Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Hell Blade" opinion.

Go down 
+9
arttieTHE1manparty
mr.electric39
Cliffy
thejokeriv
scottmitchell74
ryanmetalman
ultmetal
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

"Hell Blade" opinion. Empty
PostSubject: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 7:53 am

"Hell Blade" opinion. 216_10_26_2009_7_20_28_HELL-BLADE
I'm not one who generally lives in the past and thinks that the only good music happened in the 80's, but I'm slowly turning into that guy. I say this because I think the new Saint album isn't so good. It's about as good as "In The Battle" which left me flat when I heard it. "The Mark" was a nice return to form but then "CSE" came. UGH.
I was soooo excited for this new Saint album because the hype was strong, but I have had my hopes crushed again. This album is about as bland as cardboard flavored ice cream.
Being a guy who is as visually stimulated as I am sonically, the new Saint fails again. What the hell is that on the cover? It's out of focus and the logo is stretched which is a major annoyance probably only to myself. Oh and did I mention that I hate, hate, hate digipaks?
Sonically the album is pretty average. No songs stand out and the production has a really thin feel to it. The bass is almost nonexistent which is an important piece of rock music, or at least it is to me.
I had this exact same feeling when I heard the last Alice Cooper record. I feel as though another strong band has lost the magic they once possessed. This sucks. Let's hope the improved CSE is better than this. If it isn't, I'll have to admit that Saint is another band that is a shadow of its former self. Sad
I am going to continue to listen to this in hopes that it grows on me, but I fear that won't be the case. If you're on the fence about this album, take your money and go buy the new Meliah Rage album. That one certainly won't disappoint.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 8:54 am

Ouch. That bad huh? I was similarly underwhelmed with CRIME SCENE EARTH and thought THE MARK was O.K. at best, so I didn't exactly have high hopes for this one anyway.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 9:04 am

Well Damn Spec, I was thinking about picking this up but now I'll have to listen to it before I buy it.Im not a Huge Saint fan but I really liked The Mark,and also their earlier stuff Like Times End.I never heard anything on CSE that made me wanna rush out and buy it.Thanks for the review buddy!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 9:08 am

I loved In the Battle. The Mark I liked, but not quite as much as In the Battle. Crime Scene Earth was disappointing, mostly due to the vocals. When I first received it, I wondered what happened to Josh Kramer's voice. It didn't take long to figure out that Josh had only sang on three songs. I received and advance copy of Crime Scene Earth 2.0, which has been remixed, remastered and has Josh Kramer singing on all the songs. I can honestly say, I now like this album quite a bit. Josh is the voice of Saint, and his voice was the key ingredient missing on that album. Even with a slightly flat, 1970's style production, I still found the album entirely enjoyable. I think the 70's style production was intentional. I also love the new cover that Rex did. (Of course, it could be a bit of bias since it's my hand featured on the cover.)

I like Hell Blade. I like it a lot actually. I don't think it's flat. I do think the production is a little thin, but it's certainly not bad.

nolifetilmetal.com wrote:
The mighty metal machine which is Saint returns in 2010 with their latest molten metal monstrosity. For the most part, Saint is a band that has stuck to it’s musical guns, cranking out traditional heavy metal. “Hell Blade” is not exception. This CD starts off with an ominous intro before breaking into the double bass lead “The Blade”. The band certainly hasn’t lost energy as they’ve matured. This song is a mid-tempo heavy romp complete with those Halford-esque vocals. With “Hell Blade”, Saint sees the return of vocalist Josh Kramer singing every song, unlike the band’s 2008 release which saw bassist Richard Lynch taking over vocal duties for much of the album. Kramer, who has often been compared to Rob Halford and is a huge part of the charisma of this band.

“To the Cross” sees the band adding in a heavy thrash riff, though the song remains mid-paced and melodic. “To the Cross” is a memorable metal number and one of the standout cuts on the album. This song will most likely be one of those that will carry one in the band’s live set for years to come. “Crying In the Night” is a more melodic number and sounds like it could have been part of the band’s ‘89 classic “Too Late for Living.” “Hell Train” picks up the aggression once again and is yet another heavy number. Closing number and title track picks up the tempo a bit, adding in a slight speed metal influence, though never crossing over to thrash. For the most part, the entire record is centered around the catchy, mid-paced, riff-driven songs that Saint has become known for writing.

