Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)

Go down 
+7
MetalGuy71
akeldama
MusicTilDeath
Wargod
rattpoison
stepcousin
manny
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 10:59 am

But really, John Mayall's band had more musicians in and out than Carmen Electra at a kegger.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 11:03 am

SpectreFate wrote:
But really, John Mayall's band had more musicians in and out than Carmen Electra at a kegger.

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 11:11 am

SpectreFate wrote:

Wasn't it a requirement for every British musician that played blues to do a stint with the Bluesbreakers at some point? They were the British version of London. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm guessing that you guys are familiar with Ten Years After? If anyone is looking for that missing link between John Mayall's Bluesbreakers...and Ted Nugent...look no further.

This is a pretty good single disc introduction:

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 C733600w19t

Any band that would release an album called "Stonedhenge" and have a song titled "50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain" is just fine with me.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:08 pm

detuned wrote:
I'm guessing that you guys are familiar with Ten Years After? If anyone is looking for that missing link between John Mayall's Bluesbreakers...and Ted Nugent...look no further.

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 C733600w19t

Any band that would release an album called "Stonedhenge" and have a song titled "50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain" is just fine with me.

Very Happy

Their first few albums were classic, my favorite being 'SSSSHHHH' , great band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:10 pm

Quote :
Their first few albums were classic, my favorite being 'SSSSHHHH' , great band.

It's ok, you can tell us your favorite. No need to be secretive about it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:30 pm

detuned wrote:

Very Happy

I've been outbid on this a few times on ebay. I'll get it someday.

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:45 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Amazon has a ton of used copies for sale, starting at around $4.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:51 pm

detuned wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Amazon has a ton of used copies for sale, starting at around $4.

Hmmmm, you don't say? If I didn't just place a big order yesterday, I'd add this. Poop.

Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 4:31 pm

I absolutely love FREE. Every member is top notch! Not only is Paul Rodgers an incredible vocalist and Paul Kossoff a highly underrated guitarist, but Andy Fraser wrote some of the best bass lines ever within an extremely unique style and Simon Kirke held it all together with tight and solid beats. Free indeed! Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 4:32 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
I absolutely love FREE. Every member is top notch! Not only is Paul Rodgers an incredible vocalist and Paul Kossoff a highly underrated guitarist, but Andy Fraser wrote some of the best bass lines ever within an extremely unique style and Simon Kirke held it all together with tight and solid beats. Free indeed! Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 604261

The bassline on the song 'Mr. Big' is so badass and thick sounding that Billy Sheenan and his gang of merrymen named their band after this song.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 7:59 pm

Here is a link to Free playing at the Isle of Wight, a concert that featured the mighty Doors, The Who, Jethro Tull and Jimi Hendrix, anyway here they are live and they held more then their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJnFv38z1rY
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:25 pm

I got Tons of Sobs in the mail today and I absolultely love it. I must've played it 4 or 5 times already. I love that early British blues. I'll be investing in some more Free albums for sure, but if I understand correctly, after their debut, they went for a more traditional rock sound and toned down the bluesier aspect. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 11:01 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I got Tons of Sobs in the mail today and I absolultely love it. I must've played it 4 or 5 times already. I love that early British blues. I'll be investing in some more Free albums for sure, but if I understand correctly, after their debut, they went for a more traditional rock sound and toned down the bluesier aspect. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

They did start going toward a more tradition rock sound, but thankfully they didnot abandoned their blues roots. Next album I would recommend Metalguy is 'Fire and Water'

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Free_-_Fire_And_Water_-_Front
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 11:43 pm

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

They did start going toward a more tradition rock sound, but thankfully they didnot abandoned their blues roots. Next album I would recommend Metalguy is 'Fire and Water'

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Free_-_Fire_And_Water_-_Front

Love it that i may, i think Fire & Water is a little overrated in the brill Free catalogue.......i've always put Highway, Tons Of Sobs and Free S/T ahead of it.......but that's just me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 11:46 pm

I like them all about equally, but I prefer Fire & Water to Highway (although the BBC tracks from Highway sound great).

