Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question about the Christian metal industry

Go down 
+21
SideShowDisaSter
Jedilink
bgast1
arttieTHE1manparty
Todd Jaymz
SAHB Healer
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
mc666
stepcousin
sovdat
GrandNational
Wargod
AchrisK
thejokeriv
Thrasher73
kmorg
scottmitchell74
Required Fields
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

Question about the Christian metal industry Empty
PostSubject: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 12:02 pm

I am not a Christian, but I do know that many people who post here are Christian. This is not intended to be remotely anti-Christian.

I do know that Scott said that for a number of years, he only listened to Christian metal bands, and no secular metal bands at all (which he says he now regrets). Are the musicians/fans like this as well? I do know some that are in Christian metal bands that even like some "black metal" bands. So what percentage of the fans/musicians are like Scott used to be?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 1:26 pm

I used to be like that when I first started listening to metal, but as I aged and matured in my faith, I came to realize that it's not the music so much as the listener. I had to figure out what I could handle lyrically so as to not be affected mentally/spiritually. I peaked a few years ago allowing myself to listen to just about anything save purely, overtly satanic stuff. Now, I've scaled back some to also get rid of bands with a lot of cussing in their music. That's more a personal thing as I notice those words creeping into my thoughts if I hear them repeated constantly in music.
The end result is that 2/3 - 3/4 of my music collection is secular, but I avoid bands like Deicide, 1349, Marilyn Manson due to lyrical content and, unfortunately, bands like Minor Threat (who I love!!) because every other word is F*#! this and G-D that and so on....
I appreciate bands who make spectacular music and don't feel the need to have swear words all through it. One or two here and there isn't a problem, it's when it's pervasive that I can't stand it. I find that the Euro metal scene does a good job of this and it seems like a lot of US metal bands have this 'need' to cuss - like it makes them tough or something....

Good question!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Hard to say, but I'd say that most of us also listen to secular music. There are still many of us (probably the majority) that try to stay clear of the overtly Satanic stuff. But where one draws the line is very individual, and some even listens to everything. There is no "rule", just personal convictions.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 2:05 pm

You know, kmorg, you make a good point. As far as most of the religious types who listen to metal are concerned, most of them do like some secular stuff, although the percentage of secular to Christian tends to vary. As far as "Satan/occultism" goes, from the ones I've met, most of them don't mind a little mention of occult related stuff and mentions of Satan, but definitely tend to shy away from it if it has "too much" of it. This is what I've gathered. "A little...OK. Too much...stay away" seems to be the consensus.

Last edited by on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 2:10 pm

I was like Ult, when I became a christian I got rid of all my secular music.I also regret it because I have since bought alot of it back.I have learned that its just entertainment,no different than watching a movie or T.V show.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 3:25 pm

I got rid of all my "secular" music also - something I now reget. At the time, it was the thing to do - you became a christian, got rid of all your "secular" music. I wish I hadn't now, and have bought most of it back. Funny thing now is I don't buy any of the "new" christian metal cause I don't like the bands! I picked up the new Stryper and can't wait for the new Deliverance.

I'll listen to anything - as long my kids aren't in the car with me (4 & 2) - don't need them repeating bad lyrics as they like to sing.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 4:37 pm

In 1988 I became a Christian and got rid of all my secular stuff. Like Thejoker said, it was kinda the thing you do back in the day. Maybe it still is. I don't know. But I do not regret it because it probably helped me separate from my old mentality to some degree. I listened to Christian metal only from then until about 1994. I missed a lot of the metal scene during that time. I regret that to some degree. It's like I have a gap in my metal history, and I still have catching up to do. But I knew everything going on in the Christian metal scene. It was during that time, in the limited Christian metal scene that I got into Death and Black Metal.

Now I am probably one of the more liberal Christian listeners. Logically I see no difference between the secularism in the lyrics of Dream Theater and those of Deicide. Neither has a Christian worldview, and in that they are equal. But asthetically there are things that I guess I prefer not to hear. I think sex-gore sadistic stuff is among my least favorite. I don't have lines drawn. I usually make decisions on individual releases. Also, I usually never read or care about lyrics, so I may have stuff now that I might get rid of if I read the lyrics. Not sure about that.

ack
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 5:34 pm

You know, just because you change your religious beliefs doesn't mean you can't listen to non-Christian related stuff (the opposite is also true, I even know atheists who like Stryper). I am going to compare religious beliefs with political related stuff here. A liberal can enjoy and appreciate conservative related stuff, and vice versa.

