Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)

Go down 
+4
the sentinel
Metal Misfit
A Handful of Wayne
tohostudios
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Empty
PostSubject: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 3:32 pm

Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) L55074gdf5h

*note* - I've been a fan of Queen since I was 7 years old, I've also been a fan of Free/Bad Company/The Firm...so I came into this album without any pre-conceived notions that it would "sound like Queen". My review is based solely on the music within and will not feature comparisons to Freddie Mercury, it's a different band.

The Cosmos Rocks (Hollywood Records): Paul Rodgers, Brian May, Roger Taylor (no bass player listed, so I'm assuming it was Brian).

The album kicks of with the obligatory arena anthem; "Cosmos Rockin". All the requisite ingredients are present (shout along chorus, handclaps, etc), unfortunately this track kind of falls flat on it's face, tripping over lyrical cliches that would fit more comfortably on a Def Leppard album. I'm sure it will be killer live, but the studio version is rather weak...next.

"Time To Shine" - Okay, this is more like it. This song takes full advantage of Paul's still amazing voice, great arrangement and playing throughout, the chorus is very memorable. This is the kind of track I was hoping for considering the talent involved.

"Still Burnin" - As the title suggests this is a straight-up rocker (not unlike Sweet Lady), while the lyrical cliches are still present, this one jams enough to overcome them. Rippin' Brian May solo here.

"Small" - The first of several ballads, this one probably works the best and is good enough to be worthy of a single. The arrangement is restrained and focuses primarily on Paul's voice and Brian's acoustic guitar.

"Warboys" & "We Believe" - The two weakest tracks on the album, back to back just to destroy the flow of the record. The former should rock but doesn't, the latter is an embarrasing "why can't we all just get along" ballad. Both songs attempt to mix in some modern day politics and fail miserably. Skip both.

"Call Me" - I didn't like this one at first, but after a couple listens it's grown on me. Sounding very much like a track that could fit on "The Game", this is one of those kitschy Queen classics that mixes in equal amounts humor and melody.

"Voodoo" - My personal favorite song, just a laid-back bluesy number with the amazing chemistry of Paul and Brian on display. I wish more of the album had this vibe.

"Some Things That Glitter" - Another ballad, this one is rather forgettable. Not offensive, but nothing to really recommend it either. next...

"C-lebrity" - The first single, this one comes closest to capturing the vocal arrangement bombast of old, a good solid rocker.

"Through The Night" - Slow bluesy ballad with Brian May offering up some very tasty guitar work, not an extraordinary song, but quite pleasant (I do like the chord change in the pre-chorus, nice touch).

"Say It's Not True" - Probably a "love it or hate it" type song, personally I really dig the arrangement of this one (Roger sings a verse, then Brian, then Paul). A unapolagetic over-the-top ballad but this one works (in my opinion).

Unfortunately the album ends with a thud, "Surf's Up...School's Out" is just as stupid as it's title suggests and should have been left off the album..."Small Reprise" is exactly what it says, a short continuation of the earlier song.

All in all the record is not quite as good as I had hoped, but there are enough good catchy tunes for me to recommend it. It's a good album...with the talent level involved they should have managed a great one.

*** out of ****
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 3:36 pm

Interesting. My copy should be here any day. I'm curious to see how much of the above I agree with.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 3:48 pm

i tunes has 2 bonus trcks. i forget what one of them is but the other is show must go on.

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 3:53 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
i tunes has 2 bonus trcks. i forget what one of them is but the other is show must go on.

...and Best Buy has a bonus DVD with it. I just got the regular CD because I like to buy things from local independent music shop so he'll hopefully stay in business. I avoid purchasing things from the big chain stores whenever possible.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 6:54 pm

Your review was pretty much what I've been expecting reviews for this to be. I plan on picking it up next week.

I really think they've should've just gone with another name than Queen.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 8:15 pm

Y' know, I have the 2 CD live album and thought it was great b/c I love anything with PR and really like Queen. But, I was wondering how they would be with new, original material. This is probably about right. I will eventually pick it up though. Thanks for the review. Peace.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Thanks for the review, I bought the DVD of "We are Still The Champions" out of curioisty and I was surprised how much I enjoyed the live versions of the classic Queen/Bad Company and Free tunes, and Paul Rodgers sounded great.

I plan on picking up the album eventually, it sounds like its mixed bag as far as the material goes but I am glad that they deceided to record new music instead of just becoming strictly an oldies act.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 4:31 pm

It's always hard to review an album like this, because you have the lofty expectations inherent with the people involved, especially with a band like Queen that has such a "grandeur" about the whole thing. As time passes a "larger than life" quality seems to enter into the equation, so subconsciously any new material will probably sound small by comparison.

