Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up

Go down 
+7
Neuropete
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
manny
Troublezone
akeldama
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Empty
PostSubject: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 2:09 am

Queen will no longer rock you - at least not with Paul Rodgers.
With a summer reunion tour with Bad Company looming, the singer tells Billboard.com that the Queen + Paul Rodgers collaboration is, in effect, over, and without animosity. "At this point we're gonna sit back from this," Rodgers says. "My arrangement with (Queen's Brian May and Roger Taylor) was similar to my arrangement with Jimmy (Page) in The Firm in that it was never meant to be a permanent arrangement.

"I think we made a huge success of it, actually. We did two world tours and a couple of live recordings, and...made a studio album (2008's commercially disappointing 'The Cosmos Rocks') which was pretty historical for (Queen's Brian May and Roger Taylor) because they hadn't really gone in the studio with anybody and recorded something like that for a very long time. So it was quite an achievement, I think."
Rodgers does not rule out the possibility of working together again, however. "It's kind of an open book, really. If they approach me to do something for charity, for instance, or something like that...I'd be very much into doing that, for sure."
The Queen + Paul Rodgers project in late 2004, when they joined forces for a set at the inaugural U.K. Music Hall of Fame Awards. They subsequently toured Europe and Japan in 2005 - resulting in the first live album and DVD, "Return Of The Champions" - and North America in 2006. The group will release another concert album and DVD, "Live In Kharkov," on June 16, which was recorded at a televised Sept. 12 performance in the Ukraine to support "The Cosmos Rocks."
Rodgers says he leaves the collaboration with nothing but good memories and the feeling of a job well done.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 4:00 am

He wasn't right for them anyway.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 6:05 am

I am not surprised, but I also think its a shame.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 7:57 am

That combination just didn't work IMO. I'd rather see Bad Company put out a new studio album than hear anything else from this team.

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 10:26 am

I agree with Manny, I expected it, but view it more as an opportunity lost.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 10:34 am

It always seemed like an odd combo to me anyway.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 10:56 am

I would've liked to see them explore more, I think it would've been intereting. Was pretty sure the split was inevitable though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 11:33 am

To me, the truth is that you can never have anyone replace Freddy Mercury. It just is not possible. I like Paul Rodgers, but even the best singer in the world will not have the persona that Freddy Mercury had. Don't get me wrong...the remaining members are phenomenal musicians and artists. The chemistry is just not there. I think Queen is better off just releasing instrumental albums from now on.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 11:43 am

Or get another singer but drop the Queen moniker.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Neuropete wrote:
To me, the truth is that you can never have anyone replace Freddy Mercury. It just is not possible. I like Paul Rodgers, but even the best singer in the world will not have the persona that Freddy Mercury had. Don't get me wrong...the remaining members are phenomenal musicians and artists. The chemistry is just not there. I think Queen is better off just releasing instrumental albums from now on.

That was a tough spot to be in for both Queen and Paul. If the rest of the band got a Freddy Mercury-clone, they woulda been torn up by the fans and critics saying how dare they try to replace a legend. So they go with a known name, legendary in his own right although polar opposite of Freddy, and fans still don't like it. It was really a no win situation.

I do wonder, however, if the studio album had been more successful, if this collaboration would have carried on.

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:27 pm

I maybe would have bought a Rodgers-led studio album, even though me and Queen never clicked.

I guess the world will never know.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:38 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I maybe would have bought a Rodgers-led studio album, even though me and Queen never clicked.

I guess the world will never know.

They did release a studio album...

Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up 200px-Queen_The_Cosmos_Rocks_Album_Cover

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:39 pm

Well holy crap, I didn't know that. I thought they just were doing the tour thing. Is the album any good?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:40 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Well holy crap, I didn't know that. I thought they just were doing the tour thing. Is the album any good?

Dunno myself cuz I have never heard it but Detuned wrote it up hereabouts a while back:

http://www.heartofmetal.net/the-hurting-words-f7/queen-paul-rodgers-the-cosmos-rocks-review-t7726.htm?highlight=queen

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Hmmm...sounds interesting. I'll buy it when I see it for a couple of bucks used. Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Unfortunately I found it pretty boring. They just didn't mesh well. Go listen to samples, i'm curious what you think.

Last edited by TheNazgul on Thu May 14, 2009 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:43 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

Don't know. I never heard it myself, but I think most reviews were pretty tepid. I had the live cd they put out. Scored a free copy from work. I did nothing for me and I sold it on ebay. I'm a casual Queen fan, a mediocre fan of Paul at best, and generally not a fan of live albums. That cd never stood a chance with me.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:48 pm

To me this was an odd pairing. It's not a surprise (at least to me) that this was a short lived project.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 1:04 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Unfortunately I found it pretty boring. They just didn't mess well. Go listen to samples, i'm curious what you think.

"Still Burning" is the only sample I cared for. I like Rodgers voice over blues, not whatever that is that Queen plays.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 1:35 pm

I wrote up a review of it awhile back:

http://www.heartofmetal.net/the-hurting-words-f7/queen-paul-rodgers-the-cosmos-rocks-review-t7726.htm
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 2:14 pm

I wasn't surprised either, I've always been a Paul Rodgers fan when he was in Free, not much else. Although, A Tribute To Muddy Waters was good.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 2:26 pm

I was disappointed in the studio album.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 2:45 pm

i was at their Q+PR and i'm happy. PR is crap in voice with 'Queen'. it's good.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 4:42 pm

Quote :
surprised
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 4:55 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Quote :
surprised

I think what he's trying to say that he's seen Queen with Paul Rodgers and didn't care for them, also that Paul's voice is not a good fit for Queen, so this break up is a good thing.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up   Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Queen + Paul Rodgers Split Up
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next