Also, look at the point I made with religious metal fans and occult lyrics, a point to add to it. One thing I have noticed is that in the Christian metal industry, the "less preachy" ones are usually the ones that endure "secular" popularity as well, while the "God this, Jesus that, Lord the other thing" bands are mainly just popular with the religious metal types. Just like all types of religious music, actually.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 6:16 pm

I like some christian metal but most of what I listen to is secular in nature. To me it's all the same but others may disagree.

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 6:36 pm

It never really bothered me enough to sell back old cd's. I just always make sure the music is not overtly satanic or every other word is not the f word (thanks dark lyrics), and I'm pretty much set.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 6:58 pm

Required Fields wrote:
You know, just because you change your
religious beliefs doesn't mean you can't listen to non-Christian
related stuff (the opposite is also true, I even know atheists who like
Stryper). I am going to compare religious beliefs with political
related stuff here. A liberal can enjoy and appreciate conservative
related stuff, and vice versa.

Also, look at the point I made
with religious metal fans and occult lyrics, a point to add to it. One
thing I have noticed is that in the Christian metal industry, the "less
preachy" ones are usually the ones that endure "secular" popularity as
well, while the "God this, Jesus that, Lord the other thing" bands are
mainly just popular with the religious metal types. Just like all types
of religious music, actually.

I pay more attention to the quality of the writings than the point of
view. There are Christian bands with lyrics I can really dig (and I'm
an atheist - Tourniquet on Where Moth and Rust Destroy for instance)
and there are bands with satanic attempt, imagery, etc., with lyrics
that I really dig.

Don't like the over-preachy Christian lyrics, and I never will.
However, on the other hand, I gotta admit that I really love Venom or
Hobbs' Angel of Death lyrics - just hilarious :-)
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 5:52 am

Im a christain but i dont regret getting rid of all my secular at all cuz thats what I neede to do at the time. Ive since gotten into some secualr but nothing overly hedonistic(i.e.sexually pervasive, promoting drug/alcohol abuse, or "hell aint a bad place to be" type stuff, rebellion against authority and or parents or songs that glamorize/promote/or rejoice in sinful things or lifestyles.). yes it may be limiting and some people may scoff at it but its what I chose to listen to so Im ok with it. nothing against anyone who does listen to that form of music, its a big world out there and enough room for all of us to enjoy life.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 7:45 am

when i became an athiest, i gave away all my Michael W. Smith & Amy Grant albums. if only i had kept them all. Crying or Very sad

Laughing very hard

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 9:01 am

Quote :
when i became an athiest, i gave away all my Michael W. Smith
& Amy Grant albums. if only i had kept them all.

That's awesome. "Line of the day" award goes to mc66! haha
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2007 11:27 am

No offense to anyone here, but if I had joined a church that told me I should get rid of all my "secular" metal and that I should only listen to Christian stuff, I would've looked for a different church. Mind you, I have nothing against Christian metal at all, I listen to tons of it, but I just never bought into the idea that if I dared to put on a Metallica or Judas Priest CD, that Satan would be somewhere cackling and rubbing his hands together saying "Woo hoo, I got ANOTHER one!"

When I was growing up I got booted out of a Sunday school class one day when the instructor started going on about the evils of rock-n-roll. I started laughing when she went into the classic B.S. stories about AC/DC being initials for "Anti-Christ/Devil's Child" and KISS standing for "Knights (or Kids) In Satan's Service," that Ozzy killed kittens/puppies on stage, etc., etc. When she asked me what was so funny, I said "You are. I'm sorry, but those stories are pure bull." Naturally, I was asked to leave. They didn't find it very funny when I showed up for class the next week wearing my Motley Crue T-shirt with "Allister Fiend" on the front either.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2007 2:32 pm

Well Freddy, no church told me to do what I did when I got rid of my secular records. I will agree that that was probably the prevailing mindset, but nobody told me anything. Yes, it may have come from my bacground and upbringing, including influences from past experiences in church, but it was my decision. It also was not the fear of summoning demons or being damned for listening to secular metal. It was more that I felt the need to eliminate negative influences. Most honest metalheads who really got into it would have to admit that the whole evil imageray was an influence in their life to some degree. Obviously some more than others, and for me it was not huge, but it was there. My life was changing in a major way, and that was part of it. Now I feel my life is much less influenced by my music (though maybe not entirely untouched), so it's not an issue.

