Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cliff Burton an REM fan?

Go down 
+11
James B.
Troublezone
Leatherface
sam
Schbopo
GrandNational
mc666
Fat Freddy
Stender
manny
fingers
15 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Cliff Burton an REM fan? Empty
PostSubject: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:48 pm

I've been hearing rumours that he was a big fan of REM. Why not they are a brilliant band one of my favourite non metal bands.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:49 pm

Cliff Burton listened to everything from Punk to Classic Rock to what was than known as college rock.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:52 pm

manny wrote:
Cliff Burton listened to everything from Punk to Classic Rock to what was than known as college rock.

Yeah he was big into reggae too. Cliff was definately the most openminded metallica member.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if he was an R.E.M. fan. The boy had wide ranging tastes.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 9:49 pm

big deal, i listen to non metal bands too. what's the shock here supposed to be?

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 9:57 pm

mc666 wrote:
big deal, i listen to non metal bands too. what's the shock here supposed to be?

My sentiments exactly. I think most brilliant musicians have a broad taste in music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:15 pm

I love Opeth and Hall & Oates...it's all about variety. Very Happy

Speaking of Opeth, I saw in Classic Rock mag (I think) that Michael Akerfeldt has Shania Twain on his iPod.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:17 pm

REM rules.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:27 pm

I think most on this board have a wide variety of music they enjoy.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:31 pm

good for him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:34 pm

I don't see what the big deal is either, if you take a glance at my music collection I listen to everything from Madonna to Venom.

http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/manny777/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:36 pm

I don't care how much I like a band, it gets boring listening to ONE kind of music all the time...
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 12:23 am

mc666 wrote:

No big deal at all. Just surprising he knew of them that's all I suspect REM weren't very well known in the early/mid 80s
but I could be wrong
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18909

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:22 am

I had an interview with Cliff in Cream's Thrash Metal that I bought in 89 or 90 and he said in the interview that he liked REM.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:25 am

"I don't see what the big deal is either, if you take a glance at my music collection I listen to everything from Madonna to Venom."

What Madonna songs do you like manny?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 9:09 am

Troublezone wrote:
"I don't see what the big deal is either, if you take a glance at my music collection I listen to everything from Madonna to Venom."

Quite a few, 'Ray of Light', 'Rain', 'Secret' and many others
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 9:39 am

fingers wrote:
mc666 wrote:

No big deal at all. Just surprising he knew of them that's all I suspect REM weren't very well known in the early/mid 80s
but I could be wrong

R.E.M. were very well known in the indie/college rock underground (see, metal wasn't the only thing that was underground back then...hahaha) virtually from their inception. They didn't blow up huge till the late 80s. Then of course, just like in metal, the "old" R.E.M. fans accused'em of "selling out."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 9:50 am

what I want to know is if REM were Cliff Burton fans ?

that is a question !
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 3:06 am

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Quite a few, 'Ray of Light', 'Rain', 'Secret' and many others

Ray Of Light and Music are essential albums IMO, I also have the Immaculate Collection. That's good for all those hits like "Papa Don't Preach" and so on. I think that she did pretty well with Confessions On The Dance Floor as well. Laughing
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 3:07 am

Oh yeah, and who cares what people listen to?
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 2:36 pm

Cliff was a very big fan of R.E.M. In some of his last interviews during the Puppets tour, he mentioned R.E.M. on a pretty frequent basis. Cliff has also mentioned that he liked Peter Gabriel & Roxy Music. Supposedly Cliff really wanted the band to cover Lynyrd Skynyrd. I wonder if this would've come to fruition on the "Garage Days Re-revisited" album had Cliff not died?

I also remember reading an interview with Kirk stating how he had gotten in a car wreck one day in the Bay area, and Cliff went to go pick him up from the hospital. Kirk had sustained whiplash (Really...) from the accident, and on the drive home Cliff was jamming to the Eagles. He was not only pounding on the dashboard to the music, but kept on slamming on the brakes, which ended up being kind of irritating to Kirk at the time (though was seen as being funny all these years later).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 2:42 pm

Just imagining what the response would've been like if this had been posted on Blabbermouth:

"Doooo0000d! No f**kin WAY Cliff was an REM fan! He wasn't a POZER!"

Back to top Go down
/ELOHIYM
Metal novice
Metal novice
/ELOHIYM

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 9:46 pm

Is not bad if somebody likes some soft stuff or non metal o clasic rock I like Bjork, Daft Punk and Jamiroquai even Jeff Walker from Carcass is a fan of Bjork he even make a cover of Isobel... check the song

http://www.myspace.com/ingrindwetrust
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:38 am

Cliff was definitely the most musically diverse of the original Metallica lineup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cliff Burton an REM fan?   Cliff Burton an REM fan? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cliff Burton an REM fan?
Page 1 of 1