Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees

Go down 
+71
Required Fields
muckie
assault_attack
MoonChild
the sentinel
Vexer6
Glower
Sword Of The Heretic
stormspell
Metal Misfit
iamrockerfun
bassman
MetallicSeminarian
bass63
ElectricEye93
Short-Fuse
Thelemech
journeyman
QuothTheRaven
Tur-Thalion
corplhicks
akeldama
Boris2008
Hadley
SpectreFate
Shawn Of Fire
chewie
nevermore
messiaen77
Orion Crystal Ice
ZombieHavoc
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
jstate
Red Kitty
Grimmo
stpatrik
Wurthless
exact33
Sutekh
ShadowAngel
Dark Horseman
The_Jayroh
James B.
MetalFRO
snooloui
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
sheets
spiritoradio
Leatherface
mr.electric39
rattpoison
Addy
metalinmyveins
Troublezone
Schbopo
mc666
Svengo
Fat Freddy
kmorg
Mglaffas81
scottmitchell74
manny
DeathCult
T-Roy
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Dave the Boss
thejokeriv
75 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 12:21 pm

Just re-read the new list and three things struck me....

Only five of those acts are getting in. I mean I get not wanting to dilute the thing by letting in everyone, but man does it seem like if you're going for an all-inclusive hall you should let in more than five a year. Sadly I'm guessing Deep Purple get screwed.

Has it really been 25 years since PE and NWA's debuts! Where does all the time go.

Also funny that the fans ballot counts as only one of 600. Shows the ludicrous nature of the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Never paid much attention to this. But, I think it would be cool to see Public Enemy get the respect. Also, I would love to see Chuck D get up on a national stage and throw out some righteous rage in front of all the stuffed suits [although, he would probably be repressed from doing so...].
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 12:48 pm

I would love to see Chuck D circa 1988 being "louder than a bomb" but I believe he has really mellowed with age.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 pm

jstate wrote:
I would love to see Chuck D circa 1988 being "louder than a bomb" but I believe he has really mellowed with age.

I don't know if he's mellower as a person or on stage and all that, but I don't think his muse-sick or his mess age have gotten any mellower. I still dig on the music PE puts out. And they have two albums coming out the same day in November...I am curious to hear them. According to the descruiptions everyone from Henry Rollins to Ziggy Marley to Brother Ali to Cormega contribute. Should be interesting at least.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 1:00 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Never paid much attention to this. But, I think it would be cool to see Public Enemy get the respect. Also, I would love to see Chuck D get up on a national stage and throw out some righteous rage in front of all the stuffed suits [although, he would probably be repressed from doing so...].

It would be worth it to see Flava Flav's acceptance speech, bringing a certain quiet reserve and dignity to the evening.

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Flavor-flav

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 1:49 pm

There is no way that both Rush and Deep Purple will be inducted the same year, if we are lucky one of them will be selected...but there is also a distinct possibility that neither will get in.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 1:50 pm

S.D. wrote:
There is no way that both Rush and Deep Purple will be inducted the same year, if we are lucky one of them will be selected...but there is also a distinct possibility that neither will get in.

I will guess Rush gets in, hell even those tools in Rolling Stone did a big feature on them a few years ago
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 2:11 pm

manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I will guess Rush gets in, hell even those tools in Rolling Stone did a big feature on them a few years ago

Yea, I could see Rush making the cut. They're still riding a wave of popularity and (mostly) original members after 30+ years. They deserve a lifetime achievent award for that alone. The fan vote would be huge.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 2:14 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Yea, I could see Rush making the cut. They're still riding a wave of popularity and (mostly) original members after 30+ years. They deserve a lifetime achievent award for that alone. The fan vote would be huge.

I voted for Deep Purple just now, but Rush is currently in the lead (with Deep Purple in second place, at least when I voted)

I love Rush, but Deep Purple meant and still does mean the world to me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 2:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Most people don't even remember Rush had a different drummer on their first album, the current lineup has been in place for 38 years.

