Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Odd Places to go CD Shopping

Go down 
+7
kmorg
spiritoradio
exact33
Thrasher73
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

Odd Places to go CD Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 2:14 pm

I'm starting this topic because think I may have just found the weirdest place in New Jersey to buy CDs....

The other day I broke a part off of my electric shaver (it fell off the bathroom counter) so I checked the Norelco web site about how to get a replacement part. I gave them my ZIP code and it gave me a list of "authorized service centers" in my area, one of which was in Denville (about five minutes from where I work), so I drove over there on my lunch break today to check it out. I wasn't familiar with the town at all but they have a pretty nice retro-looking little main street with lots of little shops and restaurants. I thought it looked kinda like "Bedford Falls" from "It's A Wonderful Life," I could totally see Jimmy Stewart running down the middle of the street in a snowstorm going "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" Haha.

Anyway, the store turned out to be a dusty little shop that also sells and repairs vacuum cleaners and other small electronic stuff (with a little old lady behind the counter) but I noticed when I drove by that the sign outside also said "RECORD AND TAPE SHOP." I was like "Oh, cool!" So I got the part I needed to fix my shaver and then browsed around the (very small and VERY dusty) selection of CDs that took up one corner of the store.

I wish I could tell you that this place turned out to be a totally brutal underground metal source but unfortunately I didn't turn up anything interesting at all, I just thought it was a hell of a weird place to find CDs. Haha. The only remotely "hard rock" or metal things that I found were a few Def Leppard CDs, one Extreme disc ("WAITING FOR THE PUNCHLINE" no less...with a price tag of $14.98 to boot. No wonder it looked like it had been sitting there since it was a new release...) and some Bon Jovi. I was like "Wow, not even any AC/DC or KISS? Good grief!" The bulk of the selection was mainly country music, pop or radio rock from the 90s (Gin Blossoms, R.E.M., Green Day, etc.) so I would assume that this store hasn't rotated their stock in a LONG while. There was a HUGE well stocked rack of "IRISH MUSIC" CDs and DVDs right in the middle of the store that looked like it was well maintained though. (???) They even had some vinyl (I noticed a little rack with a bunch of Christmas albums on it, know anyone who wants a Perry Como Christmas LP? It was only 3 bucks! Haha) and a bunch of 45s (!) on a bottom shelf. I was running out of time so I split without checking any of the vinyl out. No big deal, somehow I doubt I missed out on any metal treasures....

So where's the weirdest place that YOU'VE ever found CDs for sale? Did you make any finds?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 2:22 pm

At a flea market here a few years ago, somebody evidently sold their Christian metal collection, tapes & CD's, I found Neon Cross, Scarlet Red, Deliverance, just about everything really, so I bought it up. Sold and traded most of it, kept some of it. Odd stuff to see in the midst of ancient VHS tapes and various dusty country LP's. Now I search high and low in flea markets...

Sometimes thrift stores like the Salvation Army ones have a strange amount of CD's. I got the first Alias CD from one once. Didn't end up liking it too much, though I can't remember anything about it. Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 2:28 pm

Yea, there's a thrift store in my town where I occasionally make some decent CD finds. You gotta be willing to dig thru a LOT of crap though... haha.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 2:59 pm

I used to frequent the pawnshops in my area and found alot of gems in the past, but thoses days seems long gone, nobody sales their CD's anymore to support their drug habit.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Yardsales have some good finds every once in a while.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 5:02 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Yardsales have some good finds every once in a while.

I have yet to make any good CD finds at a yard sale, but I used to score vinyl and/or cassettes at'em occasionally back in the day.

Although when my wife and I have our own semi-annual yard sales, I usually put out a stack of loser CDs (i.e. old promos or other stuff that I don't like and I haven't been able to trade off to anyone) and every time, they're all gone by the end of the day. I'm like "wow, some people will buy anything at a yard sale." Haha.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Back in the mid/late 80s I remember a lot of LPs and tapes suddenly turning up at various local drug stores and mom-and-pop convenience stores around my area. They were all cut-outs (mostly from the Warner/Atlantic/Elektra conglomerate if memory serves) and these stores must've all been getting them from the same source cuz I used to see the same assortment of titles in all the stores. It was kinda weird to walk into the local Kwik-E-Mart and find a rack of outdated rock LPs randomly placed next to the magazines and soda. Then just as suddenly as they appeared, the stores stopped selling them.

