Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is vinyl becoming popular again?

Go down 
+19
TrogDawn
franang
TheGooch
nevermore
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
outofstep
DallasBlack
iamrockerfun
Rex
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
krokus
Temple of Blood
mc666
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
sovdat
ultmetal
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Is vinyl becoming popular again? Empty
PostSubject: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 11:52 am

It seems to me that a lot of people are getting back into vinyl collecting. My 15 year old son has even started buying vinyl. A lot of new releases are being released in limited edition vinyl runs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 12:01 pm

I still collect it but mainly of bands that I already know, I'll buy the Overkill LPs that they still produce "RelixIV" etc & WASP - Dominator but I mainly do it to keep their existing collections going, I don't bother with many of the newer bands.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 12:26 pm

Vinyl was always very popular in European underground. Don't know for you US guys ...
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 12:26 pm

Its making its way back, but its more of a collectors item type thing.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 12:38 pm

Seems a bit odd to me. That would be like VHS making a big comeback. I understand the nostalgia factor for a certain demographic, but as a legit music format in this day and age? Nah.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 12:48 pm

it's a trend. it comes & goes. it had a resurgence back in the early grunge days too, but died shortly. it will die again soon too.

sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Seems a bit odd to me. That would be like VHS making a big comeback. I understand the nostalgia factor for a certain demographic, but as a legit music format in this day and age? Nah.

You'd probably be skinned alive on a forum like The Corroseum is Smile
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 1:04 pm

I would buy the vinyl for new bands that I really like. I probably have a few dozen vinyl albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 1:04 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
That would be like VHS making a big comeback.

I'm holding out hope for this to happen I have a couple of Hundred Metal VHS tapes here, bloody things may be burnt soon if not.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 3:23 pm

I dont realy care if it comes back or not. I have a very big vinyl collection and i still listen to vinyls everyday. In my home vinyls will be always popular.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 12:26 am

krokus wrote:
I dont realy care if it comes back or not. I have a very big vinyl collection and i still listen to vinyls everyday. In my home vinyls will be always popular.
agreed! Is vinyl becoming popular again? 604261

krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 8:38 am

mc666 wrote:
krokus wrote:
agreed! Is vinyl becoming popular again? 604261

THANKS MC666. Always nice when somebody agree with me🤘 🤘 humble
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:

Our children will be having the same conversation about compact discs in another 20 years. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 12:19 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

Our children will be having the same conversation about compact discs in another 20 years. Very Happy

SonOfTheMetal Misfit wrote:

What's a "compact disc"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 6:09 pm

I find that vinyl is really only popular amongst elitist types (Black Metal fans, old school Hardcore kids, etc.) and electronic music fans. Most of my DJ friends spin vinyl, since they do lots of mash-ups, though a few are slowly switching over to mp3.

I only collect vinyl for the artwork/nostalgia value, anymore. I don't think I even have a working turntable...

)+(
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 7:29 pm

I'm seeing this huge trend among these young thrash fans who like vinyl over CDs.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 10:51 am

I've been collecting... Theres something about the sound I prefer to digital.

Plus the album art looks awesome hanging on my wall.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 9:34 am

I never was a vinyl kid so I'm not a vinyl adult. I have had only a handful of vinyl over the years. Alice Cooper's Welcome to my Nightmare is the only one I have now, I have it framed in my office. But I have had Saxon's Denim and Leather and Ozzy's Diary of a Madman (which I actually burned in a bonfire--damn Ozzy).

Collecting as a kid, everything was cassettes and I'll never go back to those. I am a CD man for life.

I can understand why people would want a larger copy of the art, but the sound quality would be too deficient for my ears these days.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 10:00 am

I don't know anyone who buys or still listens to vinyl.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 10:04 am

digital record wasn't till today better than analogue. analogue record is LIVE record. old LPs still rulez with their live sound ... digital sound is pure clear ... everybody loves the old LPs. me too.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 10:13 am

I barely have enough money to buy CDs these days let alone vinyl. I'll pass with the knoledge that I at least know what a record is and what a record player looks like.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 10:36 am

Vinyl never went away. As someone else already pointed out, the underground black metal scene, as well as the punk/hardcore scenes have ALWAYS supported vinyl as the superior format. Many punk/hardcore releases are pressed on vinyl only, and there will always be a dedicated following among the underground punk/metal scenes for this format. I would think that fewer labels would start pressing vinyl for some of the more mainstream metal acts though. Really, how many trivium fans bought the vinyl version of that album? The thrash resurgance has brought out nostalgia for all things 1980's again, so it's only natural bands like evile and merciless death would get vinyl pressings of their material. I welcome the renewed interest among larger metal labels in pressing vinyl, as I've been a die-hard vinyl collector for years, and it's nice to be able to have a choice whether or not I want a new major metal label release on disc or vinyl.

BTW Ult, when the ultimatum vinyl coming out?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 10:44 am

I had a buddy give me Dio -Holy Diver on vinyl a couple years ago. I listened to it lifting in my garage a few months ago on a whim and was blown away by the sound. I decided to fill a few metal holes from the 70's and 80's with vinyl. I got TS- Under The Blade, Quiet Riot - Metal Health, Fastway - S/T, Accept - S/T, Dio - Last In Line, Iron Maiden - Killers so far. I have TS- Stay Hungry on the way. I plan on getting the other Iron Maiden up to Powerslave on vinyl and that will be that. Just enough vinyl to have some variety when I lift or mess around in my garage. I like it but I'm not going to go nuts with it. Besides those few records I'm a CD man for life like Spectre.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 10:52 am

I still have about 100 vinyl LPs but they don't get much play anymore. They just sit in a box in the closet, but I don't have the heart to get rid of 'em. Almost all of them have been upgraded to CDs over the years, with the exception of a couple of bootlegs/obscurities anyway.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 10:55 am

Got any Iron Maiden you want to sell cheap?!?!? Very Happy greedy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is vinyl becoming popular again?   Is vinyl becoming popular again? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is vinyl becoming popular again?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next