Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Balance Of Power

Go down 
+7
tohostudios
Follower of Jesus
GrandNational
scottmitchell74
stepcousin
kmorg
DallasBlack
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:16 am

Who is a fan of this band. I've been listening to them since 2001 and IMO they are one of the best power/progressive metal bands. While I never heard their debut or the one without Lance King the ones I do have blow me away everytime I listen to them. My favorite by far is Perfect Balance (my first) but the other two I have are great as well and the one song I heard from the post-Lance era was pretty good as well.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:27 am

This is the band with Zero Hour's Chris Salinas, right? Either way, what I've heard of them didn't impress me. They sounded like they worried too much about noodling and being progressive than actually writing good tunes. That opinion could be wrong, through, as I've not heard much. They are on my want lists.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:28 am

Every BoP album is great. My favorites are Perfect Balance and the last studio effort (the name escapes me).

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:44 am

kmorg wrote:
Every BoP album is great. My favorites are Perfect Balance and the last studio effort (the name escapes me).
Well, I did hear them years ago, in my blossoming prog-metal enlightenment phase, so they may sit better with me now.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:59 am

Eyesore wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Well, I did hear them years ago, in my blossoming prog-metal enlightenment phase, so they may sit better with me now.

Do yourself a favor and try them again. They are not so much prog. I'd call them melodic metal with a flair! Very Happy You familiar with Elegy? I think they reminds me of them.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 10:29 am

I like BoP, every album, although I havent heard Heathen Machine so I cant comment on that one.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 8:34 pm

I just got Perfect Balance - my first BOP and it's great! They are on the side of wankery that I can handle. Great melody and songwriting.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 12:44 am

Recently I traded my BoP albums away. Not that I dislike them anymore, I just got bored after awhile. Before trading them away I listened to them in earnest trying to justify why I shouldn't trade them, but the music no longer clicked.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus
Metal student
Metal student
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 121

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 7:53 am

I had Perfect Balance, and it was decent, but I just couldn't get into it. The other BoP album I have, Ten More Tales, is brilliant! I freakin' love that album! I would like, someday, to get a hold of Book of Secrets. Too many other things I want more right now, though.

I don't have much interest in the band since Lance King left.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 8:44 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:
I don't have much interest in the band since Lance King left.

Same here, after Lance left I lost track of these guys. I love Ten More Tales too, to me it is almost on par with Perfect Balance and Book Of Secrets is a very close third.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 9:38 am

I love Ten More Tales and Perfect Balance. This is my kind of prog. The technical wankery is more or less kept in check.

BoP, Shadow Gallery and Royal Hunt are my favorite prog bands.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 6:50 pm

I like Book of Secrets and Ten More Tales. I consider them melodic prog or even heavy AOR. Kinda like early Kamelot.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Heathen Machine is more on the prog side, not as "catchy" as the ones w/Lance, the debut is pretty lame IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 7:09 pm

Both those previous posts above are right on IMO.

I agree BoP are similar to early Kamelot and I also agree Heathen Machine is more prog (which is why I don't like it).

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 7:19 pm

Love the Lance BOP albums, but I have not heard any of the others. Perfect Balance is the best of the three, IMO. Heavy, melodic, good songwriting with a nice dose of prog thrown in for good measure. That's a mighty tasty recipe..... Cool
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 9:26 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Love the Lance BOP albums, but I have not heard any of the others. Perfect Balance is the best of the three, IMO. Heavy, melodic, good songwriting with a nice dose of prog thrown in for good measure. That's a mighty tasty recipe..... Cool

Same here. That was my first intro to BOP and from the first listen it has been a constant in my playlists. This was also at a time when I was still in the Chritian only (and Christian friendly) frame of mind and BOP, while not technically a Christian band, was close enough that I didn't feel the need to distance myself from it.
Back to top Go down

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

You should check out, United States of Mind. It's three of the BOP members, no Lance, but very solid.
Back to top Go down

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 7:18 am

I'll second that USM recommendation, great album with some really catchy (not cheesy) songs. Is it just me or do the Balance of Power albums with Lance King have all the best songs at the beginning and then taper off in quality a little. If Ten More Tales and Perfect Balance combined the first five tracks of each album they would have the perfect album.

The last album is a little heavier and a bit more prog but I love it. Took me two years before it clicked though, I was so bummed out that Lance King was not singing that it wasnt until I treated it as a new band that the songs got their claws into me. With the new singer they remind me of the the UK band Siam, which is another band I'll recommend strongly.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 10:29 am

I never could get into this band.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus
Metal student
Metal student
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 121

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 12:29 pm

ArmouredAngel wrote:
Is it just me or do the Balance of Power albums with Lance King have all the best songs at the beginning and then taper off in quality a little. If Ten More Tales and Perfect Balance combined the first five tracks of each album they would have the perfect album.

I don't know about that. Off TMT, tracks 6 and 10 (About To Burn and Ten More Tales) are two of my favorites. On PB, I like really liked track 6 (Killer Or The Cure).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Balance Of Power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balance Of Power   Balance Of Power Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Balance Of Power
Page 1 of 1