Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Odd Places to go CD Shopping

Go down 
+7
kmorg
spiritoradio
exact33
Thrasher73
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 6:29 pm

The pawnshops around here pretty much dried up a few years ago. I'm not even sure they take cds anymore. I've never had any luck at yard sales. Even when I did find something it looked like someone had taken sandpaper to it. Goodwill has some nice finds and is worth checking out every so often.

My big odd place for finds is library book sales. I've gotten the 3 disc Doomsday For The Deceiver and a nice Scorpions collection at one. They also tend to have things I wouldn't buy for much more than the dollar they charge but would like in my collection. Those sales were gold mines when I collected dvds.

I think I've told this story before, but a good chunk of my vinyl collection came from a library sale. The library I used to go to back east had a table out in the hallway for books for sale. Over time this morphed into people dropping off any and everything to sell. One day there where these four nice crates filled with perfect condition records just sitting there. It was a great mix of different genres. I ended up needing my buddy's truck to haul it all home. I paid a grand total of ten dollars, with the librarian acting like she overcharged me since "aren't those things useless today?".
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 10:37 am

The lates for me was JR store on MANHATTAN NEW YORK. I went there last month to buy what they are known for, computers, mp3 and everything about electronics. But when I got there, they have a section of music and dvd's and I found plenty of good music. Impelliteri,UDO,tourniquet,savatage albums from $6 to $9, accept albums for $5, primal fear,sinner, some imports, plenty of great prices from $5 and up new.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 12:09 pm

powermacho wrote:
The lates for me was JR store on MANHATTAN NEW YORK. I went there last month to buy what they are known for, computers, mp3 and everything about electronics. But when I got there, they have a section of music and dvd's and I found plenty of good music. Impelliteri,UDO,tourniquet,savatage albums from $6 to $9, accept albums for $5, primal fear,sinner, some imports, plenty of great prices from $5 and up new.

I used to hit J&R all the time when I was in college. Great store. Haven't been there in many, many years. Glad to hear they're still kickin' the metal! Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 11840

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 12:16 pm

I have gotten a majority of my collection in pawnshops but like jstate, the pawnshops over here do not carry CD's anymore.

Last edited by manny on Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 1:40 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
powermacho wrote:

I used to hit J&R all the time when I was in college. Great store. Haven't been there in many, many years. Glad to hear they're still kickin' the metal! Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 11840
That place is great news, since VIRGIN RECORDS STORES closed I was really sad, but that place has around the same things Virgin records had, and even more.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 2:21 pm

The local A&P supermarket near me has a rack near the front registers with a bunch of cheap CDs and DVDs on it, and I've made a few scores there too. Most of the CDs are pretty crap (generic Greatest Hits comps like those "Extended Versions" collections) but in the past I've found some goodies. A while back I got Cheap Trick's DREAM POLICE and S/T (both remastered w/bonus tracks) and Skid Row's SLAVE TO THE GRIND (the 'dirty' version with the song "Get the F**k Out" no less!) for $5.98 each. Can't beat that with a stick.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:
I hear that. Go in the middle of the day.

As luck would have it, I'm doing a little free-lance work in town and I saw a pawn shop arcoss the street from where I'm working. It was closed for the night, but I'm going back next week to do more work, so I'll definately be hitting that one up during the daylight hours. It's on a college campus, so there might be some real goodies in there. Heres hoping!!

Struck out at the pawn shop. I went in and they had no music at all. The owner directed me to a music shop a few doors down, but it was more like a dj supply shop. Lotsa equipment and only urban music. No rock. Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 Icon_sad

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Odd Places to go CD Shopping
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2