Although I didn't complain at the time cuz before they disappeared, I collected a whole mess of AC/DC vinyl for $3.99 a pop. Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_lol

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 5:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Back in the mid/late 80s I remember a lot of LPs and tapes suddenly turning up at various drug stores and convenience stores around my area. They were all cut-outs (mainly from the Warner/Atlantic/Elektra conglomerate if memory serves) and these stores must've all been getting them from the same source cuz I used to see the same assortment of titles in all the stores. It was kinda weird to walk into the local Kwik-E-Mart and find a rack of outdated rock LPs randomly placed next to the magazines and soda. Then just as suddenly as they appeared, the stores stopped selling them.

Although I didn't complain at the time cuz before they disappeared, I collected a whole mess of AC/DC vinyl for $3.99 a pop. Laughing

The mafia used to have alot to do with the distribution of those cut-out albums. It's a documented fact.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 5:22 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

The mafia used to have alot to do with the distribution of those cut-out albums. It's a documented fact.

Wouldn't surprise me. There's a reason "The Sopranos" is set in New Jersey y'know. Laughing

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 5:25 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me. There's a reason "The Sopranos" is set in New Jersey y'know. Laughing

Here's where I heard about it.......http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,306407,00.html
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 6:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'm starting this topic because think I may have just found the weirdest place in New Jersey to buy CDs....

The other day I broke a part off of my electric shaver (it fell off the bathroom counter) so I checked the Norelco web site about how to get a replacement part. I gave them my ZIP code and it gave me a list of "authorized service centers" in my area, one of which was in Denville (about five minutes from where I work), so I drove over there on my lunch break today to check it out. I wasn't familiar with the town at all but they have a pretty nice retro-looking little main street with lots of little shops and restaurants. I thought it looked kinda like "Bedford Falls" from "It's A Wonderful Life," I could totally see Jimmy Stewart running down the middle of the street in a snowstorm going "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" Haha.

Anyway, the store turned out to be a dusty little shop that also sells and repairs vacuum cleaners and other small electronic stuff (with a little old lady behind the counter) but I noticed when I drove by that the sign outside also said "RECORD AND TAPE SHOP." I was like "Oh, cool!" So I got the part I needed to fix my shaver and then browsed around the (very small and VERY dusty) selection of CDs that took up one corner of the store.

I wish I could tell you that this place turned out to be a totally brutal underground metal source but unfortunately I didn't turn up anything interesting at all, I just thought it was a hell of a weird place to find CDs. Haha. The only remotely "hard rock" or metal things that I found were a few Def Leppard CDs, one Extreme disc ("WAITING FOR THE PUNCHLINE" no less...with a price tag of $14.98 to boot. No wonder it looked like it had been sitting there since it was a new release...) and some Bon Jovi. I was like "Wow, not even any AC/DC or KISS? Good grief!" The bulk of the selection was mainly country music, pop or radio rock from the 90s (Gin Blossoms, R.E.M., Green Day, etc.) so I would assume that this store hasn't rotated their stock in a LONG while. There was a HUGE well stocked rack of "IRISH MUSIC" CDs and DVDs right in the middle of the store that looked like it was well maintained though. (???) They even had some vinyl (I noticed a little rack with a bunch of Christmas albums on it, know anyone who wants a Perry Como Christmas LP? It was only 3 bucks! Haha) and a bunch of 45s (!) on a bottom shelf. I was running out of time so I split without checking any of the vinyl out. No big deal, somehow I doubt I missed out on any metal treasures....

So where's the weirdest place that YOU'VE ever found CDs for sale? Did you make any finds?

I used to go to Denville to the Denville Seafood shop to eat when i lived up that way.

I go to goodwills and a local pawnshop. sometimes they have good deals..

spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Odd Places to go CD Shopping   Odd Places to go CD Shopping Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Every once in awhile I'll find an actual band's cd at a dollar store. I found a cd by a band called Artful Dodger, it turned out to be an awesome album.