Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal

Go down 
+12
MetallicSeminarian
Thrasher73
mc666
Alex Dee Rokket
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
corplhicks
Dark Horseman
Lari
Orion Crystal Ice
Boris2008
Wolf_Hauts
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolf_Hauts
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 1

The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Empty
PostSubject: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 3:58 pm

This is something I have thought about for a while!
I really dig US Power Metal from the 80s, and I consider it a stand alone subgenre of Metal...
So it seems fair to give this genre its own "THE BIG" 4,5 or what ever.
So what do you think?
Please don't list your bands that you like over bands that actually made an influence... what we should have is a short list of bands "Made" tha genre as much as the big for of Thrash.
And Guys, don't rule any band out for later mistakes... What I mean is that Metallica may have sold out, but they still own a place amongst the big 4 of Thrash.

Here are a few bands I would consider:

Omen,
Vicious Rumors,
Jag Panzer,
Helstar,
Metal Church,

Maybe Riot, but I wouldn't really classify them as US Power Metal

Well, let me see what u come up with!

/WH headbanger
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Armored Saint
Hellion

I don't really like the term though as a lot of these bands were just metal bands, I don't see what was so different about it that it needs yet another bloody genre.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 4:15 pm

well, Queensrÿche on their EP alone had more influence in ALL types of power metal than a couple of those named bands combined if you really want to get down to it. So that pretty much needs to be on there.

Armored Saint is a good choice, and then Helstar, Metal Church, Jag Panzer.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 4:16 pm

US Power Metal never even had a big "one", so what's with 4 all of a sudden?

I'd say the best bands would include stuff like Armored Saint, Jag Panzer, Metal Church and how about Savatage, but none of them really broke through to the mainstream like thrash bands did.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Metal Church defines it and vies to be my favorite band
Armored Saint
Vicious Rumors
And Iced Earth as a late entry.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Forgive me, and I've only heard them up to Human Factor, but I always considered Metal Church a thrash band with a thick power slant. Same with Vicious Rumors. Don't hate me...

I would say:

Helloween (not a fan but they are elemental)
Iced Earth
Hammerfall
Armored Saint
Rhapsody? I honestly can't stand what little I've heard of them but they are massive amongst power metal fans.

Jag Panzer is also a f*cking sweet band to add...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 7:30 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Forgive me, and I've only heard them up to Human Factor, but I always considered Metal Church a thrash band with a thick power slant. Same with Vicious Rumors. Don't hate me...

I would say:

Iced Earth
Hammerfall
Armored Saint
Rhapsody? I honestly can't stand what little I've heard of them but they are massive amongst power metal fans.

Think that you may have missed the part about U.S power metal.

I was a big thrash fan in the 80's, I was also a Metal Church fan, but I can honestly say that I never thought of them as thrash. Helloween, maybe but not MC
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I would say:

Iced Earth
Hammerfall
Armored Saint

Think that you may have missed the part about U.S power metal.

I was a big thrash fan in the 80's, I was also a Metal Church fan, but I can honestly say that I never thought of them as thrash. Helloween, maybe but not MC

Yeah, I f*cked up and missed the US bit. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 8:55 pm

METAL CHURCH
QUEENSRYCHE
FATES WARNING
SAVATAGE
HELSTAR

Honorable Mention: WARLORD
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 9:05 pm

Savatage would be a number 5 for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

I don't really like the term though as a lot of these bands were just metal bands, I don't see what was so different about it that it needs yet another bloody genre.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Metal Church
Jag Panzer
Vicious Rumors
Fifth Angel
Leatherwolf
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:44 pm

Leatherwolf. Good one.

So here's a corrected list:

Iced Earth
Armored Saint
Savatage
Jag Panzer
Leatherwolf (thank you witchfinder)
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 pm

How about Manowar?

Based on sales and popularity in Europe, they would probably be one of the biggest power metal bands from the US. Or do you not consider them power metal?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:10 pm

This really is a confusing genre.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 1:05 am

For me, definitely Manowar, Jag Panzer, Metal Church, Armored Saint, & Savatage. Meliah Rage would be another good candidate.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 9:20 am

Hard to pick 4 or 5 that had a huge impact but I'll play along

Helstar
Metal Church
Armored Saint
Fates Warning
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 9:38 am

Metal Church
Iced Earth

If I'm just picking favorites:

Rob Rock
Theocracy
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 9:49 am

Manowar
Savatage
Fates Warning
Queensryche

Considering the last three changed from USPM to more progressive music, possible replacements would be:

Metal Church
Manilla Road
Armored Saint
Vicious Rumors
Omen
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
METAL CHURCH
QUEENSRYCHE
FATES WARNING
SAVATAGE
HELSTAR

Honorable Mention: WARLORD

That would basically be my list as well, though in no particular order (outside of Metal Church being tops). Vicious Rumors would be nudging to get into the best 5 for me.

Corplhicks, I can understand your confusion to an extent. Metal Church, Helstar and Vicious Rumors all had songs that bordered on thrash metal at times. However, those songs didn't define their sound, only enhanced it. You couldn't point to any of their albums on the whole and say "that was thrash metal".

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 10:59 am

MetallicSeminarian wrote:

If I'm just picking favorites:

Theocracy

If I was picking favorites they would definitely make my list
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 11:06 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
METAL CHURCH
QUEENSRYCHE
FATES WARNING
SAVATAGE
HELSTAR

Replace Fates Warning w/Armored Saint and you've got my picks.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 11:47 am

It is confusing. I think of Theocracy and Rob Rock as more european pm. Meh, no biggie.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 pm

I hope nobody calls us USPM, just to piss off all the elitists. Cool
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:54 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:

Corplhicks, I can understand your confusion to an extent. Metal Church, Helstar and Vicious Rumors all had songs that bordered on thrash metal at times. However, those songs didn't define their sound, only enhanced it. You couldn't point to any of their albums on the whole and say "that was thrash metal".

I'm certainly not saying this is wrong in any way it's just the perception I grew up with, call it either a misconception or subjective claim. I Googled Metal Church and thrash and learned that I'm alone in my assessment but it's a small circle. Obviously their first album was a major influence for thrash metal, but to me it never changed, even when they delivered more melody and slowed things down. To me, they always had speed, aggression, technical precision, and a certain 'bite' that fit in with other bands of the genre. HOWEVER. I'm guessing their lack of punk attitude may lend it self toward a case for power metal status. Either way, they're a kickass band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal   The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Big 4/5... of US Power Metal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next