Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deep Purple...

Go down 
+18
Addy
MetalGuy71
AngelRipper16
journeyman
DallasBlack
sam
TheGooch
Troublezone
skullsmasher
Pontus
the sentinel
manny
spiritoradio
James B.
XYZ
DeathCult
Olafsto
MetalH
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Deep Purple... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 4:33 pm

spectrefate wrote:
detuned wrote:

The Mark II lineup is peerless, they could have played any kind of music they wanted to and pulled it off beautifully. Fireball is my absolute favorite from this era.
Gotta love the re-formed Mark II lineup that did Perfect Strangers/House Of Blue Light/The Battle Rages On.

I love Fireball as well. Alot of people, even the band do not like that one. The reformed Mark II was great because of the tension. They made some great records with that lineup.

Actually, that's Ian Gillan's favorite album. He wanted to continue on in that vein (getting more progressive rock, less heavy metal) but Blackmore refused and thus Machine Head was born. Of course Machine Head is a classic so the knee-jerk reaction would be that Blackmore made the right choice...but I think they could have met in the middle somewhere on that one. The talent they had in that band (especially Lord) could have come up with some great progressive rock I bet.

The current Morse lineup plays ALOT of Fireball tracks live (Fireball, No No No, No One Came, Demon's Eye, Strange Kind Of Woman).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 5:18 pm

I am huge fan of all the Deep Purple line ups, and I think detuned is right if Deep Purple mark II line up had continued beyond 1973, I am sure that it would be a direction in between Fireball and Machine Head, but we will never know.

Mark II line up is my favorite, and I think combination of Gillan/Blackmore/Lord/Paice and Glover were magic. Not to say Mark III or Tommy Bolin did not have some excellent moments, as a matter fact thesole studio album with Tommy Bolin " Come Taste the Band" is under rated overlooked Purple classic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 4:22 am

Deep Purple... - Page 2 519x0br-yaL._SL500_AA240_

If any of you Deep Purple fans don't own this one yet...BUY IT! It's only $14.99 on Amazon and not only features their amazing set at the 2006 Montreux Jazz Festival but the second disc contains a full club performance from the London Hard Rock Cafe and lots of bonus footage. It's from the Rapture Of The Deep tour.

The performance is proof that this is no "dinosaur band", they could blow many people half their age from the stage. The jazz intro they wrote for Smoke On The Water is brilliant.

Tracklist for the Montreux performance:
1- Pictures Of Home
2- Things I Never Said
3- Strange Kind of Woman
4-Rapture Of The Deep
5- Wrong Man
6- The Well - Dressed Guitar
7- Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye
8- When A Blind Man Cries
9- Lazy
10- Keyboard Solo
11- Space Truckin'
12- Highway Star
13- Smoke On The Water
14- Hush
15-Too Much Fun
16- Black Night

The lineup: Ian Gillan, Steve Morse, Roger Glover, Don Airey, Ian Paice.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 12:13 pm

detuned wrote:
Deep Purple... - Page 2 519x0br-yaL._SL500_AA240_

If any of you Deep Purple fans don't own this one yet...BUY IT! It's only $14.99 on Amazon and not only features their amazing set at the 2006 Montreux Jazz Festival but the second disc contains a full club performance from the London Hard Rock Cafe and lots of bonus footage. It's from the Rapture Of The Deep tour.

The performance is proof that this is no "dinosaur band", they could blow many people half their age from the stage. The jazz intro they wrote for Smoke On The Water is brilliant.

Tracklist for the Montreux performance:
1- Pictures Of Home
2- Things I Never Said
3- Strange Kind of Woman
4-Rapture Of The Deep
5- Wrong Man
6- The Well - Dressed Guitar
7- Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye
8- When A Blind Man Cries
9- Lazy
10- Keyboard Solo
11- Space Truckin'
12- Highway Star
13- Smoke On The Water
14- Hush
15-Too Much Fun
16- Black Night

The lineup: Ian Gillan, Steve Morse, Roger Glover, Don Airey, Ian Paice.

I just got that on CD last weekend. Awesome, even though the cd has a few less songs than the DVD. I am planning on grabbing that on DVD soon as I have 7 live DP CD's and no DVD's. Peace.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 9:01 am

I listened to The Very Best Of Deep Purple last night and must say that I am hooked. I will definatly be getting some Deep Purple albums in the near future. Any suggestions are welcome. I know Perfect Strangers is one to get, but with so many to choose from I could use some guidence.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 9:10 am

My suggestions (in order): In Rock, Machine Head, Made In Japan, Fireball, Burn, Stormbringer, Perfect Strangers, Bananas, Rapture of the Deep
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 9:12 am

spectrefate wrote:
My suggestions (in order): In Rock, Machine Head, Made In Japan, Fireball, Burn, Stormbringer, Perfect Strangers, Bananas, Rapture of the Deep

Thanks. cool
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 9:33 am

spiritoradio wrote:
Machine Head all the way!!! Fantastic from front to back. I might even go as far as to say, perfect album?

yeah, what spiritoradio said.