Saint’s lyrical direction hasn’t changed over time either. End times have always been a theme for Saint and is also explored here. However, the band also explore struggling with sin, temptation and inner peace, as heard in the lyrics of the cleverly titled “Sinnerpeace”.

The production on “Hell Blade” is much improved over the past couple of independent releases. The album has some modern production values yet still retains that retro, classic heavy metal vibe.

Saint are Christian metal legends and their newest album, “Hell Blade” only helps secure that title. Long time Saint fans will not be disappointed.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:09 am

Wow, we clearly have differing opinions here. Honestly, I'm having trouble getting into the new stuff too. I'm not sure why. I really dig "Too Late For Living" and "Times End," so you would think this would be right up my alley. I have purchased 2 of the more recent albums and they just didn't grab me. I gave one of em away a few years ago, but I still have "the Mark." Maybe it will grow on me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:12 am

TIME'S END is a great album. It sounds kinda like a mythical lost Judas Priest album that could've come between BRITISH STEEL and POINT OF ENTRY.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks for the (honest) review Spec. That can be hard to do, and I appreciated the honesty. I've been excited about this one as well. Now I need to really get some listens in of their samples.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 11:18 am

ryanmetalman wrote:
Wow, we clearly have differing opinions here. Honestly, I'm having trouble getting into the new stuff too. I'm not sure why. I really dig "Too Late For Living" and "Times End," so you would think this would be right up my alley. I have purchased 2 of the more recent albums and they just didn't grab me. I gave one of em away a few years ago, but I still have "the Mark." Maybe it will grow on me.

Time's End is my favorite Saint album!!! Too Late For Living is also good, but not as good as Time's End.

I have heard 'The Mark', 'The Battle' and 'CSI' but neither of them left me wanting to go out and buy the albums so they aren; tin my collection.
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 1:51 pm

I hear nothing remotely thin about this album...I only hear hugeness and I hear lots of bass/bottom end, too...had I brought it out anymore the kick drum woulda been too overwhelming.

Crazy how different people hear different things.

As far as your digipak issue...welcome to 2009, it's what most labels are turning to. My advice? Get an iPod...it'll change your outlook on stuff like that.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 2:06 pm

IMO I think people are looking for that thick modern production. I don't think Saint ever intended to have that modern sounding production. They have a classic/traditional heavy metal sound and production.

I think the production on CSE 2.0 is MUCH improved over the original. I have them both on my Ipod and I like the new version 100x better.

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 2:15 pm

Cliffy wrote:

As far as your digipak issue...welcome to 2009, it's what most labels are turning to. My advice? Get an iPod...it'll change your outlook on stuff like that.
I have an MP3 device. Not an iPod, mind you. But there are MANY of us that still want the physical item. I might have not made an issue with the digipak if the art was a bit clearer. I know I'm probably being too critical, but for all the hype leading up to this, the end product was a huge disappointment. This makes me wish I never preordered CSE2.0.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 2:26 pm

Ahhhhhhhh, don't give up on CSE 2.0. You may like it. I do. If you like that classic early 80's metal sound, I think you might dig it.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 2:29 pm

ultmetal wrote:
IMO I think people are looking for that thick modern production. I don't think Saint ever intended to have that modern sounding production. They have a classic/traditional heavy metal sound and production.

Modern production stylings with classic bands don't generally lead to very good results.

A-B this album with either of the two classic Pure Metal releases and it's quickly apparent that, on a sonic level, this annihilates both of those. As far as songwriting and performance...this is at least as good as those as well.

later...Cliffy

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 2:34 pm

Quote :
A-B this album with either of the two classic Pure Metal releases and it's quickly apparent that, on a sonic level, this annihilates both of those. As far as songwriting and performance...this is at least as good as those as well.

But of course, those albums came out 20 years ago, of course the new one would sound better. However, the material is DEFINITELY not better than the "classic" albums or even the original CSE for that matter. The test will be what people think of this album in a year's time. Hell, maybe I'll like it then, but now...not so much.
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 2:35 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I might have not made an issue with the digipak if the art was a bit clearer.

Well, I haven't seen the physical product, just the plant pdf proofs and I have a very clean and clear version of the cover for my iPod:

"Hell Blade" opinion. Saint-hellblade

To me that looks like a fairly well executed modern take on traditional metal styled artwork.

