Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

All things Metallica - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 12:41 pm

I read a review of this book in Swedish Rock Magazine today. It was given 8/10 points. Made me wanna read the thing.

It's a bit weird though, that the writer was 15 years olf when Cliff died, and didnæt become a fan of the band until much, much later.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 1:34 pm

kmorg wrote:
I read a review of this book in Swedish Rock Magazine today. It was given 8/10 points. Made me wanna read the thing.

It's a bit weird though, that the writer was 15 years olf when Cliff died, and didnæt become a fan of the band until much, much later.

I read Joel McIver's book Justice For All: The Truth About Metallica (2004), and I thought it was just a so-so read. He didn't write about anything that I didn't already know. The best read on Metallica, was Chris Crocker's book entitled: Metallica: The Frayed Ends of Metal (1993)
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 3:01 pm

zombiewalkin wrote:
The new album is pretty decent. I might pick it up but I think I could live without it.

IMO, it's not worth getting new. Find it cheaper used somewhere.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 5:07 pm

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I found this video on youtube to be particularly awesome. It's always cool when you find new videos dating back to the Cliff Burton days. Here's a laid back interview with the band in McAllen, TX (05/06/1986) & "Battery" being played live (good footage), along with a snippet of "Master of Puppets".

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:15 am

Death Magnetic is a very good CD.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Didn't want to start a new metallica thread since its the last thing we need haha!
Anyway I was just watching this video of Lars showing off his signature snare drum. I actually like Lars. I think his drumming has really declined over the years but as a person I think he would be really cool to talk to. His snare drum is horrible though. I remember a few years ago when I was looking for a new snare drum. I wanted something big that sounded great. I went to the drum center and the guy was trying to sell me this snare drum. He goes its probably the best sounding snare. He starts hitting it and I just said nope don't like it. The guy thought I was nuts. My guess is no one is buying it and he thought maybe I was an easy sell. I also didn't want someone elses snare drum because then it wouldn't be my sound. I ended up finding the right one. It cost just as much as Lars' snare and when I got it, it sounded like it too but with a little tweeking it was all better and I was very pleased.

After I watched this video of him demonstrating his own snare it just makes me laugh. He knows nothing about it only that it sounds loud hahaha. Doesn't he hear that annoying ringing it does after he hits it? its totally horrible! LOL

Ahhhh.... thats my rant for the moment.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 7:13 pm

I would bet that he has some hearing loss on the high end and can't hear the ringing. A band I used to be in played this club one time, they had a house sound guy that had lost some of the high end of his hearing from too many shows at too many decibels. He couldn't tell when the mains were feeding back because his ears were shot and he could only hear the lower sounds.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Yea I can see that. I'm sure I have some sort of hearing loss, but then again I'm always catching things whether it be in music or just some random sound outside and no one else will catch it but me until I point it out. I've been wanting to take a hearing test just to see. Every once in a while I get this really annoying humming but its not every day and sometimes it only at night for some wierd reason. I'm sure that has to be something. I just never went to the doctor about it because I know it has to be something with playing music.

I don't think though no matter how bad my hearing could be I would still hear that damn ringing sound in that snare or any snare for that matter. haha

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 2:11 pm

I stumbled on this just a little while ago. I watched the first part of a ten part series on Metallica and it being the 30th Anniversary of the band (Italian doc w/recognizable footage and some not so recognizable footage). I totally dig the clever production when each album is displayed, and I love the all white/sleeveless/black logo Death Angel t-shirt that James is wearing at the 8:23 mark.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 10:34 am

Wasn't Metallica in the studio recently working on some "top secret" project? Anything come of that?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Well, it's official, as Ric Rubin will be producing another album with the band. Hopefully the mix is a little better on this next effort. It was WAY too loud...

http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/04/27/metallica-rick-rubin/
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 3:36 pm

I guess it's too much to ask for someone who produces metal albums to produce a Metallica album. Oh well.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 3:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I guess it's too much to ask for someone who produces metal albums to produce a Metallica album. Oh well.
Slayer & Danzig aren't metal?

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 4:11 pm

mc666 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Has he worked with either of them in the last decade or so? If so, my bad.

I'm not trying to discredit Rick Rubin. He's done some awesome work in the music business, but it seems these days, there are other guys out there that work exclusively in the genre that could maybe bring out something different in Metallica. While I had no problem with Death Magnetic overall, it just seemed like a case of Metallica getting the most expensive producer out there because they could. And "most expensive" isn't always the best, if that makes sense.

