Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees

Go down 
+71
Required Fields
muckie
assault_attack
MoonChild
the sentinel
Vexer6
Glower
Sword Of The Heretic
stormspell
Metal Misfit
iamrockerfun
bassman
MetallicSeminarian
bass63
ElectricEye93
Short-Fuse
Thelemech
journeyman
QuothTheRaven
Tur-Thalion
corplhicks
akeldama
Boris2008
Hadley
SpectreFate
Shawn Of Fire
chewie
nevermore
messiaen77
Orion Crystal Ice
ZombieHavoc
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
jstate
Red Kitty
Grimmo
stpatrik
Wurthless
exact33
Sutekh
ShadowAngel
Dark Horseman
The_Jayroh
James B.
MetalFRO
snooloui
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
sheets
spiritoradio
Leatherface
mr.electric39
rattpoison
Addy
metalinmyveins
Troublezone
Schbopo
mc666
Svengo
Fat Freddy
kmorg
Mglaffas81
scottmitchell74
manny
DeathCult
T-Roy
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Dave the Boss
thejokeriv
75 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Eddie is spot on.

Recently I had a conversation about music with a guy I had just met. He was a casual music fan. Eventually, we got around to talking about the RNRHOF. Of course, I had to mention the fact that KISS is still not in. He was shocked. "You've got to be kidding me," he said, "I'm not even a fan, but KISS? That's crazy."

I couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 1:08 am

manny wrote:
Rattpoison, nobody is denying Abba's influence and their talent. Even if you hate Abba you can't deny their impact on popular culture, what I object about this so called Hall of Fame, is that in most cases it seems to be more about musical snobbery then actually considering bands that have made some lasting impact.

I like the Hollies but you cannot tell me that they have made a bigger impact than say Deep Purple or Judas Priest for example.

But are you guys not in turn being snobs and elitists by saying these guys are more deserving than those guys?

My only problem with the Rock Hall isn't the debates about what's rock or not or the snubbing of classic rock monoliths but the reluctance to include artists whose names may not be so visible in the wider pop consciousness but who have had a ridiculously huge impact and influence on music like say the New York Dolls, Big Star and Suicide for example. Methinks they will never get included because the won't sell tickets to their little shindig because their not "names"! That's wrong.

As for the Hollies that string of classic albums and singles in the mid to late 60's has had a huge impact on many power pop, garage, psych, chamber pop, rock n' roll etc bands since. Are they more deserving than Judas Priest, well i guess that comes down to opinion. The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 1:57 am

ultmetal wrote:
ABBA in, KISS out. Now that's rock and roll! headbanger
Abba had/has way more integrity.

metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 2:37 am

rattpoison wrote:
manny wrote:
Rattpoison, nobody is denying Abba's influence and their talent. Even if you hate Abba you can't deny their impact on popular culture, what I object about this so called Hall of Fame, is that in most cases it seems to be more about musical snobbery then actually considering bands that have made some lasting impact.

I like the Hollies but you cannot tell me that they have made a bigger impact than say Deep Purple or Judas Priest for example.

But are you guys not in turn being snobs and elitists by saying these guys are more deserving than those guys?

My only problem with the Rock Hall isn't the debates about what's rock or not or the snubbing of classic rock monoliths but the reluctance to include artists whose names may not be so visible in the wider pop consciousness but who have had a ridiculously huge impact and influence on music like say the New York Dolls, Big Star and Suicide for example. Methinks they will never get included because the won't sell tickets to their little shindig because their not "names"! That's wrong.

As for the Hollies that string of classic albums and singles in the mid to late 60's has had a huge impact on many power pop, garage, psych, chamber pop, rock n' roll etc bands since. Are they more deserving than Judas Priest, well i guess that comes down to opinion. The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_cool

Rattpoison here is the problem, the ELECTION of groups like ABBA & The Hollies (who I both enjoy) are totally and utterly
predictable. Those two groups will now join the other 99% of
totally and utterly predictable inductees. When it's all said and done, I believe that both ABBA & The Hollies should've been elected (whether it had been this year or in future years). Sadly the disproportion between that of pop groups and rock groups is growing exponentially. Rock & Roll has always had this go against the grain image, but you would be lucky to find many inductees currently in the Hall of Fame who subscribed to that mentality.

It comes down to this Rattpoison, those who are behind the voting process, are voters who simply play it safe, as it pertains to how they vote. By not voting KISS into the Hall of Fame, it simply continues this negative attitude that the voters have against music such as hard rock/metal. Furthermore it stifles any attempt that groups like Rush, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc will ever have of being inducted. If a group like KISS can't get inducted on their name alone, then how the heck are these other bands ever going to get inducted? The simple answer to this is, they WON'T!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 9:07 am

rattpoison wrote:
manny wrote:

Well RP I would never deny I am a snob and musicial elitists, and like I said I am a fan of the Hollies but I think in terms of impact alone then The New York Dolls who never made a commerical dent made a bigger impact then The Hollies.

There are lots and lots of artists outside of metal like Nick Lowe, The Dicators, and many more who will never get in, the whole voting block of Rock N Roll Hall of Fame seems to be made up of clueless aging hippies.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 9:10 am

mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Integrity about what?

Are you saying that Abba are "worthy" to be in a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Kiss isn't? If not, what's your point?

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:08 am

ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Integrity about what?

Are you saying that Abba are "worthy" to be in a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Kiss isn't? If not, what's your point?
i'm saying i dislike Kiss & give a cat's poo about the hall of fame.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 am

mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Integrity about what?

i'm saying i dislike Kiss & give a cat's poo about the hall of fame.

OK. Ha!

You know when I was typing my reply to you I thought to myself, "why do I even care?"

Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 4:16 pm

kmorg wrote:
ABBA is probably the most influental band of all of those, So if they're gonna include pop music, as they've done many times before, then ABBA is an obvious choice.

Glad to see that KISS is finally nominated.

Thank you. ABBA rules, people, get over it!

Butt yeah, if KISS doesn't make it in this year, it'd be the final nail in the RRHoF coffin as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 4:37 pm

MetalFRO wrote:
kmorg wrote:
ABBA is probably the most influental band of all of those, So if they're gonna include pop music, as they've done many times before, then ABBA is an obvious choice.

Glad to see that KISS is finally nominated.

Thank you. ABBA rules, people, get over it!

Butt yeah, if KISS doesn't make it in this year, it'd be the final nail in the RRHoF coffin as far as I'm concerned.

well sir, KISS did not make, you can go ahead pound the final nail in.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 6:27 pm

F*ck ABBA. Disco blows dogs for quarters.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 8:19 am

"winners" announced...... GnR does not belong!!!!!!!!! O well, we know the hall of shame members are selected by elites that don;t get it:

The Beastie Boys, Donovan, Guns N' Roses, the late Laura Nyro, Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Small Faces/The Faces are the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 2012 inductees. The 27th induction ceremony will take place April 14 in Cleveland and premiere on HBO in early May. Tickets go on sale Dec. 16. Late guitarist Freddie King will be honored as an early influence, and the late producer/manager Don Kirshner will receive the Ahmet Ertegun (non-performer) award. Awards for musical excellence will go to engineer/producers Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd and Glyn Johns.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:13 am

Wow they finaly give Tom Dowd a nod. He deserves recognition from somebody !

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:14 am

Bob Ezrin should also get a nod, he has produced a few bands that are in that hall Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, etc
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:15 am

manny wrote:
Bob Ezrin should also get a nod, he has produced a few bands that are in that hall Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, etc

yeppers

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Classic Rock Magazine is reporting this...

Quote :

All five members of the classic Guns N’ Roses line-up are now expected to turn up for the band’s induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland on April 14.

Vocalist Axl Rose will be joined on stage by guitarists Slash and Izzy Stradlin, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steven Adler – the quintet who recorded the iconic Appetite For Destruction album.

In addition, guitarist Gilby Clarke, drummer Matt Sorum and keyboard player Dizzy Reed are to be inducted on the night.

However, right now it’s not known if the various members will put aside their differences and actually play together on the night.

Talking to Billboard, Reed says: “Honestly, we haven’t spoken about it. I don’t know when or why or how to bring it up. It’s not an every day sort of thing. So we haven’t really talked about it – but I’m sure we’ll have to at some point.”

I'd like to know where they're getting this info from. All members are expected to show up, yet Dizzy Reed, who is still in the current line-up, claims they haven't talked about it? Hmmmm.

It will certainly be interesting and a high-lite of the evening when and if it happens, but I'm still not holding my beath.

Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:54 am

Rofl LL Cool J in the rock and roll hall of fame. The people who vote do know he raps right? I've never been a KISS fan but they definitely deserve entrance.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 1:45 am

Rap gets rolled in with pop which has been combined with rock in the eyes of the Hall of Fame. It's essentially the "not country, not classical, not jazz" hall of fame. Blues artists get inducted with good reason, there wouldn't be rock n roll without them.

Does any of this matter at all? No, it's a tourist attraction trying to get vacationers to visit, no more, no less.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 9:51 am

Quote :
According to Rolling Stone, GREEN DAY will deliver GUNS N' ROSES' induction speech when the legendary California rockers are inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame on April 14 in Cleveland, Ohio.

Green Day?!?

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 12:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
According to Rolling Stone, GREEN DAY will deliver GUNS N' ROSES' induction speech when the legendary California rockers are inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame on April 14 in Cleveland, Ohio.

Green Day?!?

I would be willing to bet they are huge GNR fans.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Ugh. I hate GD, that pop punk sound is crap to my ears.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 12:48 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Green Day?!?

I would be willing to bet they are huge GNR fans.

I'd hope so. Just seems like an odd choice to me. Someone more "rock n roll" than punk would seem like a better choice, like Joe Perry and Steven Tyler. Even Lars Ulrich. He used to swing from Axl's nutsack all the time back in the day.

Ah well. "What ev", as the kids say.

Reports are that Slash, Duff, Matt and Steven will all be in attendance for the ceremony. No word if any will perform. Izzy is a definate "no" and Axl has not responded either way.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 12:52 pm

And if he did respond it would make no sense.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 4:06 pm

S.D. wrote:

Does any of this matter at all? No, it's a tourist attraction trying to get vacationers to visit, no more, no less.

That's my main problem with that so called Hall of Fame: They are a tourist attraction but are so USA-centric it's uninteresting. I don't even know half of the people in this Hall of Fame: What's "Sam & Dave"? Who is Ruth Brown? Who are Martha & The Vandellas? Little Willie John? Sounds more like an undersized pornstar to me. The Flamingos? The Dells? Who are those guys?
Those bands and musicians never made any impact outside of the USA and while i guess they were somehow important to north american music, i couldn't care less about them.
On the same side i wonder where are Deep Purple, where is Iron Maiden, where is Rush, Judas Priest, Dire Straits? And if it's really an all encompassing Hall of Fame, they also should include some asian rock/blues artists (there are none so far!) and of course more european musicians (like Adriano Celentano, he sold over 150 million records and is the biggest italian rock star of all time).

And that makes it a joke. They can include all kinds of music as "Rock & Roll" long has lost it's meaning and i can understand that certain Rap, Hip Hop, Pop or whatever kind of Genre artists do belong in there, but it's way too centered on north american music.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 5:09 pm

While I agree that those groups deserve to be in and it is mostly a joke, those groups you listed had huge impacts on rock in the U.S.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees
Page 4 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next