Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees

Go down 
+71
Required Fields
muckie
assault_attack
MoonChild
the sentinel
Vexer6
Glower
Sword Of The Heretic
stormspell
Metal Misfit
iamrockerfun
bassman
MetallicSeminarian
bass63
ElectricEye93
Short-Fuse
Thelemech
journeyman
QuothTheRaven
Tur-Thalion
corplhicks
akeldama
Boris2008
Hadley
SpectreFate
Shawn Of Fire
chewie
nevermore
messiaen77
Orion Crystal Ice
ZombieHavoc
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
jstate
Red Kitty
Grimmo
stpatrik
Wurthless
exact33
Sutekh
ShadowAngel
Dark Horseman
The_Jayroh
James B.
MetalFRO
snooloui
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
sheets
spiritoradio
Leatherface
mr.electric39
rattpoison
Addy
metalinmyveins
Troublezone
Schbopo
mc666
Svengo
Fat Freddy
kmorg
Mglaffas81
scottmitchell74
manny
DeathCult
T-Roy
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Dave the Boss
thejokeriv
75 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 4:40 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Deep Purple snubbed again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They along with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath helped create an entire genre of music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy F**** are these son of ******* tone deaf!!!!!! Unaware of rock history!!!!!!!!

How about Smoke on the ******* Water!!!!! The first riff everybody learns to play!!!!!

Ritchie Blackmore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian Gillan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Ok I am done with my rant)

Eddie?

Laughing very hard

UFO??? What about UFO??????

Granted I agree with Trunk on that one.... The RNR Hall of SHAME is a joke - Deep Purple SHOULD be in. Someone posted that even Geddy Lee didn't understand how they got in and Deep Purple aren't in.

O well. we are know it's a joke and the people making the decisions don't have a clue especially when they think it's more important to put Public Enemy in that Deep Purple.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 4:44 pm

I wonder if part of the Deep Purple rejection is knowing that Ritchie Blackmore won't participate? I'm sure that a portion of the nomination committe is wheter the inductees will particiapte in the festivities.

GnR got the nod with everyone knowing that one of 2 things would happen. A reunion or big drama. They got big drama and recognition. Win-win. Maybe not as big as a reunion, but publicity nonetheless.

Rush and Heart are still pretty relevent and marketable in 2013. Can the same be said for a Ritchie-less DP?

I don't know the answer. I'm just throwing this out there to turn this boat around and distract eveyone from the 2 Shawns dick-swinging.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 4:45 pm

Quote :
a Ritchie-less DP?

That sounds painful. Jenna Jameson would up for it though.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 4:58 pm

S.D. wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Well at least rocker Donna Summer and Public Enemy made it finally! I mean, how were they not already inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
\'arry \'eadbanger

This whole "anti-Disco/anti-Rap/anti-R&B" argument is getting really tired. Pop & Rock are intrinsically linked in the mind of general public and that is never going to change.

I wonder how long it will be before they start inducting country artists into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? In the minds of the general public, rock and country are intrinsically linked as well. Just take a look at all those singing shows on TV right now.

I actually like Donna Summer and Public Enemy. I'm not a big fan of either style in general, but I do like some from both. "I Feel Love" is a darned sexy song! I really don't care who is inducted, but you gotta admit, it sounds funny that artists like Donna Summer and 80's rapper Public Enemy being inducted into the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame before bands like Deep Purple.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Quote :
I wonder how long it will be before they start inducting country artists into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

I think a few of the "early pioneers" of country are in there already like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams, but yea, I know what you mean. Taylor Swift probably has her spot reserved already. All members of KISS (past & present) will be in their grave before they get in.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 5:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I wonder if part of the Deep Purple rejection is knowing that Ritchie Blackmore won't participate? I'm sure that a portion of the nomination committe is wheter the inductees will particiapte in the festivities.

GnR got the nod with everyone knowing that one of 2 things would happen. A reunion or big drama. They got big drama and recognition. Win-win. Maybe not as big as a reunion, but publicity nonetheless.

Rush and Heart are still pretty relevent and marketable in 2013. Can the same be said for a Ritchie-less DP?

I don't know the answer. I'm just throwing this out there to turn this boat around and distract eveyone from the 2 Shawns dick-swinging.

I am sure Deep Purple's less then higher profile in the States has a lot to do with the reason they overlooked. The band has not had a huge hit in some time and have mostly focused their attention in Europe and Japan, where they can sell out huge venues.

While Deep Purple have made some quality albums with Steve Morse, the guys in Rolling Stone magazine don't give a rat's ass, they rather kiss up to Vampire Weekend ( sh!t band) then old dinosaurs like Deep Purple.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 7:12 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
The RNR Hall of SHAME is a joke

Yet, you guys still give them press. No demand - No supply.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
Further helping to underscore the open-mindedness that hard rock fans are universally known for.