Look at how many other thrash bands (old and new) that released albums in the past 5 years or so that were better produced than Death Magnetic with a tenth of the budget and a producer that actually produced the album.

EDIT: Rubin was Executive Producer on Slayer's Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood. I don't know what's the difference between a regular producer and an executive producer though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 4:32 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
mc666 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Has he worked with either of them in the last decade or so? If so, my bad.

I'm not trying to discredit Rick Rubin. He's done some awesome work in the music business, but it seems these days, there are other guys out there that work exclusively in the genre that could maybe bring out something different in Metallica. While I had no problem with Death Magnetic overall, it just seemed like a case of Metallica getting the most expensive producer out there because they could. And "most expensive" isn't always the best, if that makes sense.

Look at how many other thrash bands (old and new) that released albums in the past 5 years or so that were better produced than Death Magnetic with a tenth of the budget and a producer that actually produced the album.

EDIT: Rubin was Executive Producer on Slayer's Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood. I don't know what's the difference between a regular producer and an executive producer though.

The problem is that Rubin will brick wall the sound again.........
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Quote :

An "executive producer" is the guy who sits in an office calling the "real" producer on the phone every once in a while to ask how things are going.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 5:05 pm

The last few years artist as diverse as Black Crowes, Mick Jagger, Glenn Danzig, and even Mike Frasher (who co produced AC/DC's BallBreaker with Rubin ) have all publicly complained about Rick Rubin's so called production, or lack of involvement in the producer's chair, Jagger going as far as producing most of the Wandering Spirit album himself, and giving himself co-producer credit on the album.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 5:10 pm

It seems like Rick has just been coasting on his past reputation (as impressive as it may be) for the last few years.

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 6:01 pm

In this case "Executive Producer" means he handles the money side only. Then he collects the largest percentage of the profit.

Well, there was such a backlash over the sound of Death Magnetic that I have a feeling it will get addressed, but he's not going to bring a damn thing to the table from a production standpoint.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

An "executive producer" is the guy who sits in an office calling the "real" producer on the phone every once in a while to ask how things are going.

Why should someone like that even get paid? It's a carryover job from the decadent 1980's. Totally unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 6:50 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
It seems like Rick has just been coasting on his past reputation (as impressive as it may be) for the last few years.

I have read that all he does is listen to the songs, tells the band which ones he thinks suck and tells them to keep writing until they get it to his liking. Once he thinks the songs sounds good, he sends the band to the studio with his engineer with instructions to make the album sound as loud as possible and record it as fast s possible.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:22 am

the "secret' project has been revealed - it's a Lou Reed/Metallica album:

Secret Recording Project?
June 15, 2011

A few months ago our own Kirk Hammett hinted at a new Metallica project that's "not really 100 percent a Metallica record." While Kirk may have jumped the gun a little (and has since been properly punished with a series of push-ups!), we are more than proud to announce that we have just completed recording a full length album that is a collaboration with none other than the legendary Lou Reed.

Ever since we had the pleasure of performing with Lou at the 25th Anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at Madison Square Garden in October of 2009, we have been kicking around the idea of making a record together. Some of you astute Bay Area residents may have picked up news of recent Lou Reed sightings in the greater San Francisco area and we have indeed been working at our home studio at HQ on and off over the last few months. In what would be lightning speed for a Metallica related project, we recorded ten songs during this time and while at this moment we're not exactly sure when you'll hear it, we're beyond excited to share with you that the recording sessions wrapped up last week.

A true innovator and easily one of the most influential songwriters, musicians, and performers in rock music history, Lou's work with the Velvet Underground and as a solo artist has such an enduring quality that he has long been revered and respected by us and many of our peers. We can't wait for you to listen to the finished record, so as we like to hear ourselves say around here, keep watching this spot for updates . . . we'll be back with more details as they come together.

http://www.metallica.com/page.asp?ps_key=4F31377A8B5746E1B0437710353B2797&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:41 am

I love Lou Reed and I am huge fan but I am not sure if a collabration like this will work.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 am

Ummmm... ??????

Zzzzzzzzzzz.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:46 am

manny wrote:
I love Lou Reed and I am huge fan but I am not sure if a collabration like this will work.

I'm kind of thinking along the same lines you are Manny. With that being said, I will wait to hear the finished product before I condemn thing prior to it coming out. I hope this collaboration surprises me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next