Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grammar question

Go down 
+2
Thrasher73
kmorg
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 1:16 pm

I was wondering what is correct to say/write:

1. "band so and so" was formed in.....

or

2. "band so and so" were formed in.....

I look at this from two angles. 1. We are either taling about a band as a collective force, as in it. Then it should be: "band so and so" [it] was formed, right?

or

2. You are taling about a band as a group of various members, as in they. Then the correct term would be: "band so and so" [they] were formed, right?

Can anyone help me out her, without using too many grammar terms?

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 1:33 pm

I would say your second option.The band name is a group of members which would make the appropriate term "were".
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 1:49 pm

Were is correct, though it can seem awkward when spoken ...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 2:07 pm

Thanks guys! That was my guess too. But I've seen the opposite several times too, so I had to ask.

nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 4:14 pm

yeah were is the correct way to say it
Back to top Go down

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 9:02 pm

I think if it is phrased "The" band so and so, then "was" would work. Because, then you are only speaking in singular terms.

The band, Saxon, was formed in 1976 under the monnicker SOB.
Back to top Go down

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 9:19 pm

"Was" is the correct way to say it. "Were" is more English than American. Just like "Def Leppard are the greatest band ever" is acceptable, but again, it's more English. The proper American was is to say "Def Leppard is the greatest band ever." And that, of course, is being honest, as well.

And just because it's acceptable in England, doesn't mean it's right! Haha. When speaking of a band, it's a collective term, thus singular. If you're interested in little tidbits like this, buy this book:

Grammar question Strunk_white

It's a great book for writers. It costs about $10, and covers all those little stupid rules that people always screw up. I use it all the time.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 2:35 pm

aaarghh, now I'm confused again!

Eyesore: You think I'll find that book in our Norwegian bookstores? Wink

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 1:32 pm

I think was might be more correct of the two.

Another good little book is the Stylebook and Study Guide by Michael & Susan Cornner. It's a journalism book (it's about $5) and I had it for my Journalism class last semester. I'm talking about the shorter version too. There is another one that's about 10 times as thick (say a inch or two... or three) and more $.

Grammar question 6m759jv7
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 2:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:
"Was" is the correct way to say it. "Were" is more English than American. Just like "Def Leppard are the greatest band ever" is acceptable, but again, it's more English. The proper American was is to say "Def Leppard is the greatest band ever." And that, of course, is being honest, as well.

And just because it's acceptable in England, doesn't mean it's right! Haha. When speaking of a band, it's a collective term, thus singular. If you're interested in little tidbits like this, buy this book:

Grammar question Strunk_white

It's a great book for writers. It costs about $10, and covers all those little stupid rules that people always screw up. I use it all the time.

I had this book when I was taking a basic writing course in college. Now I wish I'd kept it, but as soon as the class was over at the end of the semester I sold it back to the campus book store cuz I needed beer money. Duh!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 7:25 pm

Were, is the grammatically correct way to say it. Although, when one of my students uses was, I don't take points off I just circle it and give them an explanation if they raise the issue with me. Besides, I teach in a public h.s. in America, there are usually bigger grammatical mistakes contained in their papers. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grammar question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar question   Grammar question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grammar question
Page 1 of 1