Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CDS you bought knowing nothing about....

Go down 
+14
kmorg
mc666
stepcousin
Thrasher73
Tall Tyrion
DallasBlack
Wargod
SideShowDisaSter
exact33
krokus
sovdat
thejokeriv
Smindas
scottmitchell74
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 3:16 am

i do this all of the time, ever since i was a kid. i take chances based on the bands name or cover art or song titles. sometimes it's a hit, other times a miss. it's always an adventure though.

PostSubject: Extol-Burial   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 7:46 am

I was quite fortunate in 1999 to have stumbled across this gem while rummaging through the rock (as the management didn't deign to file this under a black/prog/technical metal category) section of a local Christian bookstore's CD aisles. I wasn't yet aware of the Solid State label, was intrigued by the album cover, and was persuaded to give the album a try when I looked at the back cover and thought that the members looked like they might possibly play music that I liked, which is to say that they looked like stereotypical metal musicians. And in this case, the (positive) stereotype proved correct.

Needless to say, I'm glad I took a chance in this instance.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 8:09 am

Deadly Ramon wrote:
I was quite fortunate in 1999 to have stumbled across this gem while rummaging through the rock (as the management didn't deign to file this under a black/prog/technical metal category) section of a local Christian bookstore's CD aisles. I wasn't yet aware of the Solid State label, was intrigued by the album cover, and was persuaded to give the album a try when I looked at the back cover and thought that the members looked like they might possibly play music that I liked, which is to say that they looked like stereotypical metal musicians. And in this case, the (positive) stereotype proved correct.

did you forget to tell us what the artist and album was?

Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 8:33 am

kmorg wrote:
Deadly Ramon wrote:

did you forget to tell us what the artist and album was?
he put it in the subject area of the post... Extol's Burial.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 12:42 pm

These days, it's so much easier to hear clips on the internet, so I have an idea before I buy. But "back in the day", tons of my purchases were made based solely on band's name, cool album cover or a friend's recommendation. Also, most of my purchases made at used shops, they let you hear it before you buy.

But occasionaly I'll still make a blind purchase, just for sh*ts & giggles.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 12:46 pm

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

I actually got it through BMG's featured selection and I accidentally opened it. I loved it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 12:41 pm

I haven't done a "blind purchase" in a while but for a brief period in the late 90s I did quite a lot of it. I wasn't hooked up to the Internet yet and of course "my" kind of music wasn't getting any radio or video play so I had no way to hear new bands before purchasing CDs. However I did read a LOT of metal magazines (both pro and underground 'zines) and if I read an article/review of a band that I thought sounded promising, I'd pick up the CD. I got into a lot of the late 90s power metal that way, never hearing a note of the band beforehand, i.e. HammerFall, Primal Fear, Iron Savior, etc., etc. Occasionally I'd "hit a land mine" but fortunately my batting average was pretty good in those days.

Now that I think about it, the first Iced Earth album was a "blind purchase" for me. I saw the CD (still sealed, in the old long box no less!) at a swap meet for two bucks -- I vaguely remembered reading about them in a 'zine at some point, so even though I thought the album cover was god awful ugly, I figured even if the album sucked, I was only out two bucks. Boy am I glad I gambled that two dollars, because in the ten or twelve years since then, they've become one of my all time favorite bands (the newest album notwithstanding, haha)
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 1:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Now that I think about it, the first Iced Earth album was a "blind purchase" for me. I saw the CD (still sealed, in the old long box no less!) at a swap meet for two bucks -- I vaguely remembered reading about them in a 'zine at some point, so even though I thought the album cover was god awful ugly, I figured even if the album sucked, I was only out two bucks. Boy am I glad I gambled that two dollars, because in the ten or twelve years since then, they've become one of my all time favorite bands (the newest album notwithstanding, haha)

My first Iced Earth purchase was a blind one as well. I saw The Dark Saga advertised in Metal Maniacs as a concept album based on the Spawn comic book (this was around late '96). At the time I was really into Spawn due to the HBO cartoon mini-series and to a lesser extent the comic book and the movie so I got it. Today it remains as one of my favortie albums of all time and I've been an Iced Earth fan ever since.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 1:11 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

My first Iced Earth purchase was a blind one as well. I saw The Dark Saga advertised in Metal Maniacs as a concept album based on the Spawn comic book (this was around late '96). At the time I was really into Spawn due to the HBO cartoon mini-series and to a lesser extent the comic book and the movie so I got it. Today it remains as one of my favortie albums of all time and I've been an Iced Earth fan ever since.

Yep, if memory serves, DARK SAGA was my second I.E. purchase... after buying (and digging) the debut album I went "Wow, I gotta get more of this band!" and ran to the CD store... and lo and behold, DARK SAGA had just been released so I snapped it up... the rest is history, as they say.
lol!
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 1:15 pm

I bought all three Becoming The Archetype releases at the same time a
couple months ago with hearing nothing about them but the name and
genre. I WAS BLOWN AWAY! Luckily. Otherwise, I'd feel like one dumb
WANKER! (tell me that doesn't mean anything really bad!?) lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 1:19 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Otherwise, I'd feel like one dumb
WANKER! (tell me that doesn't mean anything really bad!?)

"Wanker" means one of two things -- either a person who enjoys, um, pleasuring themselves, (if you catch my drift), or a guitarist/musician who employs lots of flash and fancy tricks in his/her playing to hide the fact that they can't write a decent song to save their lives (i.e. Yngwie Malmsteen, DragonForce, etc.)

So which one are you?? Laughing
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 1:34 pm

Sheesh, not exactly the best of choices. UH, the latter?! lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 1:36 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Sheesh, not exactly the best of choices. UH, the latter?! lol!

That would be the smart play. Smile
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 1:38 pm

i'd pick the former. i can do flasher, fancier tricks that way.

T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 1:39 pm

Although, my vision isn't what it used to be. MOM WAS RIGHT!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 1:41 pm

mc666 wrote:
i'd pick the former. i can do flasher, fancier tricks that way.

Laughing very hard

Quote :
Although, my vision isn't what it used to be. MOM WAS RIGHT!

Laughing very hard

You guys are killin' me today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CDS you bought knowing nothing about....
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2