I just voted, you can select up to 5 artists. I voted for Rush, Deep Purple, Heart, Albert King and Procol Harum.

So far Rush is far out in front, with Deep Purple and Heart coming in 2nd and 3rd in the voting.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm going with Donna Summer, Rush, Deep Purple, Joan Jett & Blackhearts, and Public Enemy.

And Heart really should be on my ballot too.

As much as I appreciate them recognizing 80's rap I just can't give my vote to NWA. As revolutionary as Straight Outta Compton was I personally always felt it's "influence" ultimately destroyed what I thought made rap great. But watch they'll probably get in over PE.

I do see Rush making it in.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Yes, they probably will, with many 'harumph!'s from the sophisticated crowd running things.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 10:07 am

They are sheep. So it'll be all "Rush is the voice of a generation" and "Tom Sawyer is one of rock's greatest recordings". Too be honest this list of nominees is the first I've seen that didn't look like the usual music snobs put it together.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 2:18 pm

I voted for Deep Purple, Public Enemy, Rush, Heart and Albert King.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 pm

rap isn't ROCK N ROLL ..... Rush has way more in common with Chuck Berry than NWA...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 12:38 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:

rap isn't ROCK N ROLL ..... Rush has way more in common with Chuck Berry than NWA...

A more appropriate name would the "The Popular Music Hall of Fame" because they cover blues, rock, funk, R&B, rap, dance, etc.

They are just using "Rock 'N' Roll" as an umbrella term to cover popular music from the 50s to the present.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 12:45 pm

S.D. wrote:

A more appropriate name would the "The Popular Music Hall of Fame" because they cover blues, rock, funk, R&B, rap, dance, etc.

Yeah I would agree with that... it's just one of those things where a group of people highjack a term and redefine it for their own use.

Then they don't put people in who truly represent what the term means in the first place....

Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Id half disagree about NWA and Chuck Berry in the fact that they both were among the first of their kind to do the music that they do.
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Chuck Berry IS Rock 'N' Roll as far as I'm concerned...but Chuck also didn't just appear out of the blue, he was very influenced by the jump blues of Louis Jordan and the urban blues of T-Bone Walker.

You can trace the genesis of Rap all the way back to 1971 with Gil Scott-Heron's "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised".

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 1:21 pm

kinda/sorta like the term "southern rock"

that is where rock n roll originated...in the south

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 pm

James B. wrote:
kinda/sorta like the term "southern rock"

that is where rock n roll originated...in the south

I would say the South and Chicago. The migration of blues & jazz artists to Chicago in the 30s played a part was well. Of course St. Louis and Memphis were also big early Rock 'N' Roll towns.

Back to top Go down
messiaen77
Metal novice
Metal novice
messiaen77

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 3:45 pm

I kind of think Donna Summer has a good shot since she recently died. Industry folks go for that kind of thing. I don't put a lot of stock in this kind of thing, but I still voted: Deep Purple, Rush, Kraftwerk, Public Enemy, and Joan Jett & the Blackhearts.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:16 pm

I went and voted too. Deep Purple, Rush, Heart, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts and N.W.A. is who I voted for.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 10:33 am

S.D. wrote:
Chuck Berry IS Rock 'N' Roll as far as I'm concerned...but Chuck also didn't just appear out of the blue, he was very influenced by the jump blues of Louis Jordan and the urban blues of T-Bone Walker.

You can trace the genesis of Rap all the way back to 1971 with Gil Scott-Heron's "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised".

Alot of the artists from that era were heavily influenced by the blues, good example is Elvis, and Jerry Lee Lewis, just listen to the man play that piana and tell me its not blues influenced heh

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 10:37 am

Oh I also voted, Deep Purple, Heart, Joan Jett & Blackhearts, Rush and Albert King but of those listed I am really hoping for Joan Jett to get inducted
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees   The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Joke known as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annouce nominees
Page 6 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next