Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Power of Metal

Go down 
+12
TrogDawn
Tall Tyrion
Hamer12
Lurideath
kmorg
MoonChild
scottmitchell74
EvyMetal
T-Roy
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
caniplaywithmadness?
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 10:21 am

I may be wrong, but isn't metal a stronger genre today then it ever has been? My point of reference is the 80's metal scene in America. When I was a teen, metal was pretty strong in America. But it seems like it is stronger now. There aren't a million pop metal bands, but the number of "mainstream" and underground bands is just staggering. From what I understand, metal has always been pretty strong in Europe and Japan. But now it is huge everywhere, and seems like it just happened when no one was watching.
What factors do you think have influenced this world dominance of metal these days?
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 10:25 am

the internets a major factor. i wouldn't know half the bands i know if it wasn't for the computer. then the bands have the cheek to moan about it.......
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 10:40 am

Quote :
What factors do you think have influenced this world dominance of metal these days?

Me. I tell people "Listen to metal" then smack them upside the head.
Back to top Go down

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 10:44 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Me. I tell people "Listen to metal" then smack them upside the head.

...with your spork. Smile
The Power of Metal 67-45
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 10:46 am

I was thinking about this the other day.With the new wave of old school metal bands,it seems like the scene is growing at a staggering rate.I think the internet really helps bands get their name out there.
Back to top Go down

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 10:53 am

Quote :
I think the internet really helps bands get their name out there.

Absolutely.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 10:56 am

Yeah, I agree B-man. Metal seems huge today, which I find very cool. Yes it was huge back in the day, but now, its identity seems a little more refined and the genre is so vast and widespread in styles! I think it's great. I don't enjoy all of it, but It's awesome for sure.

I think more than the internet (which is a part of it for sure) its the availability of software and equipment in the last 15 years or so that's allowed more potential musicians to record and practice and develop. It's amazing what a talented musician can do in the confines of his own (non-sound proofed) house with a personal computer, guitar, keyboard..etc. So to me, it's more advancements and price reductions in technology and the arrival of the "modern" home computer and the software advancements that followed.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 11:02 am

Personally, being a teen in today's high schools, there aren't too many metal fans. At first, there were just me and a couple of friends. Now that I'm a senior there are about 15 kids that listen to the Metal not just 4. Doesn't sound like much, but when theres 15 kids dressed in Metal gear, it gets intimidatin'.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 11:08 am

lol! 🤘
Back to top Go down

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 11:14 am

EvyMetal wrote:
Personally, being a teen in today's high schools, there aren't too many metal fans. At first, there were just me and a couple of friends. Now that I'm a senior there are about 15 kids that listen to the Metal not just 4. Doesn't sound like much, but when theres 15 kids dressed in Metal gear, it gets intimidatin'.

When I was in High school (way back in the late 80's/early 90's) EVERYONE seemed to have a rock shirt on of some sort such as Metallica or AC/DC. We even had a local department store that supplied Savatage Hall of the Mountain King T shirts for $8! I was the only one in my school with a BulletBoys shirt. Smile But it was easy to tell who was true metal and who wasn't. 99% of those people are Toby Keith fans these days.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 11:56 am

The WWW is the biggest reason, I believe.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 11:58 am

LONG LIVE METAL!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 12:30 pm

Metal was much bigger in the 80's. They got MTV play, were on the charts, and sold out arenas. Only the classic bands from that genre can say that is the case today, if you overlook the core crap, that is. (To me that is not metal). The bands of today, that started in the 90's, or this new millenium, are not as big as most of the bands during the 80's, and are still considered underground.

Besides music isn't selling like it used to. People steal music online, and the only chance for a band to really make it today is through touring.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:20 pm

There are a shitload of bands this day in age, but Kmorg is right. The only chance for a band to really make it today is through touring and merchandise. It is still growing though.

There are more bands now than there were in the 80's, but attendance at shows and such is still low when comparing the 2 era's.
Back to top Go down

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Lurideath wrote:
There are more bands now than there were in the 80's, but attendance at shows and such is still low when comparing the 2 era's.

This kills me. I know you're right, as you and AOB are in the thick of the scene. But why don't fans go to see shows?

Personally, I just never know when a show is coming around here. I live in the Tampa Florida area and I'm sure there are a buttload of shows. There's a missing link and I don't know what it is. Could it be poor promotion?
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:36 pm

People eventually get tired of being spoon fed crap music to listen to & rebel against it. You will NEVER here 3/4 of the bands mentioned here on this forum on the radio EVER. Let the sheep have their pop & nu-metal emo crap & keep the good stuff underground where it has always been so we wont have any more Metallica incedents on our hands. Mainstream + Money = St Anger. Dont ever forget it.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:38 pm

well, GOOD DAY to you too!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:59 pm

I'm with Kmorg, metal was way bigger in the 80's than it is now. Sure,
a lot of those were "fans" who went on to the next fad when it came
along, but bottom line is they were buying the albums and going to the
shows, so bands could make more at it.

Then again, bands get a lot more exposure on the internet now, and the
underground scene can network a lot better on boards and MySpace so
today's scene has it's advantages as well.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 2:00 pm

Hamer12 is right though.Once things enter the mainstream and the almighty dollar starts to fade their original vision it becomes crap.I prefer metal to stay underground.
Back to top Go down

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 2:01 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Once things enter the mainstream and the almighty dollar starts to fade their original vision it becomes crap.

*coughmegadethcough*
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 2:01 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Personally, I think it's the proliferation and normalization of the practice of corprophagia - due to ease of access on the internet. The Power of Metal 309780
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 2:06 pm

sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick

I prefer corprolites which are easy to carry and don't get you all stenched up. Non-edible as well!!
Back to top Go down

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 2:07 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
corprophagia

That's the HOM Word of the Day. Before you posted it, I was on Wikipedia reading about it. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 2:14 pm

In a weird kind of way, I think part of the resurgeance could come in part from the "Hot Topic"-bands (avengend sevenfold, trivium, etc.) that wear the Maiden and Sabbath t-shirts. If your a fan of those bands, you may be inclined to check out the bands that your band likes.

I'm pretty out of touch when it comes to what teens are listening to these days, so I'm just speculating. I do agree with the others that say metal will never achive the level of popularity or profitablilty as it did in the 80's. That was a golden time that we'll never see again.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 2:17 pm

80s metal annihilates today's scene, in terms of quality. Not even close.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Power of Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Power of Metal   The Power of Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Power of Metal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next