I really like all of the Deep Purple albums, they are all good. The mkII lineup is my favorite. Each lineup brought a change, but the sound remained Deep Purple. The Coverdale days were good and I am a big Whitesnake fan, but still favor Gillan for DP. Turner worked well even with the strong Rainbow influence. I guess my least favorite DP release is Stormbringer. Machine Head and In Rock are regular plays for me. Steve Morse stepped it up a notch and the band sounds great. Steve managed to keep the Blackmore influence and yet bring his own sound and style to the band, really, just listen to Bananas.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 9:44 am

I am huge Deep Purple fan boy, here are my suggestions:

Machine Head
In Rock
Fireball
Burn
Perfect Strangers
Come Taste the Band
and finally Purpendicular

for live albums : Made In Japan

I am happy you discovered one of metal's founding fathers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 10:02 am

Spec and manny are steering you in the right direction.

Make sure you get the remastered versions of these albums, Roger Glover has done a fantastic job of remastering these and they all contain bonus tracks.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:18 am

I like the Roger Glover mix a little better for Machine Head.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
AngelRipper16
Metal novice
Metal novice
AngelRipper16

Number of posts : 99

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 6:20 pm

The only album by them I ever owned was a some sort of compilation. "Knocking At Your backdoor" is a great song and was one of the stand-outs on that CD. I think I would like these kinds of platters better if they were made ten years later with more punch. I know they are all classics but I'm a fan of good production.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 11:08 pm

AngelRipper16 wrote:
The only album by them I ever owned was a some sort of compilation. "Knocking At Your backdoor" is a great song and was one of the stand-outs on that CD. I think I would like these kinds of platters better if they were made ten years later with more punch. I know they are all classics but I'm a fan of good production.

If they had been ten years later, metal would have a radically different history. There is a reason why Deep Purple along with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are consider the foundations of heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
AngelRipper16
Metal novice
Metal novice
AngelRipper16

Number of posts : 99

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 5:00 am

manny wrote:
AngelRipper16 wrote:

If they had been ten years later, metal would have a radically different history. There is a reason why Deep Purple along with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are consider the foundations of heavy metal.

Yeah, I know this, it's just a personal taste. And I definetely agree on the history thing. Imagine what Metal would have been today if Black Sabbath hadn't recorded their self-titled debut until 1980...
surprised
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 3:26 pm

EMI Records have confirmed the release of special anniversary editions of Deep Purple’s classic album Stormbringer on CD, with an accompanying DVD, and vinyl LPs.
The Stormbringer reissues are due to hit the stores on February 23, 2009.
Stormbringer features the MK III Deep Purple line-up of David Coverdale (vocals), Glenn Hughes (vocals and bass), Ritchie Blackmore (guitar), Ian Paice (drums) and Jon Lord (keyboards).
Recorded in Musicland Studios, Munich and released in 1974, Stormbringer is the Deep Purple album that often doesn’t sound like a Deep Purple album. Although considered proponents of the hard rock genre, as hinted at on previous album, Burn, Stormbringer saw the band create a more funk and soul-influenced sound.
Owing to the direction of Stormbringer, it was to be Blackmore’s last studio album with the MK III line-up. He left to form Rainbow, making way for the MK IV version of Deep Purple, with American Tommy Bolin on guitar.
CD Tracklisting:
1. Stormbringer
2. Love Don’t Mean a Thing
3. Holy Man
4. Hold On
5. Lady Double Dealer
6. You Can’t Do It Right
7. High Ball Shooter
8. The Gypsy
9. Soldier of Fortune
Bonus Tracks:
10. Holy Man (Glenn Hughes remix)
11. You Can’t Do It Right (Glenn Hughes remix)
12. Love Don’t Mean a Thing (Glenn Hughes remix)
13. Hold On (Glenn Hughes remix)
14. High Ball Shooter (instrumental) 4.30 (from Listen Learn Read On Box Set)
DVD:
The DVD features an original Quadraphonic mix album as 5.1 DTS 96/24 and the original album Quadrophonic mix stereo 48/24 with on screen images.
2-LP Tracklisting:
Side 1 (remasters)
Stormbringer 4.03
Love Don’t Mean A Thing 4.24
Holy Man 4.37
Hold On 5.08
Side 2 (remasters)
Lady Double Dealer 3.17
You Can’t Do It Right 3.25
High Ball Shooter 4.24
The Gypsy 4.10
Soldier Of Fortune 3.12
Side 3 (remixes)
Holy Man 4.38
You Can’t Do It Right 3.53
Love Don’t Mean A Thing 5.21
Hold On 5.23
Side 4
High Ball Shooter (instrumental) 4.30
High Ball Shooter (quad) 4.24
You Can’t Do It Right (quad) 3.25
Soldier Of Fortune (quad) 3.12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Believe it or not, Stormbringer is the only Deep Purple album I've never owned. The only song I've heard is the title track.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 4:52 pm

