

Green Day has hardly changed at all from day one. They've been a pop-punk band the whole time. In fact, they didn't really try anything new until "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" on Nimrod. "Welcome to Paradise," a huge hit from Dookie, was first recorded for Kerplunk! It doesn't sound any different. Same band, same sound.

Either way, they were never a metal band.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 11:39 am

Troublezone wrote:
I read in a biography that at one point in the late 80's before they had a musical direction they were doing Van Halen type hard rock and hair metal cover songs.

Not surprising, TZ, Nirvana used to do KISS and Led Zeppelin cover tunes before 'Nevermind' was released, and Kurt was a Black Sabbath fan, so I am not surprised Green Day used to do metal cover tunes.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Blind Melon started as a metal band or so I am told ...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Green Day Dookie era was far from Pop-punk to me. It was just punk rock music. They have some pretty raw rock tunes that used to be heavy to me.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:17 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Green Day Dookie era was far from Pop-punk to me. It was just punk rock music. They have some pretty raw rock tunes that used to be heavy to me.
Nah, they were pop punk, just like the Ramones were. Nothing wrong with the term.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Nah, they were pop punk, just like the Ramones were. Nothing wrong with the term.

IDK maybe I hear something else in there that makes me not like that term for these guys. Good Charlotte to me is Pop-Punk. Least we agree on the punk part..
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:57 pm

This is about as metal as they'll ever get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP0OptVY1cM
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:17 pm

Deep down inside, I've always felt that Green Day somehow carried part of the blame for the whole emo era. angry
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Punk is MDC,Blag Flag,Negative Approach,Cro-Mags, Bad Brains,Minor Threat etc. How does Green Day or Good Charlotte sound like those bands? They don't. They don't play punk-tour buses are not punk, making your own T-shirts is.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:00 pm

troublemagnet wrote:
Punk is MDC,Blag Flag,Negative Approach,Cro-Mags, Bad Brains,Minor Threat etc. How does Green Day or Good Charlotte sound like those bands? They don't. They don't play punk-tour buses are not punk, making your own T-shirts is.
Then I guess Social Distortion isn't punk. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Eyesore wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:
Rockabilly isn't punk.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:12 pm

troublemagnet wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:
Rockabilly isn't punk.

Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Lol Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? 647664
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:47 pm

troublemagnet wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:
Rockabilly isn't punk.
I didn't realize Social D was a rockabilly band. Surely they've had some rockabilly moments in their songs, but they are a definitive punk band.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Social D is just straight up rock with elements of blues, country and rockabilly. Their first album was as punk as they would ever be.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Social D is just straight up rock with elements of blues, country and rockabilly. Their first album was as punk as they would ever be.
Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? 647664
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Gotta love genre nazis.

IMO, "punk" applies to bands like The Sex Pistols, The Damned, The UK Subs, The Germs, etc.

Punk-pop applies to bands like Green Day, The Ramones, Blink 182, etc.

So I guess I agree with Eyesore. Social D is one of those bands that defies categorization IMO.

Where would you genre nazis classify bands like Rocket From The Crypt or The Mighty Mighty Bosstones?

For the record, I gave up classifying bands a long time ago. I like what I like and when someone asks for recommendations, I simply compare known bands to unknown bands. This whole genre thing is completely out of control IMO.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Ska punk for the Bosstones is the standard, I believe. Haven't heard much RFTC, though.

I personally started labeling everything under the big genres—rock, metal, punk, hardcore, and so forth—a long time ago. I don't mind breaking things down for purposes of clarifying sounds, but whether it's pop punk, ska punk, punkabilly, or whatever, it's all still punk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?   Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Were Green Day originally a heavy metal band in the 80s?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: