Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Did you ever meet someone...

Go down 
+11
Shiney
sovdat
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
mc666
Lurideath
arttieTHE1manparty
Smindas
Troublezone
krokus
Required Fields
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

Did you ever meet someone... Empty
PostSubject: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 4:36 pm

...where metal music was not allowed in their house? Like, it didn't matter what the lyrical content or anything was at all, but no matter what, metal was forbidden from the household? I was just wondering...

I never have, but I did come across someone who has a mom who listens to stuff like AC/DC, The Ramones, The Misfits, etc., who won't allow country music in her house.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 4:42 pm

My house is like that. In my house only heavy metal, hard rock, speed metal, thrash metal, hard aor, glam metal , sleazy rock, heavy rock, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, punk metal, ns metal, white metal, nwobhm, us metal...IS ALLOWED. No pop, punk bubble gum pop, melodic death/black, tecno, rap, country, etc....
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 6:44 pm

Years ago i knew this guy who told me his parents didn't even want him to listen to Def Lepard's Pyromania record.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 6:52 pm

I think it's ridiculous to properly deny any genre of music in a house hold. There's just no basis for it.

Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 10:51 pm

Oh yeah...a couple. I had a couple of friends who came from very religious families that didn't allow ROCK at all!

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 11:12 pm

Yeah I have an aunt who does not allow metal music at all in her house.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 11:14 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Yeah I have an aunt who does not allow metal music at all in her house.

Does she have any children?
Does she allow other non-conformist/aggressive music (like rap and punk) in her house at all?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2007 12:26 am

my father in law would never allow it in his home. not because of religion, but because he thought it was to noisy.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2007 10:50 am

When I was a kid and it was premiering on TV, my parents did not want me to watch "Kiss Meets the Phantoms of the Park". I saw it at a friend's house instead. Seems really silly now, but I guess my parents had their reasons at the time.

My mom wasn't real fond of George Thorogood either. "All he ever sings about is drinking!!"
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2007 12:18 pm

I knew many people like this from churches I have attended. I went to a
church one time that disallowed any heavy metal at all but they were ok
with rap, rock, etc. They would bring in guest like Mylon Lefevre and
Daniel Band, but when they found out I was in Ultimatum, they wouldn't
even allow us to hang us a flyer for a show we were doing. I have a
tape of the pastor saying that all heavy metal, including Christian
metal, is nothing but incantation. He urges parents to go home and
destroy their kids heavy metal album. He also says, "Christian metal?
Bullcorn!!! There ain't no such thing!" It actually would be pretty
funny if I didn't know he was serious. Sad thing is, I know some
parents who went home and destroyed their kids music collections. The
trouble it caused was unreal. It was a totally STUPID thing to tell
people to do. What did these parents think their kids were gonna
do? "Oh thank you mom, I am no free from the bondage of that heavy
metal music." Mad

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2007 12:33 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I knew many people like this from churches I have attended. I went to a
church one time that disallowed any heavy metal at all but they were ok
with rap, rock, etc. They would bring in guest like Mylon Lefevre and
Daniel Band, but when they found out I was in Ultimatum, they wouldn't
even allow us to hang us a flyer for a show we were doing. I have a
tape of the pastor saying that all heavy metal, including Christian
metal, is nothing but incantation. He urges parents to go home and
destroy their kids heavy metal album. He also says, "Christian metal?
Bullcorn!!! There ain't no such thing!" It actually would be pretty
funny if I didn't know he was serious. Sad thing is, I know some
metal music." Mad

Sound totaly sick to me. Those people deserve bad things when they die🙇
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2007 2:32 pm

It's like that Kiss movie Detroit Rock City, when one guy had to hide his Kiss LP in some other sleeve Smile
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2007 3:47 pm

My wife oft tells the stories of growing up in a household where "secular" rock was frowned upon...and how she used to record over her store bought Christian cassettes with mainstream metal and rock...to listen to them in her walkman.....

I was lucky as my parents were not to judgemental in what I listened to...

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2007 3:55 pm

Fortunately my parents really didn't worry much about what I was listening to growing up. Even when the famous PMRC hearings were on the 6 o'clock news and my brother and I were going "I have that! I have that! I have that one too!" for virtually every album cover Tipper and her friends were holding up as examples of the "Filthy Fifteen," they were like "Well, we assume you're smart enough to know the difference between right and wrong," and they didn't buy into the "Heavy music makes kids evil" nonsense at all. Thanks, Mom and Dad! Smile
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 2:26 am

I happen to love music, to me its not only the greatest art form in the world but IMo it single handedly keeps this world from becoming boring and mundane. to not allow any genre to be played anywhere is just plain dumb. whatever......
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 11:16 am

My best friend got kicked out of his house at 17 for owning a Van Halen album. He lived with me for a year before joining the Marines. He is now a sucsessful father of 3, guess he survived the "devil music".
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 11:20 am

ultmetal wrote:
Sad thing is, I know some
metal music." Mad

I've heard a few horror stories like that too. As if the parents thought ther kids were going to "straighten up and fly right" once there were no Motley Crue cassettes in the house?? If anything, the kids are going to become even angrier and more resentful... if that had happened to me (thankfully it didn't), I would've been like "You thought you had teenage rebellion BEFORE? Well, it's ON now!"

I already told this story in another thread but I once was asked to leave my Sunday school class when the teacher started spouting all the classic B.S. stories about AC/DC standing for "Anti-Christ/Devil's Children," that KISS stood for "Knights In Satan's Service," that Ozzy killed puppies on stage during his concerts, etc., etc. The following week I went back with my Motley Crue "Allister Fiend" t-shirt on and they didn't find that very funny either. I guess I was just a bad seed. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 11:21 am

troublezone wrote:
Years ago i knew this guy who told me his parents didn't even want him to listen to Def Lepard's Pyromania record.

In 9th grade, my mom refused to let me go see Bryan Adams because of all the "pot heads".

Yet, she'd drop my brother & I off at the colusiem to go to wrestling matches.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 5:01 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

In 9th grade, my mom refused to let me go see Bryan Adams because of all the "pot heads".

Nowadays, Bryan Adams plays to arenas full of Moms. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 5:15 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Nowadays, Bryan Adams plays to arenas full of Moms. Smile

Ah, the irony. Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2007 1:44 am

One of my old schoolmates had parents who were anti rock music. The usual, rock is satan junk. I thought it died out in to 80's finally, I was wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2007 8:07 am

Never encountered something like this, but I'm sure I will. I guess you could say I already have because any Metal is not really allowed in school. I have to listen to it in secret, Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2007 5:12 pm

My family was like that; they were the same way with hardcore.

I had to sneak all my old albums in. In fact, when I was a Christian teen, I had to tell my mother that I was doing "research," like Bob Larson or something. Sometimes, I would have to come up with creative ways to convince my mother that the music was "Christian"--like telling her that Suicidal Tendencies ministered to those suffering from depression, or something like that. It occasionally worked, if the album art was tame enough.

)+(
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2007 2:54 am

I think there are really two issues here...

1. I don't think anyone should have to listen to anything that is annoying or offensive to them in their own home; it's an invasion of privacy and noise pollution. And parents do have a legal right to make some descisions for their children. Ironically I had to lay down the law when my elderly parents were living in my home; I had to ask them not to watch certain TV programs that I found offensive. I told them that my peace and quiet was too valuable to be polluted by Oprah talking to some quack psychic or something...and needless to say I used head phones for my metal when the old timers were there. Just recipricol courtesy.

2. Parents trying to exert complete control over their childrens minds and lives...that's a different issue. If I had kids I would just tell them I thought the music was stupid and why, I don't want to hear it, and to go listen to it at their friends house or something. I think trying to exert complete control over media consumption (even outside the home) is a losing battle; and usually results in rebellion rather than conformitiy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever meet someone...   Did you ever meet someone... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did you ever meet someone...
Page 1 of 1