Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

bands you don't like, but others do

Go down 
+34
Getizzyback
Chairman_Smith
Fat Freddy
jerseyultifan+
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Lurideath
rattpoison
metalheaded
Required Fields
SlaytanicPOWER
jstate
Addy
jksilvi
sheets
MetalGuy71
kmorg
Olafsto
T-Roy
JBall_Z
Thrasher73
thejokeriv
manny
ultmetal
ghost
SideShowDisaSter
SAHB Healer
Troublezone
Orion Crystal Ice
mc666
Temple of Blood
akeldama
Schbopo
Metallic Blaze
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 3:11 pm

akeldama wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
some that come to mind:

Stevie Ray Vaughan

I know it only shows 2 SRV's on your site but you say some pretty good stuff about SRV. bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_scratch

Ehhhhhh, I just tire of hearing how great of a guitarist he is, when in fact he isn't doing anything that hasn't been done for decades. I work with a guy who thinks, "He plays Hendrix better than Hendrix." To that I say, BULL! Hendrix was an innovator and an icon.

I worked out with a guy who thinks SRV is the greatest guitarists ever. REALLY? What makes him the greatest? I just don't get it. He's a good blues/rock guitarist, but what makes him the greatest ever? What's he doing that is so special and different than any other blues player?

Also, our local radio station plays him to death. I don't listen to the radio at all except at the gym, yet somehow I am force fed a steady diet of SRV hits.

So, I guess I don't dislike SRV, I'm just tired of hearing him and hearing about him. I haven't played either one of the CDs on my site for years.

Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Lynyrd Skynyrd...but I have an excuse. I grew up and still live in Georgia. I have constantly been bombarded with this twangy annoyance since I was a fetus. Maybe if I had grown up in the 70s it would be different.....

Lessee........Mastodon. I just don't understand the big deal with them. Intresting lyrical concepts....just wish the music matched up with it.

The Allman Bros.......again, this is because of the fact that I live in Georgia. I like some stuff, but the rest gets on my nerve.

Creed......I like the song "My Own Prison", and that's it. WAY too much of a Pearl Jam similarity for me.
Back to top Go down
jerseyultifan+
Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 4:26 pm

ok..in agreement with scott on his list on previous page and his distaste for the dixie chicks.i dont like bruce springsteen and bon jovi.people automatically assume since i come from the garden state(nj) i should like them.maybe if they hadnt been so overplayed here at sporting events and local djs! but,nah!! dont like them! bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 19976
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 4:49 pm

jerseyultifan+ wrote:

i dont like bruce springsteen and bon jovi.people automatically assume since i come from the garden state(nj) i should like them.maybe if they hadnt been so overplayed here at sporting events and local djs! but,nah!! dont like them! bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 19976

Preach it sista!! I'm a fellow Garden State resident and I wouldn't lose any sleep if Springsteen fell into a black hole tomorrow, and took Bon Jovi with him.

I prefer to cite Overkill and the Misfits as bands that represent Tha Jerz. bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 11840

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 4:54 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Motorhead-cant stand Lemmys voice.Sounds like a dying calf in a Hail Storm.

Don't agree with ya in the slightest, but that comparison is bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 201269

Thrasher73 wrote:
Dream Theater

Gawd, YES! I have never understood what all the whoop-de-doo is about with that band. They bore me poopless. Zzzzzzzzzz.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 4:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
jerseyultifan+ wrote:

i dont like bruce springsteen and bon jovi.people automatically assume since i come from the garden state(nj) i should like them.maybe if they hadnt been so overplayed here at sporting events and local djs! but,nah!! dont like them! bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 19976

Preach it sista!! I'm a fellow Garden State resident and I wouldn't lose any sleep if Springsteen fell into a black hole tomorrow, and took Bon Jovi with him.
bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 11840
No...you didn't... bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 706602
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 4:57 pm

T-Roy wrote:

No...you didn't...

Ohhhh yes I did.

Never took you for a Bon Jovi fan, T-Roy. Do your death metal friends know that you carry a secret torch for them? That's the sort of thing that will get you drummed out of the Cookie Monster Vocal Fan Club ya'know.

Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 5:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
T-Roy wrote:

No...you didn't...

Ohhhh yes I did.

Never took you for a Bon Jovi fan, T-Roy. Do your death metal friends know that you carry a secret torch for them? That's the sort of thing that will get you drummed out of the Cookie Monster Vocal Fan Club ya'know.
You only WISH your favorite bands were as AWESOME as John!!! bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 591800

And we can just keep this between us. No reason to go yacking about something as silly as me liking Bon Jovi to the CMVFC, haha, that's silly, hahaha, huh? silent
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 7:21 pm

Gotta add Bruce Springsteen to my list
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 7:22 pm

I agree with Ult about Stevie Ray Vaughn. I don't hate him, but he's not the innovator people make him out to be. WAY overrated.

