Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone Like Pentagram?

Go down 
+30
JBall_Z
ultmetal
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
candlemass
choosemetal
corplhicks
A Handful of Wayne
nevermore
7thSaviour
Lurideath
Andy
martinsane
Thrasher73
Leatherface
GrandNational
arachnoplasma
Wurthless
jstate
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
TH Joe
TrogDawn
SAHB Healer
SideShowDisaSter
mc666
Troublezone
spiritoradio
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Anyone Like Pentagram? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2007 1:50 am

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this group. They were a Doom Metal group in the same vein as Black Sabbath. They were from Virginia and released a few albums in the early 80's through 2004, but recorded music from as far back as 1972. I have never heard anyone talk about them on this board, but I thought that I could maybe turn some people on to them. Check the link below for more info, if anyone is interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram_%28band%29
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2007 4:36 am

I like 'em. I'm big into doom and early metal. Their former guitarist Victor Griffen is in Place of Skulls, another killer band.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2007 5:18 am

Oh yeah, i'm sure the greater percentage of people here love Pentagram. i sure do.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2007 5:07 pm

An excellent band, but I think that when it comes to Sabbath-influenced NWOBHM stuff, Witchfinder General are my favorites. Both are great though.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2007 5:09 pm

I bought a "new release" of an lost album by a band called Bedemon, called "Child of Darkness". It's basically Pentagram right before Pentagram, it's pretty sweet, a bit raw in the production but, I definitely recommend that along with Pentagram's "First Daze Here", and "First Daze Here Too" if your into the Doom Metal.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2007 5:32 pm

I almost thought someone was actually posting about the Turkish band of the same name! The Turk band started out as awesome blazing thrash, and then went into some kind of wierd ethnic-based power/prog metal and changed their name to Mezarkabul or something like that.

Never been a big fan of doom, so I wasn't ever into the Pentagram mentioned here.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2007 6:41 pm

I was disappointed in First Daze, as I expected something like Bang or Buffalo (other doom pioneers). But their comeback stuff from the 80's and "Be Forwarned" is awesome. A little uneven, because they rehashed a few songs, but very good.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2007 11:05 pm

Yup, I do. Anyone Like Pentagram? 309780
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
TH Joe
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
TH Joe

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 2:18 am

I have a compilation of their early stuff. It sounds exactly like Sabbath. So I dig it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:26 pm

Just picked up Last Rites, the album that marks the return of Victor Griffin...and it's a KILLER record, anybody who enjoys slow and heavy jams should pick this up.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:34 pm

I need to grab it too...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Heard of them, but don't really know them, aside from maybe a song or 2. I should probably remedy that.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:52 pm

S.D. wrote:
Just picked up Last Rites, the album that marks the return of Victor Griffin...and it's a KILLER record, anybody who enjoys slow and heavy jams should pick this up.

Agree!!!! I saw them last year, great show!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Loves me some Pentagram. I just got Last Rites too. Haven't spun it yet.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Thing I really love about Pentagram is they write such great songs. The writing does it for me. Their lyrics and turns of phrases always gets me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Spotify has a good selection of Pentagram albums for those curious about them.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 5:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Heard of them, but don't really know them, aside from maybe a song or 2. I should probably remedy that.

This is basically where I am as well. I've now got 2 of their albums (Day of Reckoning and Relentless) ready to listen to later on Spotify.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 7:53 pm

S.D. wrote:

I really enjoyed that album. I was surprised to read a lot of negative reviews of it online. Then again I guess that's how it always is whenever any semi-legendary band puts out a new record. I think it has some very good songs on it and "Call the Man" is insanely catchy.

Admittedly, I still need to finish collecting Pentagram albums, but I do like a lot of the stuff on the First Daze Here comp, and Relentless and Be Forewarned are both pretty enjoyable records. I like most everything I've heard at least.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:26 pm

One of my favorite bands of all-time
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18960

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:09 pm

Sure do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:09 am

Pentagram has always been my favorite doom band.Last Rites is a great album.Also love Griffins Place of Skulls.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 am

I like them. My introduction was a double disc that came out recently, can't recall the title (something about Daze???)

Anywho good stuff and the double disc packaginig was really heavy in the history of the group so it is/was a good starter for a newbie to the group.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:53 am

martinsane wrote:
I like them. My introduction was a double disc that came out recently, can't recall the title (something about Daze???)

Anywho good stuff and the double disc packaginig was really heavy in the history of the group so it is/was a good starter for a newbie to the group.

First Daze Here
Anyone Like Pentagram? 61eVxSg-EvL._SL500_AA300_
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Great band. Relentless is a brilliant album. Virginia's doom scene was a bit overlooked since it's kind of obscure, but Pentagram helped get it on the map.

Also their new record, Last Rites is absolutely killer. Vintage sounding.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:56 pm

S.D. wrote:
martinsane wrote:

First Daze Here
Anyone Like Pentagram? 61eVxSg-EvL._SL500_AA300_

Close it's actually: First Daze Here Too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Like Pentagram?   Anyone Like Pentagram? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone Like Pentagram?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next