"Stormbringer" is a medicore album from Deep Purple, Blackmore is pushing them to remain a metal/hard rock band , while David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes are pushing them to to be the rock world's answer to Stevie wonder.

Aside from a few tracks, it is an album lacking any direction and it is easy to see why Ritchie Blackmore jumped ship, the next album with Tommy Bolin " Come taste the Band" was a major improvement.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:57 am

Interesting story, I personally do not believe a reunion of Mark III line up is ever going to happen for two reasons 1) Legally the name Deep Purple is tied up and legally owned by Mark II line up (that would include Blackmore and Lord who are no longer in the band) and their management. 2) Blackmore has had no interest in playing hard rock/metal in years and says he is happy playing renaissance music while dressed as an cast member of 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights" but it sounds like an interesting idea, anyway here is the news story.

Metalica drummer Lars Ulrich has offered his services to members of the Deep Purple Mk III lineup should they decide to go ahead with a proposed reunion tour.

In separate interviews for February edition of Classic Rock magazine (issue No.128), David Coverdale (vocals), Glenn Hughes (bass, vocals) and Jon Lord (keyboards) have all intimated they would be up for playing together again, and all parties have recently been in contact with Ritchie Blackmore (guitar).

In fact, the only block to the band reforming could be Ian Paice, who, as a member of the current Deep Purple, would probably find it difficult and uncomfortable to get involved.

Enter Lars Ulrich, a hardcore Deep Purple fan who was fortunate enough to see Purple's Mk III lineup at the band's first show, at the KB Hallen in Copenhagen in 1973.

"I know there's talk about the fact that if they got Coverdale, Hughes, Lord and Blackmore together, they would have four members who aren't in the current Deep Purple — then they just need a drummer. I'll volunteer myself for that," Ulrich laughed. "If they need a drummer, David Coverdale has my number."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:03 pm

Why can't old bands just stay home and stop reforming? I'm tired of this crap. First that stupid Heaven and Hell thing and now this. Yuck.

Unlike most drummers, Paice is too much a part of DP's sound. I think Lars would Smurf it up.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:05 pm

I like the Mark III line up of Deep Purple, but I feel the current incarnation of the band is doing just fine and have made some excellent albums so we have no need for a reunion of a Coverdale led Deep Purple line up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:06 pm

manny wrote:
I like the Mark III line up of Deep Purple, but I feel the current incarnation of the band is doing just fine and have made some excellent albums so we have no need for a reunion of a Coverdale led Deep Purple line up.

I agree. I don't care much for Steve Morse, frankly. But Don Airey fits in quite nicely.

Now if Blackmore would put down the pan flute and come back, I'd be all over that. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:09 pm

I'm enjoying the current Deep Purple lineup too much to be interested in this. I'll be happy with a follow-up to Rapture Of The Deep.

*edit - I also think Steve Morse was a blessing for this band, he re-focused them into writing as a group (because when Blackmore is involved he won't let anyone else write) and brought in quite a few stylistic elements that expanded their vocabulary as a band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:26 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Why can't old bands just stay home and stop reforming? I'm tired of this crap. First that stupid Heaven and Hell thing and now this. Yuck.

Unlike most drummers, Paice is too much a part of DP's sound. I think Lars would Smurf it up.

If they're just doing a tour and playing the old hits, I don't see how Lars could mess it up too bad if he's just mimicing the original. If they're talking about new recordings, then that's a whole different kettle of lute fish. Would they have to come up with a different band name, like Deeper Purple or something?

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:29 pm

They would call themselves "The Highway Stars" or something equally faggy and then I would blow my head off.

It would be a very tragic turn of events if this happens. People's lives hang in the balance.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:38 pm

At least Black Sabbath (I refuse to call it Heaven and Hell) are recording a new studio album unlike every other reunion which are really just a cash grab tours.

I am sure they would call it The Storm Bringers" just to make Spec's life more diffcult and give them even a g ayer name then 'The Highway Stars"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deep Purple...
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next