Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band) Empty
PostSubject: War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)   War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 1:43 am

Any fans here? I first heard War & Peace a few years back, I found Light At The End Of The Tunnel in Boston, used. I was really impressed with it. I was actually surprised at how much influence Pilson obviously had in Dokken's sound, especially vocally. His harmonies are dead-on Dokken all the way. War & Peace is a pretty standard hard rock band, but they do it really well. Pilson pretty much does everything—vocals, guitar, keyboards, bass, etc. It seems he can't play the drums, at least well enough, because he's got someone else doing the drum work.

They have a few albums, but I've not heard any but Light At The End Of The Tunnel until today. I got the new album (just released, but recorded in 2004, apparently), The Walls Have Eyes, today from Metal Mayhem. Once again, I'm extremely impressed! This one is even better than Light At The End Of The Tunnel. Anyway, if you've not heard them before, definitely check out these tracks:

WAR & PEACE 4-PACK

There's four songs in that zip file. Two from Light At The End Of The Tunnel—the thrasy (sort of) "What Cost War" and my favorite on the album, "Playing God Again." And two others from The Walls Have Eyes"Stranger In My Own Land" and a great vocal- and cello-only cover of Dokken's "Walk Away." The cover should solidify exactly what I mean when I say Pilson had a lot to do with Dokken's sound.

Anyway, I hope you dig 'em.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)   War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 2:22 am

Haven't heard them before, but thankyou for making putting up some tracks to download. I think it kicks ass so far.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)   War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 9:12 am

I've not heard them either, but will check out the samples.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)   War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 9:56 am

I've never heard'em either, though I've wanted to for some time (big Dokken fan here). Thanks for the sample.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)   War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 11:08 am

Check out the album he did with George Lynch too. Wicked Underground by Lynch/Pilson. Nothing spectacular, but worth checking out if you're a fan. Jeff is definately more talented than he gets credit for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)   War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 1:16 pm

Saxon is sending me that Lynch/Pilson CD. I actually just bought REvolution yesterday. George reinterpreted some old Dokken and Lynch Mob songs. From what I can tell it's going to take a few more listens for it all to sink in, because he changed them up pretty good. Far more modern, slower, and groovier.

But yeah, War & Peace are great! Let me know what you guys think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)   War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 6:26 pm

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)   War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I actually just bought REvolution yesterday. George reinterpreted some old Dokken and Lynch Mob songs. From what I can tell it's going to take a few more listens for it all to sink in, because he changed them up pretty good. Far more modern, slower, and groovier.

I got a promo of the REvolution CD when it first came out. What'd you think of it? I thought it was pretty awful. The reworked Dokken songs were almost unrecognizable. It seemed to me that he messed with them the way he did just to give Don a coronary when he heard them. Smile

Haven't had time to listen to the W&P tracks yet but when I do I'll pass along my thoughts...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)   War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 6:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I actually just bought REvolution yesterday. George reinterpreted some old Dokken and Lynch Mob songs. From what I can tell it's going to take a few more listens for it all to sink in, because he changed them up pretty good. Far more modern, slower, and groovier.

I got a promo of the REvolution CD when it first came out. What'd you think of it? I thought it was pretty awful. The reworked Dokken songs were almost unrecognizable. It seemed to me that he messed with them the way he did just to give Don a coronary when he heard them. :)

Haven't had time to listen to the W&P tracks yet but when I do I'll pass along my thoughts...
I think REvolution is decent. I think I'd probably enjoy it more if they were originals. Haha. I can barely even sing along, he's changed them so much. It messes with my head. But I think that's the way to do it when re-recording your own material. Make it different. Make it worthwhile.

I think this one will get better with time. It's very modern rock-sounding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)   War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

War & Peace (Jeff Pilson's Band)
Page 1 of 1