Free never really changed their sound, they just distilled it to the essence. That's why I love the band so much...if you aren't paying attention you'll miss how incredibly hip it is.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:35 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Wasn't it a requirement for every British musician that played blues to do a stint with the Bluesbreakers at some point? They were the British version of London. Very Happy

Ha! The band I've listened to almost constantly lately is the Keef Hartley Band. A great blues band built around one of John Mayall's former drummers.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 4:40 am

[quote="SAHB Healer"]
MetalGuy71 wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Ha! The band I've listened to almost constantly lately is the Keef Hartley Band. A great blues band built around one of John Mayall's former drummers.

Keef Hartley Band rocks!!! I have Halfbreed,The Battle Of North West Six and The Time Is Near, all great albums IMO.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:57 am

rattpoison wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Love it that i may, i think Fire & Water is a little overrated in the brill Free catalogue.......i've always put Highway, Tons Of Sobs and Free S/T ahead of it.......but that's just me.

Since their entire discography is relativley small and inexpensive, I'll probably eventually get them all. I just sold some baby clothes on ebay, so I got me some Paypal money burning a hole in my pocket.

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 10:09 am

I had a baby clothes fetish for a little while as well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 10:33 am

SpectreFate wrote:
I had a baby clothes fetish for a little while as well.

Once I sell it and ship it off, it's none of my business what folks to do with it. I'd like to think that some if it gets used to dress performing monkeys. Or midgets.

Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:10 pm

manny wrote:
The bassline on the song 'Mr. Big' is so badass and thick sounding that Billy Sheenan and his gang of merrymen named their band after this song.
Oh HELL YEAH it is! Andy Fraser is WAY underrated as a bass player, and he was still in his teens while with FREE! Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 604261

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Tons of Sobs is SO righteously cool! Def one of my personal faves. They did start moving away from straight blues after that one, but there is still some VERY strong material to be heard on the later releases. You can even hear Paul Rodger's songwriting style that he would perfect later with BAD CO. starting to show itself in places. Such an incredible but highly underrated/unerappreciated band, IMO. Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 309780

Last edited by TrogDawn on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 3:02 pm

I haven't heard "Free At Last" yet, but my favorites right now are "Ton of Sobs" and "Heartbreaker", the bookends of their catalogue. TOS for the excellent execution of blues rock and Heartbreaker for it's pre-Bad Company, Bad Company sound. The only one that hasn't grabbed me yet is "Highway". That one is a bit mellow for me.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:08 pm

manny wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Lord, I hope this thread doesn't make me go broke. I've been trying to forget how much I liked Tons of Sobs, so I don't go and buy their discography. No

I was blown away by Tons of Sobs, BTW. Smile

Great band have most of their discography on vinyl and reminds me I need to upgrade my collection, I am glad you liked it I knew you would, just a killer killer band

When you decide to unload the Free vinyl in favor of CDs, let me know - I'll snap them up from you! I have "All Right Now" on 45, but that's all so far...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:28 pm

MetalFRO wrote:
manny wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Lord, I hope this thread doesn't make me go broke. I've been trying to forget how much I liked Tons of Sobs, so I don't go and buy their discography. No

I was blown away by Tons of Sobs, BTW. Smile

Great band have most of their discography on vinyl and reminds me I need to upgrade my collection, I am glad you liked it I knew you would, just a killer killer band

When you decide to unload the Free vinyl in favor of CDs, let me know - I'll snap them up from you! I have "All Right Now" on 45, but that's all so far...

I can mail you 'Heartbreaker' if you want it, the cover is beat up, but I'll send it to you if you want it just PM your address and I'll send it out in a week or two. It is still playable but it is not great condition, thanks to my twins.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2