Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Instant Live CDs

Go down 
+6
Addy
manny
thejokeriv
Metallic Blaze
James B.
Metal Misfit
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 12:44 pm

When I went to see KISS the other night, as soon as we walked out the door, they had people selling stacks and stacks of the show on CDs and USB drives. How is this possible? KISS isn't even the only band that offers "instant" live recordings and you can actually go online and PICK which show you want to order.

What did they do? Record at a soundcheck and pipe in crowd and pyro? Every date is going to sound the same? Paul talked a lot specifically about Detroit and Cobo, so if that's not on the album, we're just supposed to think it's been edited out?

Anyone ever pick up an instant live and know how it works?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 4:54 pm

I have Instant live from Dead and ABB shows that I bought right after the show. They either have alot of burners onsite or they have a booth where you pay and it comes in the mail. The ones I have are the exact show I seen, the amount of crowd noise depends om how many mikes they have around the arena or amphitheater. I have heard of bad discs coming from the burner, but replacement is always done, though time consuming.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 7:36 pm

I never heard of anyone doing this.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:

KISS has done this on previous tours. I think Ult has one listed on his web site from a show he attended
Back to top Go down

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:04 am

They record the actual show from the soundboard and sell it...they have machines that mass-produce them quickly for fans...the CD's usually come in a generic digipack with the band logo that has a sticker showing the date of the show...my guitarist in LOF has 2 of them from KISS shows...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:06 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:

Alot of bands have been doing this, and I am sure this will be standard practice in a few years.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 12:50 pm

I think alot of artists are starting to do this I think it's cool
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 2:39 pm

UDO was also doing this on his last tour.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Wasn't Tesla doing this too?

Sounds like a pretty cool idea, especially for someone like myself that isn't a big "live album" fan. But I might pick up a cd of the show I just saw if the price was reasonable. Makes for a cool memento.

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Unless there was a mistake or something, how do you know it was your show? I'm sure it would be pretty easy to "insert city name" here into the audio of a canned show.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 3:11 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Unless there was a mistake or something, how do you know it was your show? I'm sure it would be pretty easy to "insert city name" here into the audio of a canned show.

But ow do you do that on the spot? On Kiss is changeing the set-list on many shows on this tour.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 3:23 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

I guess it depends on how quick the turn-around is. If they are giving you a disc right then & there at the show, the probably don't time to edit anything. You're getting it as is, warts & all. However, if it's something you pay for then it's mailed to ya, well, who knows what kinda studio trickery you're getting.

Could depend on the band too. Just for an example, let's say it's someone like Pearl Jam who is all about the live experience and bootlegs, etc. They'll give you that night's concert as is. They won't care. However a band like KISS, who might be more concerned about the quality of their performance, might be inclined to clean things up a little.

Or you'll know if the lead singer of a particular band has a good stage rap/motor mouth or if they are a little more scripted "How ya feeling out there tonight [insert town here]!!"

So to answer your question Spec, I guess we don't know if it's your exact show or not. Quite being such a cynic, ya spoil sport.

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 3:25 pm

kmorg wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

But ow do you do that on the spot? On Kiss is changeing the set-list on many shows on this tour.

You don't do it on the spot, if you have a set list that you planned in advance. Honestly, I'm sure they are authentic, but much like Homer Simpson in one of my favorite Simspons scenes, I was playing Devil's Advocate. Only thing is he was playing a pinball machine, I was playing a mind game.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 3:54 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
kmorg wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

You don't do it on the spot, if you have a set list that you planned in advance. Honestly, I'm sure they are authentic, but much like Homer Simpson in one of my favorite Simspons scenes, I was playing Devil's Advocate. Only thing is he was playing a pinball machine, I was playing a mind game.

With a band like KISS, you have to figure that they aren't changing the set-lists that frequently because of all the video/pyro elements involved. That stuff has to be planned out plenty in advance, especially when pyrotechnics are involved. Lest we forget what happened to James Hetfield. So the set-list from Europe might differ from that of the States, they could even change things up on east coast/west coast shows, but they aren't switching things up on a nightly basis. So yea, they could easily give you a canned performance. Paul's comments before 'Firehouse' are probably the same in 2009 as they were back in 1978.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 4:05 pm

I have one of these from Kiss' Rock The Nation Tour back in 2004, Newbury Comics sells six or seven different ones from all different cities. The set list does change a bit by region and you have to go online to download the set list and credits cuz the packaging is pretty generic. I think I paid $15 for my 2 disc set brand new a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:33 pm

You can go to concert-online.com and pick whatever show you want. This goes for KISS and whatever other artists that sell their instant live CDs through that site.

I plan on ordering the show I went to when I get paid this week. I guess I just didn't think the technology was there to get the CDs made THAT quick. I mean, we got out of there pretty quick and they had someone selling the CDs right at the door. Guess I'll find out for sure when I hear the CD.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:22 pm

I don't really like that idea.

I like the official live CD. Just me.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 12:53 am

I also got one from KISS's 2004 Rock the Nation tour. It's an awesome idea. I would rather have a cd of the actual show that I was at than a generic tour t-shirt any day. Of all of Gene's money making ideas this is by far the best IMO.

Yeah I had to wait a little while after the show as they were burning off the discs, each album was a 2 disc set in a digi-pack with a sticker with the date and the venue and a website address on the back where you could go and get the track list to print off. All of the tracks were separated and it had everything in it that was in the show, nothing was cut out.

When I got it was in 2004 so in 5 years the technology has only gotten faster and better, so it's entirely possible that they fired a bunch off within seconds to sell, but I'm sure some people had to wait. They have people that know what there doing, I guess.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 7:24 am

Quote :
Of all of Gene's money making ideas this is by far the best IMO.

PEARL JAM did it first...Gene owes Eddie Vedder a royality. Instant Live CDs Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 8:36 am

They burn as the show is being played, kinda sorta like a DVR. Like Sean said, "massive" amounts at a time. I got my first instant live in late 02' or early 03' at an Allman Brothers Band show.

Instant Live CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instant Live CDs   Instant Live CDs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Instant Live CDs
Page 1 of 1