Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets

Go down 
+5
jstate
brokentulsa
manny
journeyman
TheGreatDuck
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Empty
PostSubject: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 5:58 pm

I have five UFO albums (the last three '70s albums and the first two post-Schenker releases), the first two MSG albums and Whitesnake's Lovehunter and Ready an' Willing. Now, seeing that all three groups released some of their albums in box sets, I'm wondering, should I still purchase the stand-alone albums? I know the box sets have some previously unreleased material, however, I've also heard some of the bonus tracks from the remasters were left out.
I'll also add that I dislike when this kind of box sets doesn't have the booklets for all the albums, as well as the tracks being spread out on various releases (like that Scorpions set where the songs from one album were added as bonus tracks to the other two albums).
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:17 am

I just bought all of UFO's remasters and didn't know they had a box set. I just thought it was as GH's and didn't even give it a thought. Going back and finding that UFO has two box sets covering the 70's through the 80's releases. The price for the UFO box sets are pretty good, but I'm not sure if there is anything in them that the remasters don't have.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:19 am

It is just the remastered albums repacked in a box, I believe the UFO boxset has a live disc in it from what I remember in the Classic Rock Magazine review, but nothing else has been added to the discs.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 4:21 pm

I was thinking about picking up the MSG box. Looks cool but I am cheap. Looking around I may be able to get all the albums individually cheap.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:55 am

Just looked up UFO's box set on amazon and turns out the four disc set has the four albums I don't have the remasters of. The cheap price has me tempted to make the upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:16 am

Can't believe i still own nothing by UFO. i need at least a best-of.

But i'm not really familiar with the band, so i don't know where to start.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:20 am

Gilbert wrote:

"Strangers In The Night". It's a live album, but generally considered to be their ultimate high water mark. Similar to Unleashed In The East, most of these performances are far superior to their studio counterparts.

Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 am

S.D. wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

"Strangers In The Night". It's a live album, but generally considered to be their ultimate high water mark. Similar to Unleashed In The East, most of these performances are far superior to their studio counterparts.

Highly recommended.

Yes!!!! The energy in the closing solo to "Lights Out" is worth the price alone!!!! Not a bad track on that live album.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 8:57 am

S.D. wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

Highly recommended.

Listen to this man! 'Strangers in the Night' kicks ass from beginning to end
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 11:02 am

I have a friend who owns Strangers in the Night on CD and he says that there's a bonus track or two on there that isn't on the box set. I have that box set and I am more than happy with it, it is a great way to get acquainted with UFO's golden years. The box set does have the albums spread out on different discs, i.e. disc two may have a full-length plus the first four songs from the next album, then the next five songs from that album appear on the next disc. I loaded them on my iTunes by the specific album rather than the disc, so I can still listen to a full album without any interruptions or what have you. If you can overlook those flaws, I'd say go for the box set.
Back to top Go down
Psychotron
Metal student
Metal student
Psychotron

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 2:09 pm

Nico wrote:
I have a friend who owns Strangers in the Night on CD and he says that there's a bonus track or two on there that isn't on the box set. I have that box set and I am more than happy with it, it is a great way to get acquainted with UFO's golden years. The box set does have the albums spread out on different discs, i.e. disc two may have a full-length plus the first four songs from the next album, then the next five songs from that album appear on the next disc. I loaded them on my iTunes by the specific album rather than the disc, so I can still listen to a full album without any interruptions or what have you. If you can overlook those flaws, I'd say go for the box set.

Yes, with that UFO box, I cannot understand why the hell they spread out parts of albums on multiple discs. I mean, why did the people who put this together think that was a great idea? Very irritating. angry
Back to top Go down
http://nicksmetal.blogspot.com
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 11:02 pm

great. will try to buy a copy. already enjoying the few samples on you tube headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets   MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MSG, Whitesnake and UFO box sets
Page 1 of 1