Steve Vai. Steve Stevens. David T. Chastain. Yngwie Malmsteen.

Now those are some great guitarists!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 7:24 pm

I dont think ive been exposed to enough SRV to really have an opinion but when it comes to blues I really like the very early stuff
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
jerseyultifan+
Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 7:58 pm

wow! freddy had such harsh words!! lol! bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 201269 hey,ok..shameless plug..the best vocalist commin from the garden state is our buddy here!! bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 795291 scott waters! yea! scott!! my favorite guitarists..eddie van halen,jimi hendrix,jimmy page,steve vai and some others!
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 8:07 pm

Overkill
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 8:45 pm

jerseyultifan+ wrote:
wow! freddy had such harsh words!!

Oh pleeeeeze, you obviously don't know me well enuff yet... I can be WAY harsher.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 8:46 pm

I love Stevie Ray Vaughan!!!! I saw the guy live with Jeff Beck, and the man was incredible!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 9:02 pm

Steve Vai was mentioned...can I add my 'zzzzz' to that too? bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

SRV I like, but mostly in the live setting...too restrained in the studio recordings...agree?
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 9:15 pm

My main ones that are considered "Gods" by most"

The Who
Kiss
Eric Clapton
Judas Preist
Iron Maiden
Aerosmith
The Rolling Stones
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Getizzyback wrote:

Eric Clapton

Even though I like all those others you put, I'm with you on this. I like him in Cream and the Bluesbreakers, but Clapton's solo stuff is pretty abysmal
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 9:49 pm

I think Clapton is way overrated.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 10:20 pm

ultmetal wrote:
akeldama wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
some that come to mind:

Stevie Ray Vaughan

I know it only shows 2 SRV's on your site but you say some pretty good stuff about SRV. bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_scratch

Ehhhhhh, I just tire of hearing how great of a guitarist he is, when in fact he isn't doing anything that hasn't been done for decades. I work with a guy who thinks, "He plays Hendrix better than Hendrix." To that I say, BULL! Hendrix was an innovator and an icon.

I worked out with a guy who thinks SRV is the greatest guitarists ever. REALLY? What makes him the greatest? I just don't get it. He's a good blues/rock guitarist, but what makes him the greatest ever? What's he doing that is so special and different than any other blues player?

Also, our local radio station plays him to death. I don't listen to the radio at all except at the gym, yet somehow I am force fed a steady diet of SRV hits.

So, I guess I don't dislike SRV, I'm just tired of hearing him and hearing about him. I haven't played either one of the CDs on my site for years.

I too think SRV does the Hendrix tunes better than Hendrix and I'm a Hendrix freak! But I do agree with you that Jimi was an innovator and turned the music scene on its ear.

The think with SRV is he has a mean tone and I think he (as even Stevie would say) just copied what his heroes did. SRV just made the Blues that much better and pretty much ruined it for everybody else, everyone who does Blues nowadays can't help but copy SRV in some way but then again the same could be said of Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Magic Sam, Albert King, etc. etc. With that being said SRV added a technical side to the Blues that wasn't there.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 10:57 am

stained
nickelback
creed
puddle of mudd
kutless
big dismal

I can't even tell those guys apart... bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Confused
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 11:04 am

Not sure why everyone is listing all these non-metal bands. I assume the question, being asked on a metal forum, should be referring to metal bands that most people like, but you do not. Anyway, just my $0.02.

For me, I have never gained a real appreciation for Suffocation like I feel I should have.

Of course, there is always Pantera. Love by many, but also disliked by plenty.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 11:08 am

I forgot Underoath. Cries of the Past is the only album of theirs I can sit through. Seems like every kid I bump into loves Underoath, but all they now is the new stuff with Solid State Records.

Well, at least the kids love 'em.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 11:19 am

AchrisK wrote:
Not sure why everyone is listing all these non-metal bands. I assume the question, being asked on a metal forum, should be referring to metal bands that most people like, but you do not. Anyway, just my $0.02.

For me, I have never gained a real appreciation for Suffocation like I feel I should have.

Of course, there is always Pantera. Love by many, but also disliked by plenty.

You make a great point about the non-metal bands. I think a big part of it is some of us are stuck around people who listen to non-metal and we are sick of it and have a chance to vent that here, or these are artists that are influenced by metal in some far off distant way, or are artists that would influence metal. I personally have people in my life who's definition of metal is very different from mine... Puddle of Creed and so fourth...

I can't list Pantera here. Though I am not a big fan I dig "Vulgar Display..." and "Cowboys From Hell."

To list a heavy metal band... King James. I never heard their second album, but I felt that the first was way over rated.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 11:31 am

...but do most people like King James?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bands you don't like, but others do   bands you don't like, but others do - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bands you don't like, but others do
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next