Now...my version is digi-rectangle resized to cd-square which I think looks great, but the digi-rectangle looks perfectly fine to me as well.

Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 2:41 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

But of course, those albums came out 20 years ago, of course the new one would sound better. However, the material is DEFINITELY not better than the "classic" albums or even the original CSE for that matter. The test will be what people think of this album in a year's time. Hell, maybe I'll like it then, but now...not so much.

Now, now...I wouldn't agree with the notion that something recorded today automatically sounds better than something recorded years ago. I greatly prefer the recording style of the 80's over today's recordings.

I get all excited everytime I listen to Hell Blade...I really do. I've been a Saint fan since their Morada Records days and have been very disappointed with their output since reuniting (though I did think that In The Battle had killer songs, but that release is marred by subpar production...terrible drum tones). This is the first Saint album since their Pure Metal period that does it for me and it does it on a major level. It's my favorite album of the year...by a mile.

mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 2:44 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Cliffy wrote:

I have an MP3 device. Not an iPod, mind you. But there are MANY of us that still want the physical item. I might have not made an issue with the digipak if the art was a bit clearer. I know I'm probably being too critical, but for all the hype leading up to this, the end product was a huge disappointment. This makes me wish I never preordered CSE2.0.

Definately differing points of view....

Hell Blade is LIGHT YEARS ahead of 'In The Battle'... ITB I thought was rather average and boring frankly, with 3 good songs or so. CSE left me completely flat as well. I've not heard 'The Mark'....

However HELL BLADE kicks ASS! LIsten to 'To The Cross'... CRUSHING RIFF.... "The Blade"... powerful!.... "New World Order" kicks!.... There were a couple of songs that left me slightly flat however... "Sinner Peace"... boring! and "Endless Night" was rather endless....

The first time through the only song that HOOKED me was "To The Cross" and I gave it about 5 more listens before I started to put it all together....

On the whole I gave it 8/10.... it's not a classic, but just as good as 'Times End' and "Too Late For Living".....

I thought the production was just better than the last couple of releases..... Nice and strong...

Differing opinions is always a good thing, it adds different perspectives and different ideas!

"Hell Blade" opinion. 438278
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 3:15 pm

Great! lol. I was perfectly content to never get another Saint album. Now I must order "Hell Blade" so I can check it out for myself...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 3:16 pm

ryanmetalman wrote:
Great! lol. I was perfectly content to never get another Saint album. Now I must order "Hell Blade" so I can check it out for myself...

Paypal me $11 and I'll send you my copy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 3:42 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
ryanmetalman wrote:

Be sure to put a decent quality rip on your mp3 player before you sell it...you may return to it later and realize you were in error.

ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 6:51 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
ryanmetalman wrote:

Sorry bub, already ordered it elsewhere.
Thanks though.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 6:56 pm

[quote="Cliffy"]
SpectreFate wrote:
ryanmetalman wrote:

Be sure to put a decent quality rip on your mp3 player before you sell it...you may return to it later and realize you were in error.

Been there, done that. There have been several records I got rid of in my youth that I wish I wouldn't have. I actually sold a copy of Believer's Sanity Obscure to Hastings a long time ago. Fortunately I got another copy from Radrockers several years later.

That is a great suggestion. Lately I have been ripping them to my computer if I plan to give it away or re-sell cds.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Man, this is a MONSTER record and now sits at the top of the Saint heap for me! This is the pinnacle of their career, song-wise, production-wise, lyrically, everything. Just an incredible record that I cannot imagine any metalhead loving. Seriously, killer, KILLER work!

And Cliffy...I love the production and mastering!

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 11:30 pm

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:
Man, this is a MONSTER record and now sits at the top of the Saint heap for me! This is the pinnacle of their career, song-wise, production-wise, lyrically, everything. Just an incredible record that I cannot imagine any metalhead loving. Seriously, killer, KILLER work!

And Cliffy...I love the production and mastering!

Arttie

I actually agree.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 5:26 am

Can't wait for this! I thought the production was really, really good (judging from the samples I've heard). Let's hope it won't take long before it gets here...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Hell Blade" opinion.   "Hell Blade" opinion. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Hell Blade" opinion.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next