Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread   The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:46 pm

Post your favorite Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox and we'll debate/analyze it (and hurt our brains at the same time Very Happy ).

I'll start:

Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be 'no'?

A girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her
Grandmother is dead, the girl was never born. If she were never born,
she never killed her grandmother.

1. A Cretan sails to Greece and says to some Greek men who are
    standing upon the shore: "All Cretans are liars." Did he speak the
    truth, or did he lie?
  2. A week later, the Cretan sailed to Greece again and said: "All
    Cretans are liars and all I say is the truth." Although the Greeks on
    the shore weren't aware of what he had said the first time, they were
    truly puzzled.

If someone says "I always lie", are they telling the truth? Or are they lying?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread   The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 10:12 am

Quote :

If we were to apply the theory of disrupting the space/time continuum as proposed by Dr. Emmett Brown, the girl would eventually fade from existance shortly after she killed her grandmother, possibly while playing lead guitar at a high school dance.

However, if the grandmother was aware of the plot to kill her, she could steal the time machine (which could be fashioned from a DeLorean), go forward into the future from the past and makes sure that her daughter never gives birth to the grandmother's would-be killer. This, however, could also have a devestating effect on future events. If the mother's other child, John Connor, sees the effects of time-travel and technology in general, he could have a life-long hatred of computers and machinery, eventually growing up to lead a revolution against our robot overlords.

I think the whole thing is a bad idea.

PostSubject: Re: The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread   The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 11:13 am

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Am I Evil?
Metal student
Metal student
Am I Evil?

Number of posts : 239

PostSubject: Re: The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread   The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 11:23 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

If we were to apply the theory of disrupting the space/time continuum as proposed by Dr. Emmett Brown, the girl would eventually fade from existance shortly after she killed her grandmother, possibly while playing lead guitar at a high school dance.

However, if the grandmother was aware of the plot to kill her, she could steal the time machine (which could be fashioned from a DeLorean), go forward into the future from the past and makes sure that her daughter never gives birth to the grandmother's would-be killer. This, however, could also have a devestating effect on future events. If the mother's other child, John Connor, sees the effects of time-travel and technology in general, he could have a life-long hatred of computers and machinery, eventually growing up to lead a revolution against our robot overlords.

I think the whole thing is a bad idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQiJdf-ebIs
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread   The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 11:53 am

The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread Relativity
Back to top Go down
Am I Evil?
Metal student
Metal student
Am I Evil?

Number of posts : 239

PostSubject: Re: The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread   The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 12:07 pm

xyz wrote:
The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread Relativity
was there last week,Nice place
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread   The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 12:44 pm

Nice Avatar Quiettype. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread   The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Sophism/Optical Illusion/Paradox Thread
Page 1 of 1