Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Green Day

Go down 
+22
muckie
Glower
Aaron_D
Hadley
DallasBlack
Runicen
exact33
James B.
Eyesore
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
Boris2008
scottmitchell74
Addy
Stender
GrandNational
MetalRob331
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 10:44 pm

Saw no thread on Green Day was wondering the general opinion is? I have mixed feelings on the band, on one hand I do like some of their songs and albums on the other hand the bands they have inspired with their 'pop Punk rock' such as Jimmy Eat World, Good Charlotte, and Blink 182 IMO is responsiable for some worst music ever marketed as rock let alone punk. Anyway any opinions on Green Day?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 10:46 pm

Closest I ever got to digging this sort of thing was select tracks by the Offspring, Dexter didn't have quite the same nasal-teenager tone the others did, and sometimes they could bust out with something that was borderline speed metal in ways. This band isn't the most banal to me, but still pretty banal. Razz
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 11:04 pm

I don't mind their various "radio hits" but I've never owned any of their CDs. I have come close to buying the "Dookie" CD on the cheap several times but never pulled the trigger on it

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 12:29 am

Ah, I'm a big Green Day fan. I remember how all the punks liked them until Dookie, and then pulled the "they changed" crap. The band didn't change at all! Later they had the acoustic tune, Warning was a rather experimental album, as was parts of American Idiot (you gotta respect a punk band that pulls of epic 9-minute plus songs!), but they've largely stayed true to their original sound.

Yeah, they are pop punk, but so were the Ramones.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 am

I like Green Day. I wasn't too thrilled with the American Idiot disc though. And they definitely are pop punk.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 12:34 pm

I like a few select songs. I think Dookie is one of the best albums to come out in the 90's
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Green Day reminds me of my high school days in '94/'95 with the lonely/weird girls wearing Doc Martins and dyeing their hair green. Bad memories. The music never did much for me. I had their best-of compilation for a while but parted ways months ago due to the fact I listened to it once and put it away.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 10:52 pm

Never could get into them...even Dookie.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 6:50 am

they are hit or miss with me
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't mind their various "radio hits" but I've never owned any of their CDs. I have come close to buying the "Dookie" CD on the cheap several times but never pulled the trigger on it

Six years after this post (and twenty years after the album was released!) I finally pulled the trigger on a cheap ass copy of GD's "Dookie" at a library sale a couple of days ago.

It's OK I guess... pretty typical 90s pop punk. At the time this sorta thing was current, I was still clinging to my Ramones and Anti-Nowhere League albums and being all purist ("This new sh*t ain't punk!") so I pretty much ignored Green Day, Offspring, Rancid, etc. back then. Now I'm old and don't give a sh*t, if it's cheap I'll give it a try. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 3:34 pm

I've always liked Greenday, and now my kids have caught wind of them and like them, so they're back on my radar.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 3:37 pm

They are a decent pop rock band and have some good tunes but I understand why punks hate them.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 4:19 pm

I used to like them quite a bit. In the mid-90s, I too was way too cool and too hardcore for Green Day. However, around when Warning came out, my roommate had it and I got pretty obsessed with it and bought up their whole catalog to the point. I became obsessed then with Kerplunk primarily.

I'm not sure if I burnt myself out on them or if I just shifted in musical tastes, but I own none of those records now and don't really care either way.

If I heard a song from Kerplunk or Warning, I'd probably get into it...but I still don't really care much.

I feel they deserve credit in a way, even if it lead to bad music on the radio, for taking non-commercial bands (especially at the time), like Stiff Little Fingers, Buzzcocks, etc., and molding it into something that, like, made them bazillions of dollars.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:55 pm

I have Dookie and Nimrod. I believe I got them both as free promo discs from the record company when they were new releases. It's been forever since I've given them a spin. Probably should remedy that and see if they are keepers or just space hogs.

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 1:49 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 1:53 pm

Nah, Green Day is way too upbeat for those mopey emo kids.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Yeah, I don't think pop punk has much in common with emo at all.  Most pop punk lyrics are like metal lyrics, sex, drugs and rock n roll (no dragons though).  Emo is all this whiney, angsty stuff; way too downbeat to go with the uptempo melodies of pop punk or power pop. 

And then there's a band like Alkaline Trio who fall pretty much into the pop punk category but they sing about stuff like zombies, psycho killers and other horror themes.  Definitely not emo.

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Painkiller wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Nah, Green Day is way too upbeat for those mopey emo kids.
Regardless, I think calling them a "punk" band is being too kind. They certainly have more in common with alternative rock than pure punk rock (think of Samhain).

Yeah, now that I can agree with; I wouldn't call Green Day punk.  But here's a question for you PK, how would you classify the music of The Misfits?  Most consider them a seminal punk band yet to me they sound a lot like Green Day with horror lyrics. 

Punk to me is stuff like The Germs, UK Subs, Dead Kennedys, Rancid etc.  I'm not sure I'd even call The Ramones "punk" now; they also have a lot in common with Green Day IMO.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 7:09 pm

They suck.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Ramones invented punk, yo. Anybody sez they ain't punk, I'll cut 'em. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 8:27 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
They suck.  

But are they emo?   lol!

That's the important question.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 9:01 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
They suck.  

But are they emo?   lol!

That's the important question.

Laughing 
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 9:51 pm

Green Day were at one time, absolutely considered punk, but they deliberately threw that away as they saw the possibility of $$$$$ on the horizon. My problem with them isn't that they signed a major deal and made a whole heap of radio friendly albums, that is their right and no big deal. It's the fact that they aligned themselves so closely to that whole Gilman St scene (which was the complete opposite of that) in the early days, they really did use that scene to get a name and then dumped the whole idea when people came in with money.

They will always be considered sell outs by punks because that's what they are. But it's got very little to do with the music they make.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 10:30 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Terrible band, and "pop punk" is just another word for emo.

Sure, if you don't know shit about music.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Green Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Day   Green Day Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Green Day
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next