But, the good songs on The Cosmos Rocks are just that, good songs and shouldn't be underestimated because there's some filler involved to pad out the running time. Let's not forget that latter era Queen w/Freddie Mercury had a tendency towards the same (remember The Miracle?).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 4:53 pm

I agree with your above statement and I think that is why a lot of bands when they do reunion tours do not release a new studio albums, they don't want to try to live up to some unreleastic expections that there fans have in their minds.

But IMO I think bands should go ahead record new music, your legacy is not going to be blown apart if you don' t make an album that lives up to your past. I am glad Queen, the Who, and AC/DC have gone ahead and have written new music and taken a chance.

I just wish other bands such as KISS would put out new music instead of becoming an oldies act. The fans will support the album if its good in the last few years AC/DC, Metallica, Journey, The Rolling Stones and The Who's newest studio albums have all done very well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Then there is the flip-side of the coin, a band like Deep Purple that keeps putting out good new material...but then nobody wants to talk about anything else but Machine Head.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 5:07 pm

detuned wrote:
Then there is the flip-side of the coin, a band like Deep Purple that keeps putting out good new material...but then nobody wants to talk about anything else but Machine Head.

I see that point of view also, I believe Paul Stanley has stated that same fustration, but as an artist and a musician you keep pushing it further, if not for your audience than yourself.

AC/DC put out a new album and every article you read they still bring up " Back In Black" but it has not stopped AC/DC for creating new music.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:58 am

Started spinning this today and so far...meh.

Paul sounds as great as ever; he hasn't lost any of his vocal talent over the years. But the songs aren't doing anything for me.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:04 am

wrong thread... Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by tohostudios on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 11:54 am

i may get this eventually as i am intrigued to hear it. it is just that i think should be laid to rest
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 3:25 pm

I purchased Queen + Paul Rodgers album last night, and I enjoyed it. Paul Rodgers could never replace Freddie Mercury nor does he try to.

His voice is as strong as I remember and Brian May and Roger Taylor sound great also. The material on this album while not up to the standards of earlier Queen classics it is as good if not better then 'The Miracle' or 'The Works' IMO. Good solid combination of both artist past, it is a new band rather than a continuation of Queen, at least that is the way I see it.

detuned's review is right on the money but I liked every song on the album including 'Surf's Up' but detuned is correct, it is the worst song on the album. Rumors are that it is already over for this line up, I hope not especially since there is talk of KISS/Queen co headlining tour for this up coming summer.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Here is where Queen address the rumor:

Queen guitarist Brian May has denied rumours that their collaboration with Free and Bad Company’s Paul Rodgers is over.
Rumours have persisted that the collaboration will be brought to a close following the release of ‘The Cosmos Rocks’ but May has insisted that this isn’t the case: “Well, I don’t know where anyone got that idea — Roger (Taylor, drums) and Paul and myself haven’t made any decisions whatsoever about the future. We just need a rest!”
Rumours of a split kicked into overdrive this week when Austrian website Österreich had claimed that last Saturday’s show in Rio de Janeiro would be their last.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 2:25 pm

I've been avoiding this one. Not sure why. I guess it would be like Thin Lizzy recording a new CD without Phil Lynott. It just seems weird. A live album, a tribute tour, sure, but a new album?

Ahhhh, I need to get over it and check it out for myself.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 2:29 pm

I don't care for it much. And it's not Paul Rodger's fault. The songs just seem kinda boring for the most part.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 11:43 am

To me Queen is not Queen without Freddy and doubt Ill be getting this and i like Queen too
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 11:58 am

ultmetal wrote:
I guess it would be like Thin Lizzy recording a new CD without Phil Lynott. It just seems weird. A live album, a tribute tour, sure, but a new album?

I would say the main difference with this comparison is that with Lizzy, Phil was the primary songwriter...Queen was always a collaborative effort with all the band members writing songs (each member wrote at least one hit single). To me, Queen was always a combination of Freddie's amazing spirit, Brian May's writing/arranging/guitar harmony skills and Roger Taylor's groove and backing vocals. So I'm willing to give them a pass since two of the primary songwriters are still involved.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 9:23 am

I have to agree with detuned in regards to Brian May and Roger Taylor keeping the name Queen alive, it is not the same Queen with Freddie Mercury but it is still Queen. Sort of like Pink Floyd carring on after Roger Waters left. Not the same as before but David Gilmour was a creative force in Pink Floyd.

Thin Lizzy is a little different no one in this line up was there during their commerical and artist peak,with the exceptation of Scott Gorham. John Sykes while an excellent musician only played on one studio album (Thunder and Lighting) and the other two members where not in any of the previous incarnations of Thin Lizzy. The use of the name Thin Lizzy is a little dubious IMO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)   Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks (review)
Page 1 of 1