Must be having a bad day. You're being especially dick-y today.

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Ha ha. Hee hee. Ho ho. Look at the silly little Rock Fans whining and crying. I'm so glad I'm a Jazz fan and above such silliness.

It was meant to be a joke, hence the smiley.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 10:03 pm

S.D. wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
Further helping to underscore the open-mindedness that hard rock fans are universally known for.

Must be having a bad day. You're being especially dick-y today.

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Ha ha. Hee hee. Ho ho. Look at the silly little Rock Fans whining and crying. I'm so glad I'm a Jazz fan and above such silliness.

It was meant to be a joke, hence the smiley.

Why did you edit your response? Was it a little too dick-y? Laughing <-------smiley face
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 10:19 pm

If it was called The Popular Music Hall Of Fame, somebody's arguement might stand on solid ground.

I don't get it, but also lose no sleep over it.

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 2:20 am

The general public isn't as discerning as we are about categorization, if you ever watched any award shows from the past 35 years you'll see all kinds of different musicians lumped under the term "Rock 'N' Roll". Look at how many times the Grammy's have labeled bands incorrectly.

But a good portion of the general public could care less about correct genres, so you'll hear the terms "Pop" and "Rock" applied to basically the same artists depending on who is speaking. I think each year they try and induct artists representing various styles that all fit under the generic umbrella term "Rock 'N' Roll" (in their case that includes basically everything except Country, Classical and Jazz). So this year they picked a progressive rock band (Rush), a rock band (Heart), a songwriter/composer (Randy Newman), a rap group (Public Enemy), a dance/disco artist (Donna Summer), a blues artist (Albert King), a record producer/club owner (Lou Adler) and an arranger/producer (Quincy Jones). They can't afford to have 20 different "Hall Of Fames" for popular music, so they are casting a very wide net.

I'm just glad RUSH and HEART got in, two bands that I admire and believe deserve whatever kind of recognition they get.

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 7:41 am

Im glad Heart is getting in, not a fan of Rush but what irks me is Joan Jett was snubbed. IMO she's the Female Chuck Berry of Rock!
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 8:05 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 19976

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 8:51 am

IMO all the artist that have been inducted into the Hall of Fame this time around deserve to be in their, I have not always felt that way.

IMO Dave Clark Five may have written a few decent singles but there influence has been miniscule. Where Deep Purple have been a huge influence, even if the sales of their albums have not reflected that since 1991.

The fact that bands such as Metallica, Guns n Roses and Rush have all name checked them as influence speaks volumes IMO of why they should be have been in the Hall, I just don't understand what makes one band eligable and another one not.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 am

Rolling Stone: So, congratulations. How did you hear the news?

Geddy Lee: My manager called. Nothing remarkable. No great anecdote or anything. He called and said we were inducted and I said, "That's very nice."

Rolling Stone: Did it surprise you at all?

Geddy Lee: A little bit, yeah. I was surprised we got in first time out there. It took us so long to even get on the ballot, and there were other groups like Deep Purple and Procol Harum, who I respect greatly and I assumed would be voted in as well.

Rolling Stone: Does any part of you have mixed emotions since it took so long?

Geddy Lee: No. My emotions are very simple and always have been about the Hall of Fame. It's something that I had absolutely nothing to do with and had no control over, so I never thought much about it, to be frank. But I appreciated how much it meant to our fan base. It really did mean a lot to them. It was kind of a cause they championed and I appreciated their feelings but beyond that, I really did not concern myself with it.

Rolling Stone: You're definitely going to the ceremony, right?

Geddy Lee: Oh yeah, we're gonna be there. I'm not saying I'm not proud to be inducted, because that would be wrong. I think it's a terrific honor and we'll show up smiling.

Rolling Stone: I imagine you're going to perform, too.

Geddy Lee: I don't know what the deal is. I assume we will. I think it's a tradition, but I haven't heard any details, to be frank. I assume it's a tradition that the artists play a song or two, so I assume that's what we'll do.

Rolling Stone: This also means people can finally stop asking you about it in every interview.

Geddy Lee: That's right. [Laughs] It also made my mom very happy, so that's worth it.

Rolling Stone: I'm sure some small percentage of your fan base will say, "They should protest the whole thing by staying home."

Geddy Lee: I never got too hot and bothered about the subject, and I don't think that's a very gracious way to respond to an honor.

Rolling Stone: Axl Rose stayed home last year, and the Sex Pistols refused to come, too.

Geddy Lee: We're nice Canadian boys. We wouldn't do that.

Rolling Stone: It's a pretty eclectic lineup this year. Are you fans of the other inductees?

Geddy Lee: I certainly have worked with Heart and I know them well. I'm very happy for them. I have great respect for Albert King and for Randy Newman. I don't know the music of Public Enemy very well, but I know they have a very strong fan base. They've certainly played a role in the development of that style of music for sure, so it's a nice group.

To be frank, I am disappointed that Deep Purple is not included in that group. Certainly Heart and Rush would not sound the way we sound without Deep Purple.

Rolling Stone: I'm sure they'll get in soon.

Geddy Lee: Yeah, I hope so.

Rolling Stone: Are you thinking about doing anything to honor the 40th anniversary of the band that's coming up?

Geddy Lee: Well, certainly any time an important anniversary pops up, the schedule-makers and managers are all over it. But right now, our concern is to continue touring Clockwork Angels and then get a holiday after that. Then we'll see what's left and how much gas we have in the tank before I would even think about an anniversary tour.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 9:24 am

Just for the record, Axl didn't show up because his Mom was using the car that night and the bus fare was too pricey.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 9:35 am

Quote :
I just don't understand what makes one band eligable and another one not.

Personal choice. Jann Wenner of Rollingstone has a personal gripe against KISS. As long as he's on the Board of Directors at the hall, they'll never get in.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 am

manny wrote:

Rolling Stone: Did it surprise you at all?

Geddy Lee: A little bit, yeah. I was surprised we got in first time out there. It took us so long to even get on the ballot, and there were other groups like Deep Purple and Procol Harum, who I respect greatly and I assumed would be voted in as well.

Geddy Lee: I certainly have worked with Heart and I know them well. I'm very happy for them. I have great respect for Albert King and for Randy Newman. I don't know the music of Public Enemy very well, but I know they have a very strong fan base. They've certainly played a role in the development of that style of music for sure, so it's a nice group.

To be frank, I am disappointed that Deep Purple is not included in that group. Certainly Heart and Rush would not sound the way we sound without Deep Purple.

Rolling Stone: I'm sure they'll get in soon.

Geddy Lee: Yeah, I hope so.

Geddy gets the dig in to RNR HoS for the Purple dis! Love it!!!!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:11 am

Quote :
they try and induct artists representing various styles that all fit under the generic umbrella term "Rock 'N' Roll"

Which is why it should be no surprise DP didn't get in and Rush did. They both were fighting over that one slot. Never thought for a second that both would get in the same year. Likewise with Joan Jett and Heart. Looking at the nominees it was pretty clear who was falling into the either/or selections.

Personally I wish PE got left out so they could get angry about it and come up with some of their former fire again. And I never really considered Donna Summer a disco artist. To me that sold her way short. For myself, she was s pop/soul/R&B package that had enough disco in the mix to get labeled with it at a time that sold.

And by typing all that I've given the HOF more credence/consideration than they deserve. Feel that way about all HOFs actually.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 12:14 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
I just don't understand what makes one band eligable and another one not.

Personal choice. Jann Wenner of Rollingstone has a personal gripe against KISS. As long as he's on the Board of Directors at the hall, they'll never get in.

Well this confirms what Shawn of Fire has said, a popularity contest, critics darlings. Amazing back in the 70's, the bands they (Rolling Stone) are now praising, such as Rush, Heart, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin just to name a few, who are now in the Hall, where the very same bands they called stupid, untalented, etc have all have become Rolling Stone magazine's critically praised artist.

It only took them 30 years to acknowlege this bands, hell it was not til last year that Rush had even got a feature story in Rolling Stone, and around the time of the Black Ice album that AC/DC even made it to the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 12:19 pm

Rolling Stone is for over-educated musical snobs. The kind of people who like a band cause it's cool and/or hip and the band holds similar politcal views as they do. Has nothin to do with music as most music fans feel.

Case in point, go to a concert by a band that RS covers and you'll see an audience full of people talking or interupting others enjoyment with smart phones in the air so they can social network that they were there. What a joke.

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Is Rolling Stone even a music magazine anymore? Every time I pass it by in the grocery store, it looks like they're screeching about some political cause.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 1:18 pm

James B. wrote:
Case in point, go to a concert by a band that RS covers and you'll see an audience full of people talking or interupting others enjoyment with smart phones in the air so they can social network that they were there. What a joke.

I've seen that at Metal shows...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:

I've seen that at Metal shows...

Yea, I wouldn't say it's exclusive to any one genre/type/style of music. People are just more self-involved than ever and feel the need to let everyone know of their every movement.

4 d-bags standing in front of me at The Sword show last month weren't even watching the band, but I'm sure all their friends knew they were there.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 8:57 am

Its a shame that Rolling Stone is still around while Sounds (which was kind of like the British equivalent to RS) is long gone. Heck, Sounds put Maiden on the cover BEFORE the first album came out, can you see RS doing that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees
Page 8 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next