Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal in the rest of the 2020s

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28430

Metal in the rest of the 2020s Empty
PostSubject: Metal in the rest of the 2020s   Metal in the rest of the 2020s Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2021 6:45 pm

What metal bands do you think will hold the niche held in previous decades by...

Metallica/Megadeth? (Note: we'll use ...And Justice for All-era Metallica as the cut-off, not Black Album-era Metallica, as it's obvious no metal band will ever get as big as Black Album-era Metallica ever again)
Slayer?
Pantera?
Behemoth/Mayhem?
Iron Maiden/Judas Priest?
Cannibal Corpse?

This is mainly inspired by a discussion I had a few years ago with someone when Slayer announced their farewell tour, and what band would take Slayer's place in Slayer's venues. The answers were (much to the dismay people would have here) Slipknot, Five Finger Death Punch, and Avenged Sevenfold.

Sad to say it, but I see where they were coming from.

Slayer have already called it a day.

Pantera called it a day in the early 2000s, and then Dimebag was murdered not long afterward. Vinnie Paul dying a few years back officially meant that Pantera would never play a live show again (there was the rumor for a while that Pantera could play some live gigs with Zakk Wylde filling in for Dimebag, but I felt the chances of that happening were paper thin at best; once Vinnie Paul died, that made it nonexistent).

Cannibal Corpse never played at arenas/stadiums (at least not as a headliner), but they're the only death metal band who are able to get by financially on their music alone and not need to resort to day jobs. So I'll mention them for proper death metal.

Iron Maiden and Judas Priest will go on their final tours in the 2020s. Judas Priest even announced one farewell tour already, only to change their mind partway through the tour.

I predict Megadeth will release maybe two more albums before Dave retires from music. I wouldn't be surprised if Metallica stops touring within the next 10 years.

I mention Behemoth and Mayhem because they're the most famous black metal bands. Behemoth are not arena/stadium headliners in North America (they have played those venues as an opening act, such as when they opened for Slayer), but they're huge in Europe. Nergal is a multi-millionaire, so he can get by on his music alone financially.

I remember some people mentioning bands like Gojira and Amon Amarth for heavier bands who will move up to bigger venues. However, those bands have members mostly well into their 40s and released their debut albums 20 years ago or more, so they're not going to play venues any bigger than the ones they've already played after the pandemic ends and things go back to normal. That is, unless they open for a bigger name band.

So please, don't mention any band who released their debut albums 10 years ago or more. Preferably bands who've released their debuts within the last five years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: Metal in the rest of the 2020s   Metal in the rest of the 2020s Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2021 6:16 pm

I personally believe that metal as a whole will not ever see the heights reached in the future as it did in the past. We live in days where there are so much more ways to be entertained as back then. And today's technology has changed the playing field completely.

Add to the fact, the whole media machine is no longer backing rock/metal to the general pop culture and not creating that BIG name anymore. In addition, the whole sub genre descriptions that are attached to bands and their sounds bring bands to the attention to only certain sub sets of fans, diminishing the pool of possible fans.

But to answer your question, I pose the following:
Metallica/Megadeth/Iron Maiden/Priest - really no one. These bands have mass appeal and even a casual fan knows them and increases their audience. I am fine with that because as good as the concert
experience is, the price for these artists are getting beyond my wallet limit. No $150.00 + tickets for me.
Slayer/Pantera - still to be seen. I know LOG has picked up a ton of their fanbase, but they do not meet your 10 year criteria.
Cannibal Corpse - I like Gruesome, but that is just me. Whether they will reach BIG status, dunno.
Behemoth/Mayhem - ?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: Metal in the rest of the 2020s   Metal in the rest of the 2020s Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2021 6:49 pm

Now that Cannibal Corpse is mentioned,

CANNIBAL CORPSE Frontman Says Internet Has Unhealthy Interest In His Neck
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Metal in the rest of the 2020s   Metal in the rest of the 2020s Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 6:10 pm

I think the nwothm bands will continue to keep traditional metal alive..bands like night demon, skullfist, cauldron, enforcer, etc plus all the new bands coming out.. I also think doom and sludge bands will continue to hold their own (the skull, place of skulls, etc)..even though they are kinda old now Ghost will continue to release for many years..Also glam will always hold a place (bands like reckless love, crashdiet, wednesday13, corvid, etc.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal in the rest of the 2020s   Metal in the rest of the 2020s Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal in the rest of the 2020s
Page 1 of 1