I agree that there is untrue propaganda repeated and spread around in "the church" by Christians, regarding a multitude of issues. Some who repeat them are well-meaning and some not, but it is a problem. So I am not arguing that.

ack
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2007 12:45 pm

I mainly listen to secular metal but also some Christian metal at times.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 4:59 pm

mc666 wrote:
when i became an athiest, i gave away all my Michael W. Smith & Amy Grant albums. if only i had kept them all. Crying or Very sad

Laughing very hard

LOL! I wonder if that is true of some atheism converts.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 11:10 pm

Ther were times in my past that i got rid of almost all my secular metal cd's because i thought they were a stumbling block to my faith but then i would miss the cd's and spend a ton of money getting them back. OUCH!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 11:19 pm

troublezone wrote:
Ther were times in my past that i got rid of almost all my secular metal cd's because i thought they were a stumbling block to my faith but then i would miss the cd's and spend a ton of money getting them back. OUCH!
no offense, but that is the price you pay for making hasty decisions. ones faith would have to be pretty weak to be challenged by a music cd.

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 11:43 pm

mc666 wrote:
troublezone wrote:
no offense, but that is the price you pay for making hasty decisions. ones faith would have to be pretty weak to be challenged by a music cd.

Very good point MC666. Totally agree.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 12:08 am

I am in no way religious. I believe in the possibilities of all things, thus I cannot believe in just one thing. With that said, some of my favorite bands are Christian bands. I don't care one bit that they're Christian. I know this isn't what you asked, but it's sort of the flipside of the coin.

I also don't like ridiculously hateful bands, nor do I like ridiculously Christian bands (i.e. too preachy). I can handle positive or negative lyrics, but there is a point where it's simply too much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 1:50 am

Required Fields wrote:
You know, just because you change your religious beliefs doesn't mean you can't listen to non-Christian related stuff (the opposite is also true, I even know atheists who like Stryper). I am going to compare religious beliefs with political related stuff here. A liberal can enjoy and appreciate conservative related stuff, and vice versa.

Also, look at the point I made with religious metal fans and occult lyrics, a point to add to it. One thing I have noticed is that in the Christian metal industry, the "less preachy" ones are usually the ones that endure "secular" popularity as well, while the "God this, Jesus that, Lord the other thing" bands are mainly just popular with the religious metal types. Just like all types of religious music, actually.

I dig Christian metal depsite the "Christian" tagged on. Metal is metal, music is music. That's my mentality.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 7:48 am

It wasn't because my faith was weak i got rid of them because i didn't like excessive cussing or praise of evil. What i missed was the music so i just bought back some of the cd's mainly just the ones that didn't bother me as much lyrically.
Let me ask you something : Lets say you really liked a band's music but the lyrics preached about God would you be offended by that? If you owned the cd would you keep it? Please answer honestly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 am

troublezone wrote:
It wasn't because my faith was weak i got rid of them because i didn't like excessive cussing or praise of evil. What i missed was the music so i just bought back some of the cd's mainly just the ones that didn't bother me as much lyrically.
Let me ask you something : Lets say you really liked a band's music but the lyrics preached about God would you be offended by that? If you owned the cd would you keep it? Please answer honestly.

I know I'm not the person your asking but I couldn't resist not answering... I would keep it but it would be hard to listen to unless it was death/black metal done in death growls and grunts so I couldn't understand the lyrics. Hearing lyrics like, for example, "Oh Jesus help me," sung clearly just disconnect me from the music. I feel like I can no longer connect to it but that would not stop me from owning the CD. I could probably get used to it though and learn to enjoy it. That's just me... hope I didn't offend anyone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about the Christian metal industry   Question about the Christian metal industry Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about